Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 19' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Gas Leak

During our recent trip our #1 gas bottle went dry. I had the fridge on gas mode while driving. When we stopped and I opened the trailer door, the gas alarm was signaling and the cabin filled with gas. My question: why isn't there an auto gas shutoff that trips a valve when the gas pressure runs too low to power the fridge? In this case, the gas appeared to just continue to pour into the cabin..this seems to be a very dangerous problem....

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
estegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Did someone leave the burner valves on the stove on while the fridge continued to run?
Or where did the gas get into the cabin from?

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The refrigerator gas will shut off automatically if there is no flame. If it didn't something is wrong. Not really enough information to tell any more. Your 2012 should still be in factory warrantee, have your dealer look at it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2012 19' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
I believe the burners were all off, my initial thought was it was gas from the fridge..
estegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Someone help me understand where there is a possibility for propane in the trailer from the reefer; the gas piping and burner are outside the envelope. I thought the ammonia cycle was the only internal gas for the reefer.
Now the piping for the stove/oven has to penetrate the trailer and could be a source of leakage.
As for the OP question, I cannot conceive of a reliable way to have the main gas supply shutoff for a small leak, unless it were an expensive link to the propane detector. Then there would be a potential failure mode of gas shutdown with no leak, not my choice. I guess the safe choice is to never have the gas on when you are not using it and the trailer is not occupied.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
As said above, the fridge's propane supply should close down if there is no flame. If not working properly, this could pose a danger to the interior of the trailer. Have it checked!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I recently replaced the "safety valve" on my refer. It would NOT shut the gas off, if the burner goes off.
This valve should be regularly checked to make sure it functions properly.
The burner is in the rear of the refer. Which is inside the cabin. If the back of the refer is not sealed, and none of them are sealed air or gas tight. Gas may enter the cabin if there is a failure in the safety system,
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Thanks
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
On my '98, I doubt much gas could get from the back of the fridge into the living area. The front of the fridge has trim that fits very tight over the wood cabinet frame. And the back of the fridge frame is sealed to the surrounding wood frame with foam weatherstrip along the verticals. With natural convection moving air from the exterior vent up to the roof top vent, I can't imagine much air/gas getting into the living area. Now that I think about it, on a cold and windy winter night, I once went looking for cold drafts to plug, moving around the coach with a lite candle. I didn't find any around the fridge (good thing I didn't have a gas leak at the time!).
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote