Old 05-04-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Brownsburg , Indiana
Honda EU2000i

Just got this generator and wondering ... will it power my AC? I have a 2010 FC with 13,000 BTU AC/Heat pump.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Simple answer, no. Not enough juice to support the start up surge in most cases. Most here seem to use two of the 2000s for running the AC.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Get another and connect the 2 together to power the AC.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
You bought a generator without first determining your electrical needs?

Chances are your "2000" gen only provides 1600-1800 watts with the marketing department assigning the "2000" label to the machine. An AC will require more than 2000 amps to start and 1200-1500 to continue running after it's compressor has started. Very unlikely your new gen will run your AC, and even if it does, your other elect. appliances will likely overload it if the AC is running, and your gen and/or AC will fail early due to frequent overloading.

When selecting a generator, I believe one should tally up the elect loads anticipated and add 50%... and select the gen accordingly. This means you likely need at least a 3000 watt gen.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrij0ir View Post
Just got this generator and wondering ... will it power my AC? I have a 2010 FC with 13,000 BTU AC/Heat pump.
It works for me running one unit and nothing else!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
This seems to come up over and over again. Even if your unit runs on such a small generator, the voltage drop and starting current surge when your compressor starts will kill your generator and compressor much sooner than either manufacturer intended. Do not do it! Get a generator sized to handle the starting current.
Larry
Old 05-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Vancouver , Washington
There are lots of previous posts on this subject. Poke around in these forums and you'll find lots of good info.

You've already made a good decision to get the Honda 2000. It's a great generator and will handle many of your needs. But, you'll need to also get the Honda 2000 Companion to run your AC. Get the Companion 2000 because it has a 30 amp outlet (requires a special adapter plug to use with your AS's power cord). Then, get the connector cables so that you can use the two Honda 2000's simultaneously. That will give you plenty of juice to run your AC and other stuff in your trailer.

I have this setup and love it. It's nice to have the flexibility of using just one of the generators if you don't need both. And, I like the lighter weight of the single generators.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
This seems to come up over and over again. Even if your unit runs on such a small generator, the voltage drop and starting current surge when your compressor starts will kill your generator and compressor much sooner than either manufacturer intended. Do not do it! Get a generator sized to handle the starting current.
Larry
I am interested in seeing any documented information that shows that either the generator or AC unit will be damaged. I have seen this statement over and over, but have never seen a source of information that it was in fact, fact.

It certainly could be true but in years of reading it, no one has ever provided any information backing up the statement, at least none that I have ever seen.

Larry, this is not in any way a challenge to you or anyone else for stating it. I honestly would like to see some study, some factual information, from some authoritative source backing it up. Does anyone have it? Or does it just seem logical or has been stated so many times that now it is true?

Once again, I am not saying it is not true, but would like to see what it is based on.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrij0ir View Post

These are fantastic generators. They make a "EU2000I-companion" unit that pairs up with your EU2000I via a set of cords to give you plenty of AMPs to run the AC and all your other appliances. They also have a overload protection feature that simply shuts down the charger there is a green and red LED to indicate this function. So I do not believe you will hurt the Gen. However it is definitely not good for the AC unit.
So there is an inexpensive fix called a Hard Start Capacitor. It easily connect to the AC wiring and will allow you to use a single gen to start and run the AC. I have not done this myself However I do Know some one who does this and it works. Here is a link.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Idroba,

Two replies but none of my experience comes from RV's; I spent decades in the boating world...more if you count my submarine time.
First, the theory is simple, based on Ohm's law and induction motors. The starting current WILL be 3-5 times the running current. If the source is weak, whether an undersized generator or a very long shorepower line with inherent voltage drop, the current surge will be even higher. The spike is brief so if it does not trip a breaker it just acts to break down the insulation a little more than design, each time the compressor starts.
I have never seen empirical studies on how much the compressor life is reduced, but I have seen boat AC units replaced because the compressor failed.
So, why would you undertake an activity that you know is doing harm, even if you cannot measure it? No big deal if you trade-in your trailer like a car; a bigger deal if you intend to keep your trailer long term.
Larry
Old 05-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Larry: certainly compressors fail, but what is the reason? Can it be directly tied to over current on starting? Or for some other reason?

Compressors have an overload switch which cuts the power off to the compressor when the temp/current exceeds the design conditions (think of what happens when the power fails for a second or two, and the compressor will not restart, but you can hear the clicking of the overload switch until it finally starts).

Yes, the starting current is higher, and maybe for a longer time, but is it within the design specs of the compressor manufacturer and thus no problem? Compressor manufacturers certainly don't want their product to fail and design against it. Blips in the power knocking AC and refrigerator compressors happen all the time. Some units have a built in delay to prevent restart, as the manufacture knows that it is a problem. Those which don't, seem to rely on the the overload switches to keep them from starting until conditions are right. Again, I do not know for sure one way or the other if this is a real life shortening cycle, or not. And what I would like to see is some information from a reliable source such as a manufactures statement that their compressor life is shortened by attempted starts on marginal power sources such as a generator with questionable capacity.

You see, I don't "know I am doing harm". I might suspect it, but I may be totally wrong and the compressor or AC manufacture has designed the unit to take it in stride. That is what I really want to know.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

We will never agree and you will never see data that specifically addresses your concern. Every manufacturer will tell you their design is solid. You are clearly free to do what you want to do; I tend to think about extending the life of my equipment as best I can. A different example is start/stop in newer cars. I don't care how much the manufacturers say the starter, battery, and engine components will easily handle the additional cycles. If I am going to keep the car, I am going to turn off start/stop.
Larry
Old 05-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
The Honda is protected by its own breaker. The air conditioner needs to be protected by a correctly sized breaker.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My experience is that a new A/C unit run in San Antonio heat at marginal line voltage will fry the compressor in a year. That's why our AS has a new A/C unit and I'm installing a surge suppressor and voltage monitor before I go camping again.

Anecdotal, but yeah, I'm quite sure it overheated the compressor and led to the hard failure. Running an AC motor on less than rated voltage is a good way to shorten it's life.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote