Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #21
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
Pulled the trigger

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on the 19' vs 20' Bambi. The other week I traded in my '09 19' for a 2013 20'. I traded and purchased through Airstream Adventures Northwest Boise (Nampa really) and not only did we arrive at a "good" price it was a pleasant experience.

Now we are off on the road.

Teton Stream
Old 05-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Congratulations. What are you towing it with and we need to see some pictures.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #23
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
Thanks. Pictures of the 20' are on the way. It's still in the hangar here in the Tetons as we had a nice 8" of snow on Tuesday. I towed the 19', and will tow the 20', with an '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Mercedes 3L CDI diesel. Great TV, torque and handling all in one.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #24

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Maricopa , Arizona
Bed measurement

What size sheets fit the bed in the 20 ft Flying Cloud? Twin or full?
SilverBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #25

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Maricopa , Arizona
Solar for 20 ft Flying Cloud

To the person that had the dealer add solar to their flying cloud, is it enough to take care of your electrical needs or do you still need a generator? Will it run the air conditioner? I like to dry camp but AZ heat can be brutal in early spring.
SilverBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Don't know how I missed this thread. I would have put in a good word for the 20' and I'm sure you'll like it. The kitchen space sold us on it. We also put 16" wheels on ours. Your Jeep will tow it just fine.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I recently upgraded from a 19' Bambi to a 20 Safari mostly for the layout. The kitchen on the 20' is so much more convenient. Plus the panoramic window on the front bed is fantastic for watching the sunrise from bed.

The one drawback of the 20' over the 19' is that I can definitely feel the difference when towing. The 20' takes a little more oomph from my Toyota 4Runner and I am getting about 2-3 less Miles per gallon.

-J
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Richardson , Texas
congrats on your trade. We bought our 20' this year, already have 1500 miles on it. I really wanted to keep it on property, and just didn't have room for a 23. We took hours comparing the 19, 20, and 22. Ruled out the 22, was hitting my head in the shower, among other things. Deciding factor was the counter space in the kitchen. We are very happy with it.

Anyone come up with a good idea to hold the kitchen window open?
HAschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
HAschner, we had a 20. Held up the kitchen window by opening and turning up the latches for a small opening (usually enough), or propping it open with a stick for more.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #30
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Anyone still here?

I had a 2013 19 FC and loved it. Sold it this spring in an impetuous moment and have been back in the market. Can anyone comment on what it "feels" like to walk into a 20 vs 19? i.e. does the 20 feel more, less, or the same in terms of interior space? Light? I like the bathroom layout of the 20 and the kitchen counter space. No doubt about it. The think I liked least about the 19 was having literally zero counter space. Had to use the dinette table for counter space when prepping. Or put the cover on the sink and use that bit of space. The counter space on the 20 seems amazing.

I don't live near a dealer and have not been able to actually walk into a 20, but have seen several videos so I have a good sense for them.

Was curious about the one comment that mileage seemed to drop 3-4 mpg on the 20, as the weight differential is only 400 lbs.

Any and all comments welcome. I'm really thinking hard on the 2013 20 that's available.

As a side comment, trips are just me and the pup, and sometimes (with any luck ) two of us plus the pup. I liked on the 19 that the dog bed fit nicely under the dinette...the 20 I think as a little less space under there. Not a big deal though.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Take a look at the "20 footers" thread. There is a lot of discussion and information within it. We tow our 20FC with a Chevy Tahoe and we are getting between 12 and 13 mpg, same as when we had the 19 foot.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:47 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post

Was curious about the one comment that mileage seemed to drop 3-4 mpg on the 20, as the weight differential is only 400 lbs.

Any and all comments welcome. I'm really thinking hard on the 2013 20 that's available.

As a side comment, trips are just me and the pup, and sometimes (with any luck ) two of us plus the pup. I liked on the 19 that the dog bed fit nicely under the dinette...the 20 I think as a little less space under there. Not a big deal though.
My wife and I completed a ~32 day trip to Alaska and then lived in our 2015 FC 20, with our dog (cocker spaniel), for another two weeks when we got there. We started to *feel* cramped at the 6 week point but it wasn't bad. Honestly the biggest complaint is the smaller grey tank. Other than that we don't have much to complain about. I did upgrade the wheels to 16'' with Michelin LTX M/S tires, dropped the battery box and installed 2x 6v golf cart batteries, and replaced the converter with a Progressive Dynamics 4 stage model. We also bought a 4'' memory foam topper for the bed. I think that's most of the upgrades we plan on doing except for the fridge fan and the water pump.

My wife and I ended up splitting nights on the dinette with the dog and the bed. The bed can work for us if you sleep head to foot but it was just more comfortable to have one on the dinette and one in the bed. When we slept together on the bed we used 2x blankets (one for each) as the head to foot sleeping arrangement caused one of us to get uncovered. That did make it a bit more comfortable.

We averaged 11.1 mpg throughout the whole trip (basic outline was Oklahoma to Ohio to Washington to Anchorage) with a 2016 Toyota Tundra. If you want more details check the 20 footer thread...
waldosgone is offline   Reply With Quote