Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Silver27 - wonderful photos! Your rig looks perfect! Your two kids look adorable and appear to be having a blast....are they enjoying camping in that nice tin can? I bet at that age they tell all their friends about it, brag about it, etc

Also, what made you want to do the single instead of the double? I guess it creates a better space for the person on the bottom to exist within....how hard was that? did you have to add flooring?

We will likely leave the double for a while because while our kids are still very small, a couple may ride with us from time to time and sleep in the double...

Boy would I like to get out camping in Cali eventually....

Take Care,
Ellery

PS - we just changed over our order from golden UL to dark...we keep going back and forth, but honestly I just love both so whatev....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Sunnyvale , California
Thanks! The kids love it, and are super excited about the new trailer. We did a 12 day trip in the 27FB this past spring and they basically went on camping strike after that because they were so tired of sleeping on the couch and dinette.

We managed to assume an order that was already in the pipeline (which is how we got ours so quickly), so we just went with the color scheme that was already ordered (though we changed almost everything else about it...). The black UL looks very dramatic!

2 things on the bottom bunk - I cannot deal with the smell of the mattresses that come from Airstream, so the double had to go. Putting a latex twin from Ikea in there (and cutting off one corner to make it fit better, eventually) was the easiest replacement option. Also, we got the bunk area TV, but it isn't very visible from the upper. We wanted them to be able to sit on the lower bed and watch a show and have a place for their feet to go (ie avoid complaints about my son putting his feet all over my daughter's bed). We also like the extra little bit of space this area gives for putting backpacks and whatnot.

The plywood was already there and pretty solid, so we just took out the old mattress, put in the new one, put down a rug underlayment, and ordered 4 Flor carpet tiles to fit in that space. I'll post a pic when it is all put together.

Keeping it a double until your kids are older makes a lot of sense - my younger one wanted to co-sleep while camping long after we stopped at home...

Lots of great camping out here, but we're really feeling the size of this trailer. Seems like we're too big for some of the best places now. :-/
silver27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"went on camping strike after that because they were so tired of sleeping on the couch and dinette"

as such, as others have said, im really happy we went with the bunk to avoid just this

Yeah, out here in the southeast, huge 5th wheels and long trailers are pretty common so most all campgrounds accommodate 30' - ill just have to take my time and get used to maneuvering this big ol hunk-a-metal.

The black does give some interesting contrast....i polled on here and with some close friends in order to make up my mind....honestly I really really like both...so yeah...its all good.

Well, we look forward to seeing more of your photos! I need to get on instagram - have not done that yet.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Great photos and I like the lower bunk mod idea. How roomy does it feel in the kitchen? I thought the 23FB model felt tight in the kitchen and went with the 25FB instead. But I like this layout and plenty of side windows to make up for no panoramas on the ends. Plus, I like corner bathrooms, but not corner beds. No kids for us but I still like the layout!
matthorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
I have a 25 & my ten year old sleeps on the pull out front couch. He can bring two friends and all 3 can sleep there. My five year old sleeps on the dinette and she also brings a friend. We put n a movie and they are all content while we close off the bedroom and have our own tv and space.
As far as breaking down and setting up beds it takes literally 2 minutes. Congrats on the 30 Bunkhouse. See you out there on the road. You'll have no regrets. Check out Mali mish blog on Airstreaming full time with kids their inspiring.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Don't worry about towing something so long. The bigger they are the easier to back up.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
You'll love that bunkhouse! We have a custom bunkhouse with bunks for our seven kids--- we just love it. We had fun looking at a brand new bunkhouse when we were at the factory. We can't afford one but they sure are fabulous!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I've seen pics of your bunks! They are genius!!

I grew up with 4 siblings - never were able to do such cool things - and you with 7!! Super parents!!

I would end up killing them all lol

Old 08-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Pennington , New Jersey
trading in our 27ft Flying Cloud for a 2014 Flying Cloud Bunk - We have had it with our kids (5 and 9 yrs) falling out of the goucho bed in the middle of the night- one of them slept on the goucho and the other slept on the dinette bed- we rotated them between the dinette bed and the goucho when the first one fell out. They also went on a camping strike...saying it was no fun because of the sleeping situation.

We are looking forward to giving them a permanent sleeping area with their own space.
patentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #30
Charlie

2016 25' International
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Canaan , New Hampshire
We currently have a 25FB that we are trading for a 2014 Flying Cloud bunk (pick up in 2 weeks).

We have 1 daughter and have had several rv's since her birth. Up until about a year or so ago it didn't matter what we had she would sleep anywhere. Now, almost always she brings a friend or two. We have a travasac so making the bed is as easy as pulling the sofa out and throwing the travasac and pillows on. The bed situation is not the problem. Our daughter and her friend(s) like to stay up late watching tv and playing games. We like to go to bed early and get up early so we have to quietly make the coffee and go outside so as to not wake them up.

I had suggested to my husband that we give our daughter our room and we sleep on the sofa but he wanted nothing to do with that because he would "get stuck" sleeping on the inside next to the cold wall and having to climb over me to go to the bathroom.

Now with the bunk we all have a "bedroom". The other thing that will be nice is that our daughter has been told to keep all her "stuff" in her space as we are tired of having it on the dinette table! The bunk area has some cubbies so she can store her iPod, iPad and all her things that she must drag along with her.

I am a little bummed about loosing the pano windows but the pros to the bunk house out weigh the cons. Beside I was surprised at how much light comes in to the living area so I may not miss them at all.
dbms_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
you dog!! we still are waiting 6 more weeks to pick ours up!! have fun!

Quick question...does anyone know if the bunkhouse unit if you dont opt for the TV in the bunkhouse if it is easy to fit yourself the TV later...or just bend over and take it for 600 bucks now...?

Old 09-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #32
Charlie

2016 25' International
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Canaan , New Hampshire
We bought ours from the Hershey RV show. We drove 8 hours each way just to look at it. We were prepared to order it and wait but the one at the show was what we wanted.

As for the TV I would call the factory and ask if it comes pre-wired. The one we bought had 3 TV's. Sorry I can't help more than that.
dbms_l is offline   Reply With Quote