Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #43
Silver Spud
 
shadrick5's Avatar
 
1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Third, the recommendation from Ontario fire fighters is out of date because fridges don't seem to come with a 12 v. option any more. Three-way fridges were available a dozen years ago however.
Gene

Actually Norcold continues to manufacture three-way refrigerators. I have a 2013 841.3 in my Airstream, however, I only use the 12v in an emergency and it will kill the batteries very quickly. I do run propane while moving and as another poster mentioned the new tank valves eliminate nearly all risk of propane running wild in an accident or ruptured line.
__________________

__________________
shadrick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #44
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,239
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Fourth, the fridge is located on the side opposite most tow vehicle gas fillers.
Gene

Hi, my gas filler/s and refrigerator are both on the driver's side. I always run my refrigerator while towing and once in freezing weather I ran my furnace too.
__________________

__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #45
Rivet Master
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,169
Blog Entries: 1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler7003 View Post
If your worried about propane just remember it burns cooler then diesel and most trucks have plastic tanks. We pull with fridge on and never worry. If there is a fire the whole unit will be a loss and not just the trailer. Gas also burns with more explosive power then propane. The propane is not a risk compared to other drivers on the road
I disagree that most trucks have plastic gas tanks. All semi tractors that I no of have aluminum tanks and my son and I have owned or leased many and all dif. makes plus driven other co. trucks. Tanks are at low level with side impact would be very bad for all involved, and all pick ups I no of use steel tanks. Plastic or fiberglass are to dangerous. My father had aux. plastic under bed of pick up in 1978 in accident blew up killing my father and brother. Before tanks used to be under bed of pu, then behind seats, now back under bed of pu. I can not think of any auto or truck manf. using plastic as to liability factor.
__________________
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #46
Rivet Slave
 
Rocinante's Avatar

 
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,660
Blog Entries: 49
Once we have lithium batteries, lots of solar panels and a Vitrifrigo (danfoss compressor) fridge, we'll never travel with the propane on.

Until then, if we need to keep food cold while in transit we supply the Demonic fridge with propane - which we'd turn off when absolutely required (such as while on a ferry or going thru a tunnel).

We acknowledge it's safer, fire-wise to shut off the propane while traveling. We're simply balancing the possibility of an accident against the possibility of food-borne illness and making a choice. You can weigh the same question and make your own decision. We won't offer second guesses or "I told you so's," because given the technology installed in our RVs today there's no perfect choice. That, of course, is the reason for your question.
__________________
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")


Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #47
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Hey Gene, good to see you back in the forums. Maybe we've just been in separate areas but I was wondering where you've been. This isn't a gas station and it's a fairly big spill by the looks of it but the blast from the vapor is quite impressive. If you see someone doing this nearby, turn off your fridge!
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member
 
Goliad , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 54
New valves will not allow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dquarasr View Post
I can see both sides of the debate, although I am definitely interested in having the lines open for convenience of having a cold fridge at destination.

Understood that it was designed to run while the trailer is in motion. But what about, heaven forbid, if in an accident? It is entirely conceivable that the propane tanks can get separated from the trailer, rupturing the lines, and at that point, the tanks are open to the air. Of course, even with the tanks closed, in an accident the tanks could rupture, so having them off in an accident guarantees nothing.

I'm still on the fence. I am leaning toward the convenience vs. the chance of a severe accident causing a leak.
New valves on tanks will not allow hi flow rate to happen. When it detects hi flow, a ball check is applied to stop the flow. Not sure what year this started but I have some bottles from '05 that have the ball check on them.
__________________
The Frommes
Goliad, Texas
The Birth Place of S. Texas Ranching
WBCCI #6256
eartick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member
 
WayneG's Avatar
 
1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 207
Sometimes I fill with the Fridge running, sometimes not, but when I fill the MH propane tank, I make sure everything is off. A lot of vapor under the chassis when filling.
On to a gasoline story, in my younger daZe, I worked at a gas station, and one of my duties was to stick the tanks (check the levels).
One day I was out doing that smoking a butt and sticking the tanks when someone asked me a question, with butt in mouth, I answered, and the butt left my lips and went strait down into the tank.
All I heard was a hisss, no boom, no flames.
I did not know it then, but I learned years later when I joined a hazmat team, the temperature of a lit cigarette is not normally high enough to ignite gas. Also gas will not ignite unless it has the perfect air fuel ratio between Lower Explosive Limit and the Upper Explosive Limit.

Quote:
Air fuel ignition....... Auto Ignition temperature
Fuel...... LEL UEL.... Deg F
Gasoline 1.2 7.1...... 475-536
Propane 2.1 9.5....... 878
Ethanol 3.3 19.0...... 689
__________________
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #50
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,281
I thought the reason that water heaters were placed on a platform when installed in a garage was to get them high enough that the flame is higher than gasoline fumes will rise if a car fuel system leaks.

Would seem the travel trailer refrigerator propane ignition source would be high enough to achieve the same safety practice. And Propane always sinks as it is heavier than air. Seems the hazard is a questionable one.

Am I experiencing brain fatigue, or is this all much noise about a non-issue?

Pat
__________________
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:44 PM   #51
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,381
Gas on or off when moving ?

The home hot water heaters are on a platform because the plumbing and building codes typically call for it.

A gas clothes dryer in the exact same garage does NOT have to be on a platform. Go figure...

IMHO it's a non-issue unless you have a tendency to drench the fridge side of the trailer in gasoline because you can't operate the fuel nozzle correctly. Like my dear Uncle Chris---a degrees chemical engineer--did once. To a car full of passengers. Sigh.


Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
__________________
KE4GNK/AE
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #52
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The home hot water heaters are on a platform because the plumbing and building codes typically call for it. -- snip --
Possibly true. Does gasoline vapor, rise to a level where the ignition point of an AS refrigerator is a hazard?

Pat
__________________
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:26 AM   #53
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,381
Gas on or off when moving ?

Honest answer: no clue here. I'm not an expert in that realm. In my experience, it's detectable at least where my nose is located, and I'm officially 5 foot 12 inches tall according to my draft board. YMMV

I do however, tow with my propane turned on for the fridge. I just make sure the street side fridge vent is well clear while I am fueling the tow vehicle.


Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
__________________
KE4GNK/AE
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:55 AM   #54
Silver Spud
 
shadrick5's Avatar
 
1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Once we have lithium batteries, lots of solar panels and a Vitrifrigo (danfoss compressor) fridge, we'll never travel with the propane on.

Until then, if we need to keep food cold while in transit we supply the Demonic fridge with propane - which we'd turn off when absolutely required (such as while on a ferry or going thru a tunnel).

We acknowledge it's safer, fire-wise to shut off the propane while traveling. We're simply balancing the possibility of an accident against the possibility of food-borne illness and making a choice. You can weigh the same question and make your own decision. We won't offer second guesses or "I told you so's," because given the technology installed in our RVs today there's no perfect choice. That, of course, is the reason for your question.
What a great response. Thank you for that and no worries to all opinions.
__________________
shadrick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #55
Rivet Master
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,169
Blog Entries: 1
When at home ref. is running on electric, when leaving just unplug trailer and if going 3 hrs. or less to campsite w/electric hookups do nothing to ref. if none swt. to propane then don't worry about any thing happening because running on gas. IMO some people worry about to many things, or what if.
__________________
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #56
New Member
 
Port Carling , Ontario
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I disagree that most trucks have plastic gas tanks. All semi tractors that I no of have aluminum tanks and my son and I have owned or leased many and all dif. makes plus driven other co. trucks. Tanks are at low level with side impact would be very bad for all involved, and all pick ups I no of use steel tanks. Plastic or fiberglass are to dangerous. My father had aux. plastic under bed of pick up in 1978 in accident blew up killing my father and brother. Before tanks used to be under bed of pu, then behind seats, now back under bed of pu. I can not think of any auto or truck manf. using plastic as to liability factor.
sorry yes to be clear most commercial trucks use saddle alluminum tanks. however ford and dodge both have been using plastic tanks mounted inside frame rail as the plastic is actually longer life span and there is no issues. our propane lines are almost always iron were under trailer and the risk of fire while towing is no issue or there would be warning all over the trailers
__________________

__________________
chandler7003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gas on, gas off? heavyjumbo LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 28 07-23-2011 07:59 AM
Need pictures of gas line for Magic Chief oven gas connection dghaas General Repair Forum 1 01-30-2009 09:04 PM
Gas or No Gas, that's the question... oldtrucksrul LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 14 11-16-2008 10:29 AM
Locking Gas Cap for 2003 AS Gas Motorhome spat61 Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes 11 10-27-2008 11:37 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.