Old 03-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Yorkton , Saskatchewan
Flying Cloud (28) with Bike Rack....

Greetings:

I'm considering purchasing the Fiamma Bike Rack and having it installed on a 28' FC. That said, the main storage compartment for this trailer in on the rear also. As a result I'm concerned about the compartment door not opening all the way or the rack being so much in the way that is renders this compartment unusable.

Can anyone give me a little input into this as would really like to carry bikes but don't want to have this installed and then not be happy with it.

I watched the install video from Airstream and note they start the video using a unit with a back compartment, but actually don't install the rack on that unit.

Thanks in advance for your input

Cheers