Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
I'm buying a new FC 25'

Hello,

I am a new member of this forum and I have some question for the member who currently have a trailer Flying Cloud 25.

I have the choice between a FB or Rear. Do you have more arguments for one model then the other? One model has low fridge, is a long-term problem?

Thank you for your comments

Jean
Chocolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
It's just personal preference as far as I know. Suggest you go look at both, and decide which one you like the best.

Some of the FB models had troubles with leaking around the rear causing floor rot, but I assume they have fixed that. People that have them like the fact the "living room" area is to the back of the parking space.

However, in the end it's something you have to decide. Welcome to the forum and to Airstreaming.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
I was in the same quandry as you when we decided to upsize from our 23.

If you'll pay attention to the living area, and the bath, the following are subtle, but helped us make the final decision:

The rear bedroom's living area is smaller and has one less window on the side of the lounge. AND its' bath is a bit longer.

Of course the rear bedroom has the regular oven (in most instances) and the separate microwave or micro/convection.

We decided on the 25 front bedroom twin because we appreciated the extra living space as opposed to the extra bath.

The cooking appliance differences were not as important.

In our minds the Front Bedroom won hands down.

Good Luck!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Front or rear depends on you and what you are after. What type of camping do you do? If in parks, are most of them set up to take in back views or are they the ones where you back the trailer into a hole with nothing to see out the back but bushes and trees. So far, I would say 60 to 70% of the ones we go to have no view out the back.We also like to watch what is going on in the park, so for us the rear bedroom works great. Just something to think about.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We wanted only an Airstream with the living space in front because we don't always camp in places where the view out the back is terrific. The front living area never has a bad view.

And . . .

The bath is larger, same bath as a 30', and has a window.
The front door is handy to the truck, activity areas, and usually on any provided patio.
There is BOTH a conv/microwave and propane oven.
The bed is in back away from the headlights and campground activity.
The furnace is under the sink, not the side lounge, allowing an easy conversion to recliners and side table (see our avatar).

Others love the front bed for their own reasons. It's a personal choice.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
We purchased our 25FB used before the other floorplan was even available. We love ours mainly because the bed is in the front while the dining area is in the back with the full wrap around windows. Contrary to what someone has said, in our experience the back of the trailer provides the best scenery. Why go camping and look out the front to see the back end of your truck and people driving by on the road? We have traveled extensively through the west and have stayed at a very few campgrounds with restricted views out the back.

A draw back, for some, is that the 25FB does not have a microwave. There are times when we would like a microwave but we like the full sized fridge and the gas oven far more and would not give up either to gain a microwave. I also am not a fan of the convection oven as it requires 110V and we are not always connected.

The best advice has already been passed along. You need to go sit in them and get a feel for the one you like the best. It will be a give and take sort of exercise. Good luck.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not to be argumentative, but we do have the front living space as mentioned above and I keep hearing about looking out at the back of the truck.

I can never remember camping and leaving the truck hooked to the front of the trailer, unless it's overnight at the Flying J or Walmart.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
We decided on the FB because we like the living are in the rear with wrap around windows. Where we have stayed, mostly, the rear view is better, although in some places there is a choice of better front or rear view.
I have no experience in the RB and I am pleased with the FB layout of the toilet, kitchen appliances, etc. I will say the one shortcoming of the FB, on ours, is that the AC unit blows most of its air aft so the bedroom is too warm or the living room is too cold. We solved that problem with a fan on the kitchen counter blowing forward. The noise is minimal compared to the AC unit, but I do not know how the RB works out for AC.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
We have the rear twin bed 25' FC and chose it for the bigger bath and the inclusion of both the oven and microwave. After using it for a while we have also come to appreciate the proximity of the entry door to the back of our tow vehicle; very handy for transferring our cats from one vehicle to the other, plus more convenient access to tools that I keep in the back of the TV. Never have given any consideration to the views from the front or rear--we find that to be a tossup while in the campground. We encounter the really grand views away from the trailer and campground anyway.
We also think that the decision on twin vs queen beds is at least as important as the choice between front and rear orientation, perhaps even more important. To us the better interior maneuverability with the twin beds is a major contributor to the livability of our FC.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
We have/had the 25 FC FB queen. It is now being converted to the twin beds. Unless you are an acrobat, the side of the bed next to the front is difficult to get in. "so says my wife" and she is the queen, not the bed.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
We have/had the 25 FC FB queen. It is now being converted to the twin beds. Unless you are an acrobat, the side of the bed next to the front is difficult to get in. "so says my wife" and she is the queen, not the bed.
mike
I don't know why this tickled my funny bone, but it did. Good one!
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Twin beds, queen bed, or perhaps the fore/aft queen bed of the larger Airstreams? A livability question to consider.

