Old 11-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Cardiff , California
We had exact same dilemma

we chose RB - (23D' International) - after spending a lot of time surveying both.

Actually Claire wanted the FB and I wanted the RB (willing to give up bed size for layout.) By that i mean, i knew (and was proven right) that we would prefer a more dedicated lounge/dinette area in the front (in our trailer when you walk in, you have couch / lounge / dinette on right - and then walk to back bed / bath.

So the question for us (and for you) is where do you see yourselves spending a) MORE time and b) how is that time spent 'quality-wise'

For us, our answer was more time in the lounge /dinette area and since that was when we were awake and enjoying the inside space, that was the area we wanted to have more access/larger area, better design. We traded that for a slightly smaller sleeping area (w/ rounded corner) and bathroom next to bed. So far so good and no complaints. If you're the bedroom types - watching / reading tv in bed and generally spending more time in the bedroom, then i suppose you'd go FB.

That's what it came down to for us - where is your time going to be spent and enjoyed.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Dinettes seem to be popular these days. When we were looking at new Airstreams on the lot, every one of them had a dinette.

As I recall, not one of my dad's Airstreams, nor ours, back in the '60s and '70s had a dinette.

All 3 of my MH in the '80s, '90s, and early 2000s had them and it seemed like such a waste of space because we hardly ever sat at a table inside.

We searched long and hard to find an Airstream floorplan that did not include a dinette. (We do have swing up tables if we do find a need to sit at a table inside.)

I see no reason why one could not install a couch with power recliners where our FC is now. However, we would rather sit outside under the awning and by the campfire. About the only time we use the couch would be to watch the morning news and weather on our tiny television.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Wife and I are under 35 and we find the dinette including the couch everyone hates to be comfortable. Just like tastes, everyone's feeling of comfort is also different.

If I'm truthful, all those photos of amazing views out the back sold us on the layout. We don't mind sleeping with our head near our truck. I also have a hard time understanding the privacy in the back. It must be the campgrounds one visits.

We're in Ocala right now tonight, and all the fire pits and activity is behind each back in site. So our bedroom on the road is where it's actually quite. And the truck is still between us and the road. (30ft sites).

eheffa's point seems to make sense, from my own personal observations of those we know and they places they visit and our own limited experience.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
We've had both a front and rear. Pick the layout you like best. Bed location shouldn't matter. We sleep with the fan on so outside sounds are never an issue.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hostage46 View Post
So the decision has been made, well, almost. Wife and I popped into the dealer in Fort Worth, Vogt, nice folks, let us poke around the trailers on our own, a very productive hour or so it was!

We've decided on a FC 25' twin. I was originally thinking FB based on the logic of an aft lounge with better views (for lack of a better reason, sounded good). Then I came across a video showing that different between FB and RB and I learned, do I have the right, Rear bed units have a slightly bigger bath and different stove configuration?

Is this true?

And since I'm about to pull the trigger, how about some general thoughts on front vs back bedrooms?

Dan in Dallas

I had front twin beds, I recently installed a regular queen size. I sleep much better now. I also cut my dining table in half, took out the built in seat by the door and installed a recliner. I am single, it works for me, and I notice people stop by and talk now, they always seem to sit in the recliner though.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
I like Kristy's reasons for RB.

VIDEO: Front vs. Rear Bedroom! on Vimeo

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When comparing the two side by side, we found many practical reasons to favor the RB model, and only the occasional dramatic view out the back from the dinette to favor the FB, and that would work better if our eyes were in the back of our head. Or spend a heck of a lot of time sitting upright at the dinette.

So both models have their own merit(s), and most will defend their choice until they get something else, then they will love the new choice. It's like that with everything Airstream, new, old, tires, trucks, hitches, beds, grills, ovens, batteries . . .

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:48 AM   #22
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Here's another way to look at it: There is no bad choice. FB or RB, it's still an Airstream. You win!
Old 11-27-2014, 02:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Having had a 27FB International and now a 30 RB, I can make these observations. The RB with only one panoramic window has almost double the closet storage space. In addition, the "nightstands" allow loose objects to be left out in transit and there are USB ports to charge your goodies during the night in the RB. The bathroom is larger, the galley larger, refrigerator larger, and the 30 has more fresh water on board.

In truck stops, when backed in, the rear bed is father from the big diesels running all night. The door is closer to the TV, thus quicker to get to.

Now, there is certainly a beauty of the front bed with the pano windows in the rear, but one really needs to have those tinted, at least in the older front beds.

Oh well...

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Los Angeles , California
I made the same change with my 25' front bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Not power and only with one because in my 27FB, the street side dinette seating covers a lot of mechanicals that would be too much to reassign. But here's a shot of the conversion (done at Jackson Center - including cutting down the table since we didn't need the extra drop down bed there).

We love it - but honestly - I don't think you can go wrong with any configuration. Enjoy the heck out of whatever you buy :-)

Attachment 227400
It works out well for me too.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master

It's a no brainer for me, because…..

I am a fan of the rear bath set up. I like the privacy of not taking care of business, a foot away from people sleeping or eating. I usually camp with the rear of the trailer parked up against trees and bushes, or on the perimeter of a camping plot.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #26
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
So both models have their own merit(s), and most will defend their choice until they get something else, then they will love the new choice. It's like that with everything Airstream, new, old, tires, trucks, hitches, beds, grills, ovens, batteries . . .
I kind of feel it's like asking what is better; "an Auto or Manual in your sports car?" Around and around the conversation can go. Where it will stop nobody knows.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's fun to discuss this stuff with a bit of argument for our own choice. And sometimes we even learn something, which is why we are really wasting our time here.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #28

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The value of discussions like this is that it gives the OP some insight into the pros and cons of the various Airstream models and configurations. It is of particular value to the OP as the opinions are from real world users and not some salesman trying to sell him something.

The information contained in this thread is not available from any brochure or on-line research.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote