2 Rivet Member

Fresh water tank valve question

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1432256320.706243.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	238918
2010 Flying Cloud
There are two valves on the underside of the fresh water tank cover. A picture should be attached. One of the valve handles came off in my hand. I don't know what they control or how to reinstall. Can anyone provide information?

Old 05-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I think they are system drain valves, one cold, and the other hot.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thank you. I have not been able to find them described or diagramed the parts or owners manual's and there is no leak that I can see. The valve handle has a stem with two o-rings.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
low point drain valves for winterizing your trailer. one drains the fresh water tank the other the hot water tank. had a tech tell me what and where they were located as nothing in the literature describes just where they are located.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
Does anyone know where these low point drains would be located on a 1980 31' Center Bath International? I have searched all other all of our literature and the trailer itself, but no luck.

Thanks!
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino33 View Post
Does anyone know where these low point drains would be located on a 1980 31' Center Bath International? I have searched all other all of our literature and the trailer itself, but no luck.

Thanks!
Not exactly sure, but I do know that on the older trailers the valves were inside the trailer, usually under the kitchen sink, and located in a floor cut out.

At least, that's where they were in our '75.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
I was under the impression that those two valves drained the water lines not the tanks. The fresh water tank drain is the white plastic valve at the top of the picture (seen as you look between the tires) and the hot water tank drains by the white plastic plug as seen from the outside of the trailer in the lower left corner of the tank.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:32 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I successfully replaced the valve handle. It is not a position valve, rather a valve you have to hold open while it releases water. If you try to turn it too far it will come off. The valve handle has two rings on it and more or less pushes or snaps into place.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Snoqualmie , Washington
Had similiar issue with drain valve....

When camping last week with our 2015 bunkhouse I noticed that one of these valves was constantly dripping (even spraying as time went on). I figured out that it was a drain for the hot water lines (and would eventually stop leaking when the lines weren't charged by city pressure or pump), so I was able to effectively ignore it until I got back home.

On the way home I called our dealer, and they thought that in order to address it they would have to cut an access panel and/or tear apart the belly to get at it, and they couldn't even look at it for three weeks. Well, that wasn't soon enough for me since we will need to use the trailer before then to travel to a weeding, so I elected to try and tackle it myself.

The first thing to note about the valves on my trailer was that you cannot spin them off the fitting, as there isn't enough clearance. The lever would stop against the fresh water belly shroud once you turned the entire petcock a bit more than 1/2 way over to unthread it. I figured out that if I removed the handle held on by a hex screw, I was able to just get enough clearance (with a bit of belly scratching) to spin off the entire petcock.

Once I had the valve off the trailer, I noticed that the brass fitting itself was cracked. Given the tight clearance to spin the petcock on the exposed threads, I couldn't find a low enough profile valve at the local hardware store to replace it, so I ended up ordering one from Amazon and just putting a 1/4" brass cap on it for the time being. Now, for the first time ever, the lines hold a full pressure charge overnight - previously the pump would run every 10 mins or so quickly to keep pressure in the lines. This leads me to believe that this fitting has been cracked since we took delivery of the trailer (back in January), and has slowly gotten worse.

Yesterday I did receive the new petcock from Amazon, but as I have a working system now I'm not in a rush to reinstall it until it gets closer to winter time.

If y'all are interested in what I ended up ordering to replace it, I went with this from Amazon, which is low profile and has a removable lever if I need additional clearance to install it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

I hope this information helps others - I wasn't able to find anything helpful in the manual.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #10
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by msipek View Post
I was under the impression that those two valves drained the water lines not the tanks. The fresh water tank drain is the white plastic valve at the top of the picture (seen as you look between the tires) and the hot water tank drains by the white plastic plug as seen from the outside of the trailer in the lower left corner of the tank.
That's how mine is.