Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
HIGHLAND VILLAGE , Texas
Front or Rear bed? I bet this has been asked a million times....

So the decision has been made, well, almost. Wife and I popped into the dealer in Fort Worth, Vogt, nice folks, let us poke around the trailers on our own, a very productive hour or so it was!

We've decided on a FC 25' twin. I was originally thinking FB based on the logic of an aft lounge with better views (for lack of a better reason, sounded good). Then I came across a video showing that different between FB and RB and I learned, do I have the right, Rear bed units have a slightly bigger bath and different stove configuration?

Is this true?

And since I'm about to pull the trigger, how about some general thoughts on front vs back bedrooms?

Dan in Dallas
hostage46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
In my opinion, it comes down to which Lounge you would prefer the extra space and window. In the bathroom, or next to the dinette.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Asking this question is like asking Coke or Pepsi. People will have strong feelings on why you should choose one over the other. We chose the front because we did not like the window in the bathroom. Also liked the big panoramic windows in the back.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Given you'll be purchasing and enjoying the trailer, your opinion is the only one that really matters.

We selected a 27 FB because we liked the queen bed in front and the dinette /lounge in back. We've had some fabulous views out the back via the dinette. Thus far, we've not had any issues with noise due to the bedroom in front. We're very happy with our 27FB, though I will admit the WC is smaller in our trailer than it is in the 28 RB.

We have noticed one interesting challenge, when the awning is open and it is raining. In this scenario, we have to tip the awning toward the front of the trailer because the door is in back. (If we tip the awning toward the rear, it is too low to allow the door to open.) Then, anybody coming to visit may get a free shower if the awning dumps its contents toward the front of the trailer just when they duck around and then under it to come to the door.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not all views out the back are of scenery with a nice glass of wine, sometimes they are of brush, a fence, or a fifth wheel trailer parked behind you looking down into your living room. We've never had a bad view in front with the RB model.

Our bed is in the back where it's quiet, and our living room is on front where the camp activity is. We also have the large bath with window, convection/microwave at eye level, privacy of the sunshade rock guard in front or our living room, and the furnace is behind the sink cabinet so we could take out the factory uncomfortable dinette seats and replace them with recliners, console and fold up table before our backs were broken (as in Avatar).

They have only made this FC Rear Bed model since 2012 so we lose this usually vigorous contest on votes every time. Good idea to consider each arrangement on their practical merits.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Having a 25fb I find the rear entry sometimes a disadvantage in shorter campsites as you sometimes can't back the trailer too far back over the rear of the campsite because you need to make sure there is enough room for entry and exit from the rear door. With a front door you can back further into the campsite and still have the entry door at a good position.

I'm not a big fan of the dinette side couch arrangement anymore after owning mine for a couple of years so loosing a little on the side couch in favor of larger bathroom would be a good exchange. I hardly ever use the all the couch. I do sometimes pull it out an sleep on it but the shorter couch you feet would be on the adjacent dinette and even on the FB a tall persons feet would still extend to the dinette cushion. You really don't need to pull the tray out because the side couch is wide enough for single sleeping.

The 25fb bathroom is tight. I'm only 5'10" and average frame and my knee hits the door when it is closed and sitting on the toilet. The toilet is angled slightly towards the door

I'm lucky my 25fb has a hanging microwave in the kitchen. Newer FBs don't have a microwave and if they do they are mounted under the stove in lieu of a gas oven. The RB has a microwave/convection oven over the fridge and some complain of the exhaust fan noise but you can replace it with a quieter fan and add baffles in the upper fridge compartment to direct rising warm air to the upper vent.

Sometimes the view out of my rear dinette is nice but sometimes it isn't and the front is nicer.

The front bed is not really a walk around bed and the night stand is in a awkward position in the far corner. I think I'd prefer the twin set up now with the night stand between however you do loose the two drawers and lower cabinet in the bedroom closet in the twin arrangement and we use those a lot. But you've got storage under each bed to put bins of folded cloths. The cabinets over the back of the twin bedroom are more easily accessed. The ones in the FB you have to crawl onto the bed to get to the curb side.

If I were to choose now a 25ft model I'd go with the RB twin but we were buying preowned and the 25fb we got was only available at the time.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:54 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Gatos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Not all views out the back are of scenery with a nice glass of wine, sometimes they are of brush, a fence, or a fifth wheel trailer parked behind you looking down into your living room. We've never had a bad view in front with the RB model.

Our bed is in the back where it's quiet, and our living room is on front where the camp activity is. We also have the large bath with window, convection/microwave at eye level, privacy of the sunshade rock guard in front or our living room, and the furnace is behind the sink cabinet so we could take out the factory uncomfortable dinette seats and replace them with recliners, console and fold up table before our backs were broken (as in Avatar).

They have only made this FC Rear Bed model since 2012 so we lose this usually vigorous contest on votes every time. Good idea to consider each arrangement on their practical merits.
DK

That is a killer setup with the recliners!!

Wow I'm jealous
someday, maybe we can pull something like this together

Also very persuasive argument for rb twin.
Got me leaning that way

Thanks

Happy Holiday All !
Estoniankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:47 AM   #8
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
We have been very pleased with our rb twin. In addition to what has been said, it may very well have the most usable exterior storage than any other model airstream.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:39 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We had a 2005 25FB for eight years. During that period, we spent almost 1,400 nights in this 25FB all over the country. it has been our experience that a better view is more often toward the rear of the trailer. This is not always the case, but more often.

When we recently were in the process of buying a 2015 25 footer. We seriously explored both the FB and RB. We did a lot of on-line research and looked at both models in person.

Of course, we were intimately familiar with the 25FB. our 2005 was a queen bed model. This was the only version available in 2005. We decided that our new Lucy would be a twin as it has far superior outside storage. This always a sore point with Old Lucy.

Then it was time to consider the RB vs. the FB. The RB is a recent configuration. When we shopped for Old Lucy in 2005, the only other 25 foot configuration was a corner bed.

We make a lot of one night stops where we stay hooked-up. On those occasions, our dinette view with a 25RB would be the LP tanks and the back of our tow vehicle. We also considered the fact, in an RB, the dinette area panoramic widows are covered with tinted plastic protector. This impacts the view clarity unless you get out of the trailer and raise the center section.

On the plus side, the RB has a microwave above the refrigerator. The FB has no dedicated spot for a microwave other than if you forgo the gas oven and get the microwave/convection oven option.

We also considered the front door vs. rear door issue. The RB's front entrance door is more compatible with most campsite layouts. The RB has a window in the bathroom and the shower configuration is slightly different.

Another FB plus is that it has two large windows over the couch. these provide a better view and better light in the living area.

After due consideration, we decided to go with an FB, and took delivery of New Lucy on October 2nd.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We've spent about 100 nights so far in our new 27 FB Eddie Bauer. We like the interior layout very much and don't have any issues with the size of the bathroom area. A little more space would always be welcome but what we have works fine for us. While not every campsite has a perfect view out the back, it's been our experience that at least 75% of the time, the view out the back is the better of the two. We tend not to go to the type of commercial campground where the view out the back is of the other guy's rig so that practice may affect this ratio. We've had views of oceans, streams, lakes, and woods out most of our campsites. I have noticed that many campsites are optimized for entry doors towards the front of the unit and when we get one of those campsites, it would be nice to have a front door unit. But overall, we are pleased with our decision. But, if we had a rear bed unit, I'm sure that we'd be just as pleased so my thinking on this topic is not to sweat the small stuff! This is not a decision with a lot of downside risk!
Old 11-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Having a 27FB of course I'm going to say its the best, wouldn't want to admit I spent $$$$ on the wrong trailer. More likely I've just evolved to accept its advantages without thought and not bother thinking much about the downsides.

I echo the plus of the rear dinette. 95% of our campsites are back ins with the truck crammed up front. Almost never camp in cramped private RV parks so views out the back almost always nicer than of the truck in front.

Coming from a pop-up the WC seems positively huge, but then again I don't spend much time there.

One downside of the FB is limited ability to hang the trailer off the rear of a short paved parking pad without the door ending up over dirt.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
HIGHLAND VILLAGE , Texas
Folks, thanks for the feedback, this is just the detail I was looking for, "I like Coke for this reason"

I must day, I'm not a fan of the dinette. has anyone ever replaced dinette with the Sofa w/power recliners>
hostage46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by hostage46 View Post
Folks, thanks for the feedback, this is just the detail I was looking for, "I like Coke for this reason"

I must day, I'm not a fan of the dinette. has anyone ever replaced dinette with the Sofa w/power recliners>
Not power and only with one because in my 27FB, the street side dinette seating covers a lot of mechanicals that would be too much to reassign. But here's a shot of the conversion (done at Jackson Center - including cutting down the table since we didn't need the extra drop down bed there).

We love it - but honestly - I don't think you can go wrong with any configuration. Enjoy the heck out of whatever you buy :-)

Name:   image-1150047639.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  46.7 KB
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
If you camp in undeveloped or rural campgrounds with lake-side, ocean side, mountain views etc, the view will be far more often to the back of the campsite & a FB version will allow you to sit and enjoy that from your living dining area.

If you camp in more developed urban campgrounds where the view to the back is another RV or a fence & you want to be closer to the action in the inner circle roadway the Rear Bed makes more sense.

We tend to seek out the former & so are very happy with the FB arrangement and how it puts us closer to the beauty we were looking to find with our rig... I would not trade for a RB model.

Here's a typical Campsite on the Beach where the FB shines.
(Haida Gwaii, BC - Agate Beach.)

The view from inside:

In campsites like this, you could not have this side to the view...

Night view:

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Cardiff , California
We had exact same dilemma

we chose RB - (23D' International) - after spending a lot of time surveying both.

Actually Claire wanted the FB and I wanted the RB (willing to give up bed size for layout.) By that i mean, i knew (and was proven right) that we would prefer a more dedicated lounge/dinette area in the front (in our trailer when you walk in, you have couch / lounge / dinette on right - and then walk to back bed / bath.

So the question for us (and for you) is where do you see yourselves spending a) MORE time and b) how is that time spent 'quality-wise'

For us, our answer was more time in the lounge /dinette area and since that was when we were awake and enjoying the inside space, that was the area we wanted to have more access/larger area, better design. We traded that for a slightly smaller sleeping area (w/ rounded corner) and bathroom next to bed. So far so good and no complaints. If you're the bedroom types - watching / reading tv in bed and generally spending more time in the bedroom, then i suppose you'd go FB.

That's what it came down to for us - where is your time going to be spent and enjoyed.
ryandanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Dinettes seem to be popular these days. When we were looking at new Airstreams on the lot, every one of them had a dinette.

As I recall, not one of my dad's Airstreams, nor ours, back in the '60s and '70s had a dinette.

All 3 of my MH in the '80s, '90s, and early 2000s had them and it seemed like such a waste of space because we hardly ever sat at a table inside.

We searched long and hard to find an Airstream floorplan that did not include a dinette. (We do have swing up tables if we do find a need to sit at a table inside.)

I see no reason why one could not install a couch with power recliners where our FC is now. However, we would rather sit outside under the awning and by the campfire. About the only time we use the couch would be to watch the morning news and weather on our tiny television.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Wife and I are under 35 and we find the dinette including the couch everyone hates to be comfortable. Just like tastes, everyone's feeling of comfort is also different.

If I'm truthful, all those photos of amazing views out the back sold us on the layout. We don't mind sleeping with our head near our truck. I also have a hard time understanding the privacy in the back. It must be the campgrounds one visits.

We're in Ocala right now tonight, and all the fire pits and activity is behind each back in site. So our bedroom on the road is where it's actually quite. And the truck is still between us and the road. (30ft sites).

eheffa's point seems to make sense, from my own personal observations of those we know and they places they visit and our own limited experience.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
We've had both a front and rear. Pick the layout you like best. Bed location shouldn't matter. We sleep with the fan on so outside sounds are never an issue.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Palm Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hostage46 View Post
So the decision has been made, well, almost. Wife and I popped into the dealer in Fort Worth, Vogt, nice folks, let us poke around the trailers on our own, a very productive hour or so it was!

We've decided on a FC 25' twin. I was originally thinking FB based on the logic of an aft lounge with better views (for lack of a better reason, sounded good). Then I came across a video showing that different between FB and RB and I learned, do I have the right, Rear bed units have a slightly bigger bath and different stove configuration?

Is this true?

And since I'm about to pull the trigger, how about some general thoughts on front vs back bedrooms?

Dan in Dallas

I had front twin beds, I recently installed a regular queen size. I sleep much better now. I also cut my dining table in half, took out the built in seat by the door and installed a recliner. I am single, it works for me, and I notice people stop by and talk now, they always seem to sit in the recliner though.
RMichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I like Kristy's reasons for RB.

VIDEO: Front vs. Rear Bedroom! on Vimeo

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote