Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
General outdoor lighting upgrades?

The outside of our '15 28FC comes with a small step light and a large broad-side light. The large side light is powerful but its straight direction makes it better for lighting up the neighbours site or the woods beside rather than as outdoor task/eating lighting. We are considering options for adding extra hardwired and OEM "looking" outdoor lighting. Although we have a powerful inverter and lots of battery capacity we aren't all that interested in pulling out extension cords and stringing temporary lights. The current thoughts are an LED strip across the awning and someone mentioned retrofitting the 'Classic' over the door LED light.

Due to the shape of the AS body the LED strip would have to sit very high and only could be useful when the awning is open. That's not Ideal, but could work some of the time. We don't tend to deploy our awning for aesthetic reasons (like many seem to) but rather only when we actually need to block sun/rain. This light location would force us to open it more often and not have light when it's windy. While looking at options our dealer also thought of installing the LED strip slightly under the belt-line but we aren't completely sold on that spot.

The other option that someone brought-up was retrofitting the over the door light that is standard on Classics and (I believe) Internationals. Does this light location light-up the side of the trailer nicely for meals/entertaining or is it mostly just at the door? Is it bright or more of a "mood" light?

Any other options I'm not thinking of? What do you use? Your input/experience is appreciated.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , Washington
Outside Lighting

We had the "Classic/International" light installed over the door on our 2015 30' bunk. We did it for door lighting. Makes it much easier to find the door lock when it is pitch black out. The LED in the middle of the side seemed pretty useless to us. I can only guess it was for lighting the sitting area under the main awning, but it's positioning and brightness make it virtually worthless for that.
bigmikeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikeeb View Post
We had the "Classic/International" light installed over the door on our 2015 30' bunk. We did it for door lighting. Makes it much easier to find the door lock when it is pitch black out. The LED in the middle of the side seemed pretty useless to us. I can only guess it was for lighting the sitting area under the main awning, but it's positioning and brightness make it virtually worthless for that.

Good to hear I'm not the only one that sees the design flaw. . FWIW, while we did our orientation it was described to us as a "scare light". We tend not to use it unless we are very secluded so we don't bother neighbours.

Perhaps a combination of both would be best. The over the door from the Classic and an LED strip.

Do you mind sharing the approx cost for your light retrofit?
Old 10-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I too hate this "scare light"...our 2014 bunk has the same issue here with outdoor lighting....I hook up a rope light and taper it around the awning, but as the OP pointed out, I too do not prefer to put out the awning unless there is utility for it. Why on earth did airstream put that goofy usless odd directional light there like that?? They have been making trailers for like 1000 years, so you would think they would consider that light design more so...

Anyway, bigmike...what is this "classic light fixture" being discussed? Could you take a photo or someone else take a photo for me?

I love simplicity and ease...and I love my rope lights and will continue to use them, but often I just would like something that I just hit the button and have decent light for being in that area.

My other thought is to add some sorta light modifier, a diffuser, or some sorta addition to that one that changes the directionality of that fixture...but I am not all that handy and the result I suspect would look crappy.

I love the permanent LED strip idea somewhere as well...but where to place it.

You can buy outdoor LED strip lighting for very very cheap...my contractor at my house put a similar indoor style one in our kitchen renovation last year under all the cabinets and it lights all the counters so nice.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
PharmGeek, the small light above the door is what is being discussed (you can only really see the small hood)....

Also, see here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1506052

Another member ran the LED strip and it looks nice. My only thought was to bring it one step further and have it hardwired instead of having to deal with the hanging transformer etc. The kit I would use is made by Dometic and the colour/intensity/"show" can be changed via RF remote. I like toys
Old 10-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I'm thinking of making or modifying something aluminum to form a brow over the "scare" light to direct the lighting downward and making it more pleasant and useful as you describe. Maybe half of a stainless steel bowl the right size.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
The small light outside and above the door is nice. It brightens up the entry and prevents us from stepping on any critters that might be passing through.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I changed out the lens on the scare light for a blue one. That's our "party light"- when on, it's OK to drop in, we're being sociable. When it goes out, don't be knockin'! Even if the Airstream is rockin'!

For area light, we tie a battery LED camp light to the awning strap...
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
The "scare Light" on our '98 Excella is especially useless as it is on the street side....who thought that up....
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
there is a 1/2" gap in the metal channel when I close my steps. I put a waterproof LED strip there, and ran the wires up into a closet where I put a switch. I had planned to have have it light sensitive and come on at night, but the light switch I ordered was huge. Anyway, when the light is on, it illuminates the step and the area around and beneath it.

I also ran a strip the full length of the trailer underneath. It's remote controlled and does colors. So, it's kind of fun, but it also can be dimmed so I get a soft glow under the trailer, and I can brighten it if needed to see if something's under there, or if I have to check something at night.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Pic of my step

Looks better in real life
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tests.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	530.8 KB
ID:	225300  
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemere , Quebec
I used a plastic pot hang on the fan vent, and style bother the neighbour I had to put blue tape on it. I'm trying to figure a kind of deflector fix on fan cover's screw. but not done yet.
WBCCI 20130
TAC QC-2
Pitou49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I too hate this "scare light"...our 2014 bunk has the same issue here with outdoor lighting....I hook up a rope light and taper it around the awning, but as the OP pointed out, I too do not prefer to put out the awning unless there is utility for it. Why on earth did airstream put that goofy usless odd directional light there like that?? They have been making trailers for like 1000 years, so you would think they would consider that light design more so...

Anyway, bigmike...what is this "classic light fixture" being discussed? Could you take a photo or someone else take a photo for me?

I love simplicity and ease...and I love my rope lights and will continue to use them, but often I just would like something that I just hit the button and have decent light for being in that area.

My other thought is to add some sorta light modifier, a diffuser, or some sorta addition to that one that changes the directionality of that fixture...but I am not all that handy and the result I suspect would look crappy.

I love the permanent LED strip idea somewhere as well...but where to place it.

You can buy outdoor LED strip lighting for very very cheap...my contractor at my house put a similar indoor style one in our kitchen renovation last year under all the cabinets and it lights all the counters so nice.
The light I am referring to is the standard, over the door light, found on the Classic and International models. If I recall, it cost in the neighborhood of $600 to have it installed, and they did a very good job. Especially since it wasn't wired for that placement.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
Good to hear I'm not the only one that sees the design flaw. . FWIW, while we did our orientation it was described to us as a "scare light". We tend not to use it unless we are very secluded so we don't bother neighbours.

Perhaps a combination of both would be best. The over the door from the Classic and an LED strip.

Do you mind sharing the approx cost for your light retrofit?
Seems like it was in the $600 range installed.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
maple grove , Minnesota
What about a dimmer switch for the scare light
thebreezeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:06 PM   #16
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
My bride loves the 'lighting' of the AS... once the awning is out... here comes a box of 'camp' lights.. LED's... we plug directly into the external 120v outlet and run over to the steps then to the ZipDee arm, up to the Airstream drip strip on the length of the awning... and down the other ZipDee arm..

To hold in place, I bought a box of "plastic clamps". They are colorful...and various sizes. I use the LARGE ones on the Awning arms... and the small along the awning fabric... and also small on the steps. This gives quite ample, indirect light on the underside, around the step. Then LARGE ones lights the 'head banging' ZipDee awning arms..

The nice part is that they remain on the light wires.. just squeeze to remove.. no rust or damage to the AS or ZipDee.. and coil them up in the storage box...

To go the route of 'permanently' mounting on the exterior of the AS... well, it is YOURs to do with as you please. Just remember, nothing lasts forever.... especially when exposed to the elements...

If you do route externally, you could run the FUSED wires out of the battery box vent holes using an SAE connector... which you can pull back inside the battery box hen traveling... make sure you FUSE it. You can then 'hide' the 'control' box inside the Battery box as well... and discretely run the FUSED wires out to the desired location.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote