Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
[QUOTE=SilverGate;1509465]Ditto the above, except the maximum speed for ST tires is 65 mph.

Not necessarily so SilverGate

""Hello Howard,

According to the Tire and Rim Association the inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. However, if the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:

From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.

From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.

We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your email and interest in Maxxis Tires.

Best Regards,

Your Maxxis Support Team""

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #102
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
[QUOTE=Howard L.;1509796]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
Ditto the above, except the maximum speed for ST tires is 65 mph.

Not necessarily so SilverGate

""Hello Howard,

According to the Tire and Rim Association the inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. However, if the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:

From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.

From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.

We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your email and interest in Maxxis Tires.

Best Regards,

Your Maxxis Support Team""

Personally, I would not even consider doing what they suggest. For one thing, the max rated pressure is not readily available for most tires. The pressure on the side wall of a ST tire is the pressure required to carry the max rated load at 65 MPH or less. Nowhere is the max rated pressure stated. If you follow the advice in that email, I would carry that email with you to help explain what happened when the ST tires disintegrate.

Once again, my personal opinion.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
[QUOTE=Ag&Au;1509800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post

Personally, I would not even consider doing what they suggest. For one thing, the max rated pressure is not readily available for most tires. The pressure on the side wall of a ST tire is the pressure required to carry the max rated load at 65 MPH or less. Nowhere is the max rated pressure stated. If you follow the advice in that email, I would carry that email with you to help explain what happened when the ST tires disintegrate.

Once again, my personal opinion.

Ken

Well Ken, I don't think you understand. And, I don't want to waste your time trying to convince you. However, the message quoted above from Maxxis is not their statement, it's the guideline put out by the same "Tire and Rim Association" who set the 65 mph for all ST tires no matter what brand or what ply rating. If your tire is not carrying it's max load (weight, as posted on its sidewall) then it can be operated faster than 65mph if their 10 psi and/or 10% load reductions are followed. Of course you must check the "Load/Inflation charts" for your specific tire to calculate that. As far as the tire itself, all ST tires are manufactured to at least a speed rating of 85 mph. The Maxxis 8008 ST 10 ply tire is built and tested as a "Q" rated tire: 99 mph.
By the way, the max rated pressure is available. It is the number posted on the sidewall. That's it, that's the max you are to inflate to cold. It really has nothing to do with 65mph.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:17 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
"Sweet spot" towing speed is below 65 mph!

Many of us, especially those who pull a trailer with a diesel truck, feel that the "sweet spot" towing speed for safety and fuel economy is 62 mph. I have a hunch that many of those who have had ST tire failures used tires that were not properly monitored, under-inflated or overinflated, pulled over 65 mph, and/or were over 5 years old.

More about ST (trailer) tires:

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #105
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
[QUOTE=Howard L.;1509806]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post

Well Ken, I don't think you understand. And, I don't want to waste your time trying to convince you. However, the message quoted above from Maxxis is not their statement, it's the guideline put out by the same "Tire and Rim Association" who set the 65 mph for all ST tires no matter what brand or what ply rating. If your tire is not carrying it's max load (weight, as posted on its sidewall) then it can be operated faster than 65mph if their 10 psi and/or 10% load reductions are followed. Of course you must check the "Load/Inflation charts" for your specific tire to calculate that. As far as the tire itself, all ST tires are manufactured to at least a speed rating of 85 mph. The Maxxis 8008 ST 10 ply tire is built and tested as a "Q" rated tire: 99 mph.
By the way, the max rated pressure is available. It is the number posted on the sidewall. That's it, that's the max you are to inflate to cold. It really has nothing to do with 65mph.

Please cite where you get this information (in bold) from.

I believe ST tires are load rated at 65MPH. Maxxis does not recommend towing a trailer over 65MPH on their Q&A section.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
[QUOTE=Top;1509982]
Quote:

Please cite where you get this information (in bold) from.

I believe ST tires are load rated at 65MPH. Maxxis does not recommend towing a trailer over 65MPH on their Q&A section.

Never said Maxxis recommended towing above 65 or any speed for that matter. Posting the facts of the Tire and Rim association's guidelines for ST tire's towing speeds. Suggest you call and talk to Maxxis about the speed rating of their tires yourself. That way you will have the information you request directly from the manufacturer.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #107
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
I have no personal need to call Maxxis. I do not own, install or sell any ST tire of any kind, size or manufacturer.

I think you have your information from TRA mixed up. Please post what you are referencing or where to find it.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I have no personal need to call Maxxis. I do not own, install or sell any ST tire of any kind, size or manufacturer.

I think you have your information from TRA mixed up. Please post what you are referencing or where to find it.

""I have no personal need to call Maxxis. I do not own, install or sell any ST tire of any kind, size or manufacturer.""

Then you have no reason in knowing anything about them do you? Again, if you do care, your own research would serve you best.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #109
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
On the contrary

Quote:
""I have no personal need to call Maxxis. I do not own, install or sell any ST tire of any kind, size or manufacturer.""

Then you have no reason in knowing anything about them do you? Again, if you do care, your own research would serve you best.

Oh, but I beg to differ. I do have a need to know the facts. We all do. What I'm asking for, is for you to post a link or otherwise back up the claims you make concerning ST tires being speed rated at 85 MPH. If you can't do that, then it would seem that your posts are fairy tales at best.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:46 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Trailer tire facts and basics

Trailer Tire Facts

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
http://www.realdealtires.com/tires/v...ler-225-75r15/

OK, Here is a teaser for you Top. Again, write or call Maxxis if you want the full explanation of speed exceptions up to 85. Goodyear covers the speed exceptions to their ST tires in a product service bulletin, 2014-01. The Tire Rack will lead you to some ST Speed exceptions for GY, Power King, Greenball, etc. Modyourrv.com, same information. Discount tire? I can only assume they just want to sell more expensive LT tires, or, they just really don't know. The Discount tire I deal with, does preach the 65 mph only speed--tire will come apart if you exceed. ModYourRV.com has the best advice--put tires on that have at least 25% more weight carrying ability than your trailer weighs and keep them aired right up there to max. With LT or ST tires you then have tires doing much less work than they are capable of. With the ST tire you automatically have the ability to run them up to 75 mph if you need to.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #112
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
These are good..

Goodyear H/T
Highway All-Season
Size:
LT215/75R15 106/103Q
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Doug

Funny, after all the agreement on the reliability of 16" Michelins, you would ask about tire pressure, where there is general disagreement. And for good reason if the Michelins are causing a rough ride for your Airstream.

The Airstream factory placard for 16" Michelin-equipped models is 80 psi. Many say that is too much, so the question is what is too little, the point where we might get sidewall "wobble" from sway forces. Or overheating in some climates.

I'm trying 70-75 psi next long trip for our Airstream as we load it (lightly) depending on where we are. A particularly rough road may have me letting a little air out, we'll see how it goes.

73 psi cold (@40 degrees ambient) seems to work well for us on our 16" Michelins; however, the pressure does go up to 82 psi as the outside temperature raises (85-90 degrees) and the tires have rolled down the road at 55-62 mph. Checking tire surface temperatures shows it fairly even across the tread. YMMV
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
73 psi cold (@40 degrees ambient) seems to work well for us on our 16" Michelins; however, the pressure does go up to 82 psi as the outside temperature raises (85-90 degrees) and the tires have rolled down the road at 55-62 mph. Checking tire surface temperatures shows it fairly even across the tread. YMMV
Thanks for this - I have them set right now at 70psi and will monitor them with my TMPS in the truck.
With us leaving tomorrow, it will not take long to figure out if it working or not

Thanks again

Doug
Old 09-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Doug, have a great trip and check in with your results on tire pressure.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have had many ST tire failure issues over the years on other trailers before our Airstream experience.

I have never had a Michelin tire failure in over 40+ years.

Thus, I installed 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires on the 25FB with a GVW of 7,300 pounds and the 16" Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires on our 31' Classic with a GVW of 10,000 pounds.Both trailers also had Centramatic wheel balancers and the Classic has a Dill TPMS as well.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Well the tires have been running really well... We have run about 1500 km the past few days with outdoor temps in the low 90's. I'm running the tires (cold) at 70psi. The temp in the tires has stayed under (outdoor + 8) so they are running very cool so far.