Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Malibu , California
Smile Hypothetical Mod in a 19 FC-Is this possible?

Calling all 19 footers and conversion experts. If someone called on you to design a way to modify the rear bed of a 19 footer so that it is a full 60" wide, how would you do it?

My thinking: Remove the rear sink next to the bathroom. Lengthen the bathroom/shower compartment to include that now void square space, move the toilet down into the space facing the rear of the trailer. Keep plumbing of the shower the same but narrow it and extend it in the direction of the toilet-with a movable head plumbing wouldn't have to change. Remove the wall divider between the shower and the bed and extend the width of the bed here (necessitating cutting down the shower enclosure).

Would what the difficulties be with what I suggested? Is the wiring between the bed and the shower enclosure? What would re-doing the plumbing for the toilet entail?

Really would like to entertain this idea, if just for fun. Understand some will really want to recommend a bigger or different trailer, but I'm wondering how some of you experienced with the rear design of the trailer would do it if you had to.

Thanks! Much appreciated
kfo4173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:55 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Interesting idea but wow seems like a lot of work! I can see where a narrow bathroom might be more appealing than the narrow bed.

The toilet sits directly over the black tank. Moving it might be really hard to plumb back up.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Save yourself lots of time, lots of money, and retained value and usefulness of your Airstream by getting one that fits you in the first place. Dreaming can be fun but the reality is ridiculous.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Malibu , California
Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised nobody has at least considered the idea! Does the blackwater sit directly below the toilet?

In the process of getting quotes from several ex-airstream factory workers who now work independently and other restoration companies. Will post an update when I get a better idea of what the work will take and cost all said and done for any interested!
kfo4173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfo4173 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised nobody has at least considered the idea! Does the blackwater sit directly below the toilet?
Yes, the black tank sits directly below the toilet. You can confirm this by looking down into the toilet when the ball is open. It helps to turn off the water when you do this inspection to get a clear view. It is not advisable to disrupt this relationship by trying to plumb into the black tank horizontally as you might see in a house. If you need to relocate the toilet to do what you want either plan on relocating the black tank, or get a cassette or a composting toilet (both of which have their own pluses and minuses.)

Enjoy your fantasizing, but unless you want to spend a lot of money and have very little to show for it, I would suggest that you find another floor plan that comes closer to meeting your needs.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Campbell , California
I understand the problem - We love our 19, but the bath takes a large share of the space and we would prefer more windows in the rear. I have wondered if Airstream considered using the combo bath from the 16 to free up some space in the 19. But, we have not considered a conversion. Looking forward to responses. ~ Ken
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
How about go to a composting toilet, then you don't have to worry about the black tank issue?

Do you use the shower very much? We do not use ours at all, we prefer to use campground showers so we don't end up steaming up our tiny trailer. But at least our shower does not take any extra space (it is the standing room between the sink and toilet). I would not be happy if a big chunk of our living space was taken up exclusively by a shower.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfo4173 View Post
Calling all 19 footers and conversion experts. If someone called on you to design a way to modify the rear bed of a 19 footer so that it is a full 60" wide, how would you do it?
[snip]
It might be easier and cheaper to get the factory to build a slide-out for the bed, which is on the curb side, so there is plenty of room if you don't mind hanging out over the curb . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
In 19', that will be a real challenge. We will be doing something like this in our 1950 22' liner since there were no tanks, plumbing or really, floor. We will be welding a new frame so it is a blank slate for tanks. The reason I want to redesign is I don't want the bed area and shower or toilet splitting a window. Originally, it did.

We have taped off the floor and found a solution that allows the toilet which will drop straight into the black tank on the road side with a full window and shower a little forward on the curb side, no window and drops with p trap into the gray tank along with easy drain of the kitchen sink. We will have no bath sink. The doors to both will block the hallway for privacy on toilet from both bed and living area. The shower will have a seat because at 5' 10", I don't think I can stand in the shower with the short ceilings in the 1950 but it will work. The bed will not be as big as 60" due to the camper width but it will be the full camper width in the back and decent size for me and DW to sleep on.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you own it...

You own it and can do anything to it you want. HOWEVER you're very likely to end up with a money pit, and if you don't have a deep understanding of what the entire process is and the consequences of every step you're likely to end up with something that is (A) a money pit and (B) will always be a kluged up mess rather than an elegant solution.

I know that sounded brutal - and rude too - I apologize in advance, but you can go back through this forum for 10-12 years and find wonderful renovations - and abandoned disasters - and a few real oddballs that kinda defy description like Pamela Anderson's white Airstream complete with a round bed with a stripper pole. And a gypsy wagon - "Magnolia" something. What you want to do sounds like a disaster getting ready to happen.

I'll do a few links to some in the next post.

IF you really want a custom Airstream you should know that there are a few high end remodelers that Airstream will sell an empty shell to - they can then make a safe, stable, durable custom model for you. Still a money pit, but you end up with a great useable trailer.

Do a search on Timeless Travel Trailers.

Paula
Old 12-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
https://picasaweb.google.com/Lulusug...92171841674562

use the arrows - goodness gracious me!

Magnolia Pearl it's different

http://www.magnoliapearl.com/Romanti...ntichomes.html

Here is a "done RIGHT" saga - Joe sold this and retired from RV'ing early this year. Shoulda coulda mighta jumped...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html
Old 12-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great links thanks.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote