Old 10-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hocking Hills , Ohio
Once we decided on the 25' length, we created a list of comparisons between FB & RB and were very honest with ourselves on our style of camping and how we would use it. Our needs and decisions are unique, but it is helpful to see all the answers in these threads in making an informed decision.

We (wife and I) spend most of our time outside pursuing the interests that bring us outdoors....fly fishing, star gazing, hiking, eating under the stars, enjoying a campfire and just enjoying a good book under the awning. The camper is there for shelter, meal prep, bedroom, shower and lounging when weather or bugs dictate. First decision was to go with rear twin beds...rear because my wife is up half the night star gazing sometimes and rumaging in the truck for gear, and I am up at 0dark30 rumaging in the truck for fishing gear and driving off to throw feathers and fur at unimpressed trout. The rear bed gives us a chance to sleep while the other is using the lounge and kitchen area, going in and out the front door and getting in and out of the truck (which is usually parked at the hitch side of the trailer). This layout is also better for the odd afternoon nap after a late night or early morning. Twin beds for the same reason...we are not disturbing each other at all hours getting in and out. We also liked the extra storage capacity with the rear twin beds with three large exterior locking rear bays (which are much more user-friendly than the FB exterior bin accessed behind the propane tanks) and easy access under-bed bins. The aisle between twins is great for dressing and accessing the roof locker storage. On those occasions when we want to sleep together in a larger bed or have guests, we have the option of the lounge bed which takes a minute to make up. Since we spend so little daylight time in the camper, the view from the lounge was not as important as other factors (and often the lounge view is great anyway). Personally, I like the extra privacy of the bed in the back and certainly don't mind waking to a nice view. On the occasion we are in a back-in trailer site at an organized campground, we don't worry about folks wandering by on the walkway or drive in front of the trailer (if we had a FB) with our bedroom curtains open to the panoramic windows....seems like there is always someone who wants to look inside an airstream.

We liked the extra room, cabinet, and toilet layout in the RB bathroom.

The slightly shorter lounge was not an issue.

We did like the extra window behind the lounge in the FB, but were OK with the trade-off for the bigger bathroom.

Convection/microwave is nice for us, fridge venting notwithstanding

Think through how you like to spend your time and the places you are likely to camp to get an idea of how you would use your AS. Find a dealer with both on the lot for you to spend some time going back and forth learning the nuances of each. One will usually become obvious as the best for you.
Good luck with your decision!

Old 10-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
For us, the RBT with both a convection microwave AND the gas oven. Second, the bathroom is much larger (14") and it has a porthole window.
Twins we like because the rig looks so much larger inside vs. the queen, then throw the extra storage it affords in. Plus, much better for all guy trips.
We love entering from the front. Been to many sites where entering in the back would be a bit tricky.
For a 25, this is the best for us, but go with your gut and get the one you like the most!

WBCCI #9026 Watchung NJ Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
North , Texas
exactly Firefly we thought about where we've this pat year. All the parks we stayed at, most of the time we would liked to have been in a RB. also we are wanting twin beds. They seem to give more room.
Denkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Provo , Utah
My decision was based on the fact that in most RV parks when you back in or pull through the door to the FB model faces the guy next to you and all his sewer connections. I would prefer not to see those first thing when I walk out of my Airstream.
Chuck Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brookfield , Connecticut
We have been looking at Airstreams for the past couple of years and expect to pull the trigger next year. To date we have decided on a 25, but did not realize all of the differences between the units. However, we had already decided on the RB due to tongue weight. According to discussions on the Forum the RB has a fully loaded (ready to camp) TW of about 900lb, while the FB TW can be up to 1200lb. The RB will just meet the hitch weight specs for our vehicle (2018 Expedition Max) and give us an additional 300lb of cargo capacity.
Redlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hocking Hills , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I think you need to do a search; this has been threaded a gazillion times on the forum. There is no right answer.
Larry
I don't mind these "rehash" threads. I always find some valuable tidbit of information and there are usually a few new posters with an opinion to share. We have all been in the OP's shoes, being excited, looking, researching and perhaps agonizing over a hefty decision on which AS to purchase. For every poster with a question, there are usually a bunch of lurkers who will benefit from the answers. Yes, it is helpful to surf the past threads, but it is also helpful to have continuous updated threads as time goes on. Who knows....when the OP becomes a happy AS owner, hopefully they are contributing their own tidbits on future threads. Contributing to and learning from a forum community is one of the many benefits.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Nashville , Tennessee
There is the door opening direction issue that might enter into your choice. The RB has the door toward the front of the coach and it is hinged on the left hand side to clear the awning strut so it will fully open. If it should accidentally blow open when traveling, it becomes a "suicide door" as the slip stream of the trailer will blow it open rather violently and maybe destroy the hinges. The FB model with the door in the rear is just the opposite...if it opens accidentally, the slip stream of the trailer tends to keep it from violently blowing open. It's an issue of where the hinges are placed...not a huge deal if you are careful about securing the exterior doors as you should before hitting the road. We prefer the FB, but either choice is valid depending on your interior layout preferences. Also with our FB, we use a Fiamma bike rack and since there is no rear access cargo door in the FB's stern, the bike rack does not interfere with anything.
2016 Flying Cloud 25 FB with stern mounted Fiammia Bike rack. TV is 2006 LBZ GMC 2500HD with Gale Banks Engineering engine package. 40 gallon Aux. diesel tank. Front maneuvering hitch. Rancho XL shocks. WBCCI 5173
RobH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
If you’re looking at the 25 foot models, carefully evaluate the differences in the two bathrooms. The bathroom in the rear bed model is significantly larger. It has more storage underneath the counter and sink and is much roomier (as a previous poster noted). The small mirror has not proved to be problematic. I installed a full length wardrobe mirror on the back of the bathroom door.

