Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #57
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,769
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopps View Post
It looks like the table is for XPS RIB "RV" tires or can you assume its valid for all LT tires? Don't get me wrong. I'm looking to replace the GYM but i don't want a harsh ride.
Most (if not all) tire manufacturer publish their own tables for their tires. I would not assume that Michelin's tables apply to tires from another manufacturer. Check out the web site for the manufacturer of any tire you are considering to determine the proper tire pressure for your trailer's load.
__________________

__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #58
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
My thinking is my Michelin 16" LT at 35 psi would be pretty wobbly on the sidewall. These are not actually trailer tires, and I believe trailer tires should have a stiff sidewall to avoid trailer sway.

For that reason it does't seem reasonable the referenced table should be applied when the tires are used on a travel trailer.

So that is my concern with low pressure is not that the tire will overheat and blow, but that it will cause our Airstream to be unstable.
__________________

__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #59
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,799
Images: 8
Note that the tire pressure table in question above is for the Michelin "XPS Rib" model summer rated LT tire, not the Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 "all season rated" installed by the Airstream factory on the Eddie Bauer and 2015 31' Classic.

There might be some differences between the two tires besides a slightly taller 0.2" diameter on the XPS R ib tire.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #60
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,769
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
My thinking is my Michelin 16" LT at 35 psi would be pretty wobbly on the sidewall. These are not actually trailer tires, and I believe trailer tires should have a stiff sidewall to avoid trailer sway.

For that reason it does't seem reasonable the referenced table should be applied when the tires are used on a travel trailer.
So that is my concern with low pressure is not that the tire will overheat and blow, but that it will cause our Airstream to be unstable.
The table provided by Michelin is specifically for RVs. But the 35 psi recommendation is for a lighter vehicle than an Airstream. Michelin's recommended 45-50 psi covers the typical load on a tire mounted on a modern Airstream.
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #61
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,769
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Note that the tire pressure table in question above is for the Michelin "XPS Rib" model summer rated LT tire, not the Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 "all season rated" installed by the Airstream factory on the Eddie Bauer and 2015 31' Classic.

There might be some differences between the two tires besides a slightly taller 0.2" diameter on the XPS R ib tire.
You are correct, switz. I have the table for the proper tire in a hard copy format and used it for my original calculations. When I went to post the electronic link above (for the convenience of others) I did not notice that it was for a slightly different tire. I am having trouble finding a link to the electronic copy of the specific Michelin tire that Airstream puts on the EB's. However, the figures on the link are the same as the ones I have on my hard copy so I think the information on that link can be used safely. Especially if one puts in a margin of 10 psi as I have.
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #62
Rivet Master
 
terryV's Avatar
 
2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires and SenDel T03-66655T wheels are standard on the 2015 31' Classic. They should have been installing them a long time ago with the Classic's GVW of 10,000 pounds. These Michelin tires are rated 2,680 pounds at 80psi and are not speed limited like the the GoodYear Marathons that are rated 2,540 pounds at 65psi and a speed limited to 65mph per their sidewall. The Michelins are 29.2" in diameter while the GoodYears are 28.3" tall. Thus the trailer will have just under " more ground clearance.

The tire you want is Michelin part number #05681. Five cost me around $1,188 mounted on my rims at CostCo. They may be in short supply due to the recall for an issue on a prior model that is being replaced with the current version.
Where is the best place to buy these wheels and tires?
__________________
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member
 
silverbp's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 133
Well good question. Im going to our local Discount Tire Store today and have them give me a price on both Tires and Rims. Im also moving up to the 16" wheel. I can share what I find out if you like. I know the ballpark for this and its not cheap but I will sleep better knowing the GYM are no longer on my trailer. I know there are lots of people who like the Goodyear Tire and I hope so because I plan on selling tires /wheels on line soon. they are all but new so I plan on seeing what Discount Tire charges for new ones (wheel & tire ) and I plan on selling for half price. So if you know anyone who wants new tires with less the 500 miles that came off a 2014 Fling Cloud 25..then let me know.. Have a great day...
__________________
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #64
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbp View Post
Well good question. Im going to our local Discount Tire Store today and have them give me a price on both Tires and Rims. Im also moving up to the 16" wheel. I can share what I find out if you like. I know the ballpark for this and its not cheap but I will sleep better knowing the GYM are no longer on my trailer. I know there are lots of people who like the Goodyear Tire and I hope so because I plan on selling tires /wheels on line soon. they are all but new so I plan on seeing what Discount Tire charges for new ones (wheel & tire ) and I plan on selling for half price. So if you know anyone who wants new tires with less the 500 miles that came off a 2014 Fling Cloud 25..then let me know.. Have a great day...
You probably would sell them quicker if you gave the size and load range for those tires.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member
 
silverbp's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 133
Thanks Andy...will do...
__________________
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #66
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,799
Images: 8
I used CostCo to purchase the five Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires (Michelin part number 05681) and install them on four aluminum and one galvanized steel SenDel rims with the Dill TPMS I acquired from a local Discount Tire. Aluminum wheel T03-66655T and steel wheel S62-66655SG.

I purchased five aluminum wheels and have one in storage as a battle spare.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #67
Rivet Master
 
Arcticfox's Avatar

 
2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,027
Greetings Switz:

If you don't mind me asking - how scary was the price of (4) SenDel Alum-Rims and the Michelin tires. I'm going to price this out tomorrow at Costco (in Canada) and it will be interesting to see how the price changes from country to country.

Thanks

Doug


Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I used CostCo to purchase the five Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires (Michelin part number 05681) and install them on four aluminum and one galvanized steel SenDel rims with the Dill TPMS I acquired from a local Discount Tire. Aluminum wheel T03-66655T and steel wheel S62-66655SG.

I purchased five aluminum wheels and have one in storage as a battle spare.
__________________
Trying to use my camera to create memories - not photographs!
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #68
Rivet Master
 
Arcticfox's Avatar

 
2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,027
As a side note or (stupid question) on the topics of tires and one thing I don't understand....

I understand the thinking behind changing ones factory issued Good Year tires for better quality Michelin tires. But I'm a little lost on the thinking behind changing tire size and going from a 15" to 16".

I'm assuming there is some type of benefit, I'm not sure what it is? I do know that the tire size change certainly makes the purchase cost a lot more with not just the addition of new wheels, but a complete spare as well.

Thanks

Doug
__________________
Trying to use my camera to create memories - not photographs!
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #69
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
As a side note or (stupid question) on the topics of tires and one thing I don't understand....

I understand the thinking behind changing ones factory issued Good Year tires for better quality Michelin tires. But I'm a little lost on the thinking behind changing tire size and going from a 15" to 16".

I'm assuming there is some type of benefit, I'm not sure what it is? I do know that the tire size change certainly makes the purchase cost a lot more with not just the addition of new wheels, but a complete spare as well.

Thanks

Doug
Doug, for us we travel the country widely and wanted the most reliable tire we could get. That led us to the 16" Michelins discussed here.

We spent $1500 on four Michelins/Sendel wheels and sold the factory set for $500 so it cost us $1000. Give or take some pennies. That's not bad for reliability and peace of mind.

With the stellar record of the Michelins I see no reason to buy a new 16" spare. The factory 15" tire will do fine in the very unlikely event we will need it. I have considered leaving that at home to reduce hitch weight/gain payload because we can remove a flat and travel on three tires for a repair in the very unlikely event we will ever need to. Yes, it's in your Airstream Owners Manual.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #70
Rivet Master
 
Arcticfox's Avatar

 
2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,027
Thanks for this info Doug!

I just spoke to my local tire dealer. (Large Canadian Chain) and the manager had never heard of Sendel wheels. He was going to have a look on the net if he could find out anything about them. Does anyone have recommendations for an option if I cannot access the wheels?

TKS
Doug
__________________

__________________
Trying to use my camera to create memories - not photographs!
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goodyear Marathon Tires Ins. Man Tires 48 11-13-2011 07:57 AM
Goodyear Bias Ply Tires StingrayL82 Tires 10 07-29-2010 05:17 AM
Goodyear G670 RV Tires??? TRAPEZE Airstream Motorhome Forums 16 11-27-2006 04:19 PM
Goodyear G670 RV Tires??? TRAPEZE Tires 2 07-08-2002 06:38 PM
Goodyear tires available at Camping World 83Excella Tires 0 05-09-2002 09:29 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.