Again, this is a personal choice about the way you live and and maybe your physical abilities. We have the rear queen bed set east-west. Some complain about this but we never give it a thought, just the way it works and it works fine. Presently. As we age, if preferring space in the center, we may remodel our queen bed to twin beds.

Nonetheless the 25 is a nice Airstream in all its versions, smallest of the large Airstreams with great livability features in a more compact package. We are wrapping up our third 6 month trip in ours and looking forward to the next.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Similar, but different.

Hi, we have a rear queen Safari; Similar to the rear queen Flying Cloud. Our bathroom is all in one. Front bedroom models have bath on one side and shower on the other side. I like it all in one. The front bedrooms are prettier, but I think the rear bedrooms are more practical. [my opinion] Always, the best view is from out side; We don't sit in our trailer all day looking out the windows. Front bedroom trailers seemed to have more water leaks. Our trailer came with a stove top, an oven, and a micro wave. And in most camp grounds, the rear door is much closer to your neighbors sewer connection. You might also consider the location of your escape window, that we hope we never have to use.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:34 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
We have a rear bed 28' Safari. If you need a quiet nights sleep you will have a better chance of it with a rear bed in most campgrounds. But, it either case, you learn how to pick campsites based on you own trailer configuration when you have a choice. Our bath is split. We close off the front of the trailer by fully opening the toilet room door and the bathroom and bedroom are now one big room. Works for us. Either way you go, you will figure out something that suits your needs. Happy camping!
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Before downsizing to a 23FB last November, we spent almost 1,400 nights in our 2005 25FB (the first year of the FB floor plan) over an eight year period. We found the FB floor plan very livable and comfortable We also found that much more often than not, the view was better out of the trailer's back end.

That being said, if we were to up size again to a 25 footer, we would be hard pressed to decide between the front and rear bedroom models. We added a custom built cabinet in out 25FB for our printer and microwave which took up the refrigerator end of our couch. This worked well for us as both the microwave and the printer are absolute necessities for us.

Good luck in your decision.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
4th Airstream

1st 3 were traditional rear bedroom, some w side bath, some w split bath. Split bath is wonderful as you can close off the living area and have a large bathroom dressing area space.

The rear bedroom trailers were all very comfortable but this time we desired to be able to sit in the living area and enjoy the view. We often have a great view of a lake or river or mtns. We changed out the micro/convection to a range w oven. I need an oven. We will install a small micro in the cabinet above the dinette. We also modified the dinette, so it is smaller most of the time and still available to use at full size when needed. I made new drapes for both the dining and bedroom Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Table Mods 3-3-14 023.jpg
Views:	1267
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	210146
The bottom line is you have to decide, no one can make that decision for you.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That's a very nice looking dinette area. The wine set-up is a nice touch.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Hello everyone,

First of all I want to thank you for your comments.

We have always had the bedroom at the front of the trailer and wanted to know from you if there were benefits I did not know to get a room at the back. Regardless of the campsite there will always be advantages or disadvantages that the room is at the back or front.

I understand between the FB model or R everyone is benefiting. I received a comment on the twins that made ​​me think about this possibility.

For the R pattern, the fridge is at floor level. Daily, is this a problem? We have always had a fridge above (the converter below)

Thank you and good day!

Jean
Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
You have a very nice dinette, colors, wine and the owl on the cushion
Old 05-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #20

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
We just bought a FC 27' FB (queen bed cause we like to spoon!) this least weekend! Can't wait to hit the road. We considered the 25' but liked extra galley counted space and the positioning of the bed in the 27'.
wrancho is offline   Reply With Quote