The other deciding factor for us was getting both a microwave and a conventional oven. It’s nice to have both if you do a mixture of boondocking and RV resort camping, which we do.

Best of luck in your decision,

Mike
mpbiagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Simple, FB, rear view
m rafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:58 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Colorado Springs , Colorado
FB preferred over RB

We are also in the market for a new airstream and we’ve decided on FB, whether we go with the 25ft or 27ft. It is a personal decision as others have indicated with the 25ft FB the dinette area has a bit longer lounge and has a extra big window which we really like, and yet my wife does like the larger bathroom and the window in the bathroom which comes with the RB. We would go for the FB and the extra window and couch space. Plus the extra length makes the pull out bed just slightly larger. I don’t have any experience yet but I still prefer the dinette area and the entrance to be at the rear away from the hitch/ propane tanks, and the tow vehicle, a possibly away from traffic and better views.

We have spent a lot of time just sitting in each type of AS configuration, at the dealership, and that really helps.

I think Larry did the same “ go look at the existing gzillion posts” comment on a post I started about help on my truck size. Do look for other posts, but it’s really nice of these experienced AS people to answer your post and have your own thread.
Good luck!
mcclesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
Refrigerator Vent

I give you something to ponder.

The refrigerator with the microwave over the top
I’ve seen cooling problems as there is not a top roof vent. People are having
to have a baffle installed and extra fans.

Met with several owners at the factory who have had the issue. Of course we have ft twins and even with a top vent refrigerator vent we have hot weather minimal cooling.

We took the ft twin bed option as I liked the additional outside
storage. And the hallway length gives the trailer a longer look.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:26 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Fort Myers , Florida
Great Answers All

Thank you all so much for the awesome answers and insights into your experiences. You've all provided very helpful information that surely will play into our decision process.

One poster asked the size of the unit we are considering. We are tossed on that as well. There is an RV dealer that has several 2019 models on sale for what I think is a pretty good deal. They have a 2019 25' for 69,900 and a 2019 27' for 73,900. They have the awning package and both have factory solar installed. Plus something called the comfort convenience package. The 27' also has a 2nd AC for that price.

So much to consider and choose between. And I get analysis paralysis. LOL!
Rumple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I ended up deciding on a front bedroom configuration for 2 reasons. The first was the FB had two extra windows (above the two large windows in over the couch). I liked the extra light greeting me when I stepped into the trailer. Secondly, I liked the large storage shelf/cabinet with mirrored door in the bathroom; versus not having that in the RB. Yeah, I do miss the convenience of having the door close to the back of the truck in the RB. And I don't think I've gotten any better views by having a FB over a RB either (this after 14,000 miles of travel over last 2 summers). And while you don't have a microwave over the frig in the FB, you do have a nice storage area there instead.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Many of the key aspects of FB/RB have been covered already. You have to spend time sitting in each and imagining how you will actually be using your AS.

The larger bathroom (with window) of the RBQ delivers a hard to qualify tangible that takes a bit of time to appreciate. Views are good with the panoramic windows in either configuration.

I have fond memories of waking up to essentially private beach views in the FL Keys at back-in sites on the water. I think RB's make for slightly quieter sleeping conditions because you are at the back end of back-in sites.

If your trips involve more than just two up camping, the FB has an edge with a better/larger/slightly brighter lounge area.

You have to go with your gut feeling on which choice feels more "right" for you. My dealer says that FB's sell better than RB's.
Specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:13 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Where did you get those quotes for the 2019 25 and 27, sounds good
m rafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #36
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
Where did you get those quotes for the 2019 25 and 27, sounds good
Hi

This is the time of year when the factory does a discount deal on the remaining "old" stock. That would be 2019's at this point. Even if it hasn't been announced, I'd bet the dealers know all the details by now. If you can *find* a new 2019 on a lot, you should get the best price on it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The "National Geographic" view will be rare, the door in the back will be forever.
I like the door in front. Often when backing into campsites, I back pretty far in.
If the door were in the back it would be awkward.
Plus I like the door closer to the tow vehicle for unloading groceries, clothes from home, etc.
I'd spend much more time deciding queen or twins.
I just spent a month in mine, and I decided the queen was right for me. But the twins have much more practical use of space.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #38
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
the front storage area behind the propane tanks is the turnoff for us, we use this area and like the easier access in the rear
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Gloucester , North Carolina
We chose the 25 RB for the privacy - we didn't want cars or people going by our bedroom.
crookedroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Prineville , Oregon
We traded our 2014 25 RB Queen for 25 2019 FB Twin. When you flip you gain a window set over the couch (more light, better view) and we try to find spots to back in to take in a 200+ degree view...vs...road.

Also, the rock guards are like wearing sunglasses, but are beneficial in the bedroom.

Note: the bathroom gets smaller.

ORFC25FBT is offline   Reply With Quote