Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #1

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Vero Beach , Florida
Height of Stairs and from Ground to Threshold?

Hi Everyone!

Silly question as you may wonder "WHy don't you just go measure yourself?" Well....my Airstream is unfortunately getting repaired so I can't....

I need to order some steps for the Airstream to allow my Mom to get into our Flying Cloud. She broke her knee and it hasn't healed correctly so she has a difficult time with steep stairs.

I located some easier stairs at www.rv-co.com. These may just be the answer! BUT!!!! I need some measurements before ordering....

If anyone happens to have these, I would be SOOO happy! We have a 2016 28' Flying Cloud with the rear twin beds...I am assuming the measurements would be about the same for any AS, though...?

1 - What is the height from the Airstream threshold to the ground?

2 - What is the height from the top step to the threshold?

3 - What is hte width of the steps?

Thank you SOOOOO much!

MG
MaryGladys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryGladys View Post
. . .
1 - What is the height from the Airstream threshold to the ground?
2 - What is the height from the top step to the threshold?
3 - What is hte width of the steps?
. . .
Welcome to the forum!

As you likely realize you should probably wait to measure your trailer (after you have her leveled properly), but for your general planning purposes here is what our 2014 FC20 black steel steps are -- rounded to the nearest 1/4" and +/- :

1. 22 1/2"
2. 7 1/2"
3. 24"

This means the top step is 15" off the ground +/- , which seems like the dimension the mfg. needs for the top platform of their system (IMO). If I am seeing this right, are you aiming for the 2-step model (one regular lower step, and one higher step which is actually a small platform)? As shown on the right here:

http://www.rv-co.com/Portastep.html

Again I would recommend that you use these dimensions only to "get in the ballpark" with your planning, and that you do not order from them.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Have you considered the Port-a-Deck configuration, which would let you have more steps with a smaller "rise" for each step? More money, but gentler on the old legs and knees. [ Take it from one who knows . . . ]

http://www.rv-co.com/Portadeck.html

With this set-up, you could have a "main deck" which is just under the trailer's main entry door when it swings open, making the transition into the trailer much easier IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote