Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
Flying Cloud Storage

We had been set on getting the new 16 sport mostly due to cost and new design, but we now have reservations about the storage space and the wet bath.
We found a 2009 19' flying cloud and want to know if anyone knows where to find the specs on storage space or how the flying clouds storage space would compare to the 16 sport?

Thanks.
boutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
_

. , .
hi 'outdoors...

already UPsizing the trailer?

good thing u got a tiny bit more truck!

storage space in a bambi, ANY bambi is gonna be limited.

nooks n crannies and the bath/shower do double duty.

so does the bed area and open floor space.
_________

FIND the CCC in lbs. some are as LOW as 50 lbs.

and consider IF the floor plan is more livable.

many folks think the 16 is laid out better than the 19s...

i greatly perfer the plain jane bambiz produced early in this decade for space, simplicity, living comfort and so on...

over ANY of the ccdz, clouds, army knife, dwr trimmings...

IF you look around there are a lot of threads with interior shots of these small trailers AND ideas about floor plans or living space...

here just 1 to get u rolling...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f365...bed-20767.html

a lot of members have posted PIX of their treasured units and those pics are helpful too.

but nothing beats getting INSIDE the units and romping around.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
Well you know how it goes, you think you've made up your mind and then you remember that it would be nice to actually fit our dog in trailer as well. Problem is our selection here in Wisconsin is limited and they only have the small ones and then the 25-30 footers nothing in between.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #4

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
There isn't a large jump in storage space. The biggest advantage is having the larger bathroom with the shower being separate. The storage space is similar.
SaskAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
Anyone have any complaints about the wet bath? I have read that it gives you more room to shower, but you have to wipe it down when you are done?

The only other question is regarding the separate black and gray water tanks on the flying cloud vs. the combination gray/black water tank on the 16 sport. Is there a big difference in cleanliness or upkeep between the two options?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
_

. , .
i'm not a fan of the combo only tanks (especially on small trailers)

because there is NEVER the option to let gray water goooo on the ground, where it's allowed.

i'd rather have a cassette toilet than a combo tank.
________

many of us sit to shower anyway, so the wet bath isn't a huge issue in that regard.

as 2 'wiping down' i squeegee the large dedicated shower stall 95% of the time anyway.

this takes 1 minute and is easy 2 master.

it makes for LESS humidity, less frequent REAL cleaning and quick storage of stuff in the shower booth.
________

have u seen the david wynick custom 75th units?

given how few streams are in your location, what the heck, why no look for 1 of these units...

they are only 3-4 years old and one of the NICEST tiny streams made.

(and dog friendly)

cheers

2air

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
I like the 75th Ann. Model, but having to fold down the bed every night would be a pain. Thats one reason we like the new 16 sport.

I'm not too concerned about not being able to dump onto the ground. We are sticklers for the rules and will most likely wait to dump at a station.

So, most people sit to shower anyways? Is this due to the size of the shower stalls in non wet bath units? Wiping everything down anyways makes sense to me.

So, the only major concern is storage and from what one person said there is not that much difference? Hmmm got some serious thinking to do.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by boutdoors View Post
I like the 75th Ann. Model, but having to fold down the bed every night would be a pain. Thats one reason we like the new 16 sport...

So, most people sit to shower anyways? Is this due to the size of the shower stalls in non wet bath units?...
not sure if MOST folks sit, but it is a position that works.

sitting allows one to take 'water thrifty showers'

sit, wet down, lather up, stand briefly to reach those hidden spots, rinse.

the enclosed stall warms UP from body heat, so it's not necessary to keep the water running for warmth.

a squeegee and microfiber handtowel make wipigng now the stall easy and quick after bathing.

i suspect a LOT of folks with the tiny showers or wet bath use the campground facilities when they are acceptable.

yeah making the bed every night is a pain but the 75ths approach is one of the better setups.

it's important to think about HOW u plan to use the unit and for how LONG on most trips.

2-3 days of nightly set ups is tolerable, but weeks on end clearly not.

which gets back to SELECTING a trailer.

NEW is great, i understand buying new.

for for a total noob, still working full time? expecting to camp what 6-10 times a year?

the depreciation on a new unit is HUGE.

figure 1-2,000 $ per trip that first year...

there are a LOT of single axle units in the pool of modern used streams...

anything from the last decade is pretty much the same in the 16/19 size.

find one that has been well cared for, is clean and so on.

that some1 else took the hit 4 major deprecation.

this would get ya camping and for a lot less coin this season...

then you will be wiser when it comes to ordering/buying a NEW unit.

and the starter trailer can be easily sold again.

food 4 though

cheers
2air'

Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Don't overlook the FC20; it has a different layout than the 19 ... with as much room as many SOB that are much, much longer ... at least that is our experience going down from a Forest River 23/dual axle/FB to the AS FC20. Out only compromises were the bed size - queen to full and refirgerator size. The AS FC20 seems to maximize comfort and storage in all areas ... with a much better bathroom and galley layout as well. We had the opportunity examine/scrutinize both the FC19 and FC20 at the dealer with them parked side by side. For us it was a no brainer on which we preferred.

In our neck of the woods, there are few AS period let alone much in the smaller sizes. We seriously looked / watched for over two years - to no avail - and decided to take the hit ($) and buy brand new. No regrets.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Beaumont , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2
Don't overlook the FC20; it has a different layout than the 19 ... with as much room as many SOB that are much, much longer ... at least that is our experience going down from a Forest River 23/dual axle/FB to the AS FC20. Out only compromises were the bed size - queen to full and refirgerator size. The AS FC20 seems to maximize comfort and storage in all areas ... with a much better bathroom and galley layout as well. We had the opportunity examine/scrutinize both the FC19 and FC20 at the dealer with them parked side by side. For us it was a no brainer on which we preferred.

In our neck of the woods, there are few AS period let alone much in the smaller sizes. We seriously looked / watched for over two years - to no avail - and decided to take the hit ($) and buy brand new. No regrets.
+
AS FC20 storage and layout is great. We made over 20k miles in ours on 2 years and still like it. We use both beds, that means to convert the sitting area every night but we found out it is worth the comfort. Just me and my wife.
bovk is offline   Reply With Quote