Old 05-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
There is almost nothing in the RV world to look at that is empirical or research to answer questions.

Towing Hitches...no hard data.

Generators/electrical...engineers make recommendations based on their designs it looks like, but the data about causation for AC compressor failures could prove tricky for sure....I suppose a study could be done systematically using 100 with X generator and 100 with Y generator that is conventionally speaking underpowered but managed to run...and see the outcomes....but the manufacturers see no incentive to do this kind of research.

Anecdotally, I found that for many airstreamers and on RV net and other places, a 2000 watt unit would often (not always) fail to start up a 13.5k AC unit. Some would describe that in some conditions it could start it and others it could.

That anecdotal experience is pretty well documented, and pretty darn well establishes that, more functionally, the single Honda will not get that job done in a good deal of situations (perhaps it depends on humidity, temp, elevation?? I don't know?).

If someone is asking "will it work" before they buy the Honda 2000, then it may be more important to point out that, but best accounts, it very well may not all things considered. But if they already have that one, or were planning on getting the 2nd unit if it doesn't work, I guess then the question becomes "well, if it actually successfully fires up my AC unit, then is this bad?", then you get into this question of "is it good for the health of my equipment".

I have no idea....I hope there would be like electrical engineers somewhere that could explain exactly how and why it would be harmful, but the fact is, that it does appear pretty clearly to be marginal standing on its own for this use...but for me, I would not be very happy running an AC on that even if you could get it to work...my darn toilet even takes juice to flush, and I suspect any bit of extra demand will exceed the capacity...

It seems pretty obvious though that some day pretty "soon" that we will all just use something like a Honda 2000 to run our rigs, including AC unit, when better technology continues to improve and prices of components get better, we can just like what? use battery juice from an inverter only during the spikes needed when compressor kicks on...I think some people have actually done this already, but it will become more and more mainstream I would guess.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I understand anecdotal information and understand opinions, what I would like to see is some hard information on the subject.

Once again, I am not challenging anyone who makes the statement as fact, I simply would like some solid backup. Maybe none exists which leaves us right where we are now, free to state that low voltage on startup kills compressors. However, that does not prove it. I simply would like some statistical data, or manufacturers statements to back it up. Thats all I am asking.

I don't even have a dog in this hunt. I have a Honda 1000 which is too small to use with an AC unit, and a Honda 3000 which is too heavy to carry and I very seldom camp when I need AC anyway.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
idroba...I work in medicine....you really have no idea how much I sympathize with what you are saying!!! (anecdotal BS among the masses about medical subjects gives me headaches)

But, devils advocate, when is the last time on any RV forum peer reviewed science was cited?

That is not an argument really against a desire to have more of it, but rather, a realization that as far as I can tell, none exists, or at least next to none.

IF the anecdotal information is all there is to be had, then at best individuals can ask for a) expert opinion based on scientific knowledge alone and b) anecodotal accounts.

I know how to search for data using MEDLINE for medical subjects...I really do not know how to search for peer reviewed research on such a subject?

I am going to go out on a limb and speculate that this particular question, and the data that would prove the point definitively does not exist in the manner you are thinking about? If it does, then that would trump instantly all anecdotal accounts assuming decent quality data.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I just did a google scholar search for starters, and my search terms kinda failed it seems....bunch of articles cited with no relevance

Old 05-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I do not understand why you want to fight the obvious "science" with positive proof. This is the kind of thing we were taught in the Navy about operating equipment. You take the science and extrapolate to operating practices. Not everything in life has a determinative study to prove the point. But, you have the freedom to operate your trailer any way you want to, I do not argue with that.
Larry
Old 05-04-2015, 05:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Honda EU2000i

Just go to the search engine.
Type in:
How low voltage will damage motors.
Plenty of data there.
Look for "motorsanddrives.com
Old 05-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad518 View Post
There are lots of previous posts on this subject. Poke around in these forums and you'll find lots of good info.

You've already made a good decision to get the Honda 2000. It's a great generator and will handle many of your needs. But, you'll need to also get the Honda 2000 Companion to run your AC. Get the Companion 2000 because it has a 30 amp outlet (requires a special adapter plug to use with your AS's power cord). Then, get the connector cables so that you can use the two Honda 2000's simultaneously. That will give you plenty of juice to run your AC and other stuff in your trailer.

I have this setup and love it. It's nice to have the flexibility of using just one of the generators if you don't need both. And, I like the lighter weight of the single generators.
Ditto.

Same set-up here and we love it as well.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Check in with R2DTube about this... they tow a 2007 16' Bambi with a 4Runner. We have traveled with them and they seem to have no issues with it.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #23
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
1. what is the sustained output of your generator (amps, watts makes no difference) your owner manual will have that information.
2. what is the start up amperage/watt draw of your AC
3. what is the constant load of your AC, amps/watts

that is all the information you need to have to make this decision for yourself. electricity is not mysterious and once you have the above information you should realize where the above advice is coming from.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
The voltage drop at start up damages the compressor. However, people have had great success with "soft start capacitors" that store the needed initial spike needed and therefore do not put the wear on the compressor. That being said, I would only use it if I had too vice as a permanent fix. I would still go with two eu 2000, but always have the ability in an emergency to runoff of one.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
Starting an electric motor (compressor) on low voltage would be like starting from a stop with your car in 3rd gear all the time. The cars motor and tranny, clutch will do it if you take your time, but it does put unnecessary
wear/tear on the components.

Joe D
Old 10-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Roxboro , North Carolina
Beyond the starting issue according to my surge/low voltage protector my AC draws a couple more Amps than my Honda 2000 would provide while running.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:52 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
Almost afraid to jump in on this, but

When you are dry camping and start up you gender, the battery charger (converter) kicks in immediately. The current draw of the charger must be added to the current reqd to run the air conditioner. Additionally the refrigerator may auto select ac shore power unless in "gas" mode.
The Honda 2000 will stand over current by a large extent for a long period (1\2 hour according to owner manual). Just be sure the ecothrottle is "off" when you want to start air conditioning.
I have measured starting current of our Dometic air conditioner on 2015 FC many times. Typically 24 amp, this is within spec for Honda 2000.
But if you are already supporting the battery charger you could be adding another7-9 amps load. That would cause overload tripping generator output breaker.
My suggestion, turn off all other ac circuits when you want to run air conditioning.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormalong View Post
[snip]
I have measured starting current of our Dometic air conditioner on 2015 FC many times. Typically 24 amp, this is within spec for Honda 2000.
[snip]
Are you sure about this? I thought the Honda 2000 is rated for only 2000 watts, or around 15 amps safely, so it would take two paired 2000 units to handle the A/C, esp. at start up.

Thanks.