Old 09-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Safety is a two way street. Spoiled food can also harm people, not just fires/explosions. It then comes down to the relative frequency of these events. Is it more common to die from a LP explosion heading down the road than it is from sepsis due to bacterial infection? My impression is that the latter is probably more common. Perhaps this is an argument to keep the fridge running while towing? YMMV.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:05 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First of all, propane does not explode. It does catch fire when released if there is a spark or a flame where the propane is.

Second, the fridge is designed to run while moving. The companies that make the fridges would have big stickers on the front of the fridge saying "Do not run while in motion" if there was danger because their lawyers would insist on it.

Third, the recommendation from Ontario fire fighters is out of date because fridges don't seem to come with a 12 v. option any more. Three-way fridges were available a dozen years ago however.

Fourth, the fridge is located on the side opposite most tow vehicle gas fillers. Anyway, why does the presence of gasoline mean the propane will catch fire? Gasoline usually does not catch fire at a fuel pump and why would that ignite the fridge or the tanks?

Fifth, how many RV propane tanks have you heard of catching fire on the road or at a gas station?

If you want to reduce risk, tow with a bicycle.

Gene

Old 09-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
There was barn fire by me w/large propane tank that had old style valves. Lines melted gas escape made nice blow torch flame.water was not sprayed on tank just left alone did not take off like rocket just sat there and gas burned. This tank was full so burned for a while.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
IMHO the risk of a fire at a gas station is greater when you are handling the nozzle and create a spark when you touch the nozzle to the vehicle. There are plenty of warning signs about static electricity around gasoline fuel pumps. That is one of the reasons you are supposed to sit portable gas cans on the ground when filling.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post

Fourth, the fridge is located on the side opposite most tow vehicle gas fillers. Anyway, why does the presence of gasoline mean the propane will catch fire? Gasoline usually does not catch fire at a fuel pump and why would that ignite the fridge or the tanks?

Gene

I tow with gas and fridge on and fill at truck or AG diesel islands so it's no factor for me. However, the factor at gas islands is someone being careless and dumping gasoline on the ground by mistake. At that point there is vapor as the gasoline evaporates and if it's a hot windless day the fumes could be dense enough to ignite if your fridge or hot water heater happens to commence ignition while the coach is in the vapor cloud. If I stop at a regular gas station I reach in the coach door and kill power mains until departure which eliminates the chance of ignition. -Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I have pulled with one tank open and fridge on for the last 15 years. Rode in motorhomes with much larger tanks that were never shut off my entire childhood.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Roseville , California
I've had it on Propane most times, but one time, when i got to my destination, the fridge had shut off anyway, not sure why. Maybe too much bouncing around or not level?

So now i leave it off and bring an ice chest for the food till i get to the campground. Have done only short trips so far. When we go on longer trips, maybe i'll try with the propane on again.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Stop by with a six pack of IPA micro brewery beer and we can talk about it.

If you want the long discussion... bring two six packs. I will be asleep after the third beer. End of my discussion.

More people die from food poisoning than exploding refrigerators.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #37

Port Carling , Ontario
If your worried about propane just remember it burns cooler then diesel and most trucks have plastic tanks. We pull with fridge on and never worry. If there is a fire the whole unit will be a loss and not just the trailer. Gas also burns with more explosive power then propane. The propane is not a risk compared to other drivers on the road
Old 09-02-2016, 08:28 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Gasoline is highly volatile. That's what makes it a very good fuel. When there's a spill anywhere, it quickly goes from liquid to gas and dissipates quickly into the air. The concentration in the air is minor and it disappears so quickly that a spark would have to happen very close to the spill. Even then, I doubt much would happen.

You are more likely to get a spark from touching your vehicle when the humidity is very low, but it is pretty rare for gas vapor to ignite. The ignition often seems to happen where the pump nozzle touches the tank filler pipe, metal on metal where gasoline is present. Some of those parts are protected by plastic now.

The few times something happens are spectacular and remain imbedded in our minds. In a country of 330,000,000 (and add in billions more in the world) someone, someplace is going to have a fire. If propane fires caused at gas pumps were an issue, where are the stories and photos? How many people have suffered food poisoning from spoiled food in the fridge because the propane was off?

Nonetheless, and despite the many millions of miles of accident free towing, some places require propane tanks be turned off—ferries, some tunnels and bridges, some Canadian provinces (Manitoba and one of the Maritimes I believe).

Gene
Old 09-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Towing Abel trailers since 1971, propane is on running the fridge and maybe the hot water, if below freezing, I might even run the furnace,.. Never had a problem...
Old 09-02-2016, 10:18 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Hey Gene, good to see you back in the forums. Maybe we've just been in separate areas but I was wondering where you've been. This isn't a gas station and it's a fairly big spill by the looks of it but the blast from the vapor is quite impressive. If you see someone doing this nearby, turn off your fridge!
Old 09-02-2016, 11:48 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Gas on or off when moving ?

Last words of the Southern Bubba, "Hey, y'all, watch this!"

Sad but true.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:21 AM   #42
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Venice , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Propane is on running the fridge... have to keep my wife's wine and my beer chilled.

We drag Mitzi a 2016 International Serenity 30, with an Equal-i-zer 1000 yanked around with a 2015 GMC Yukon XL SLT 4x4, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.92 axle, 6-speed auto WBCCI #6111 AIR #107335

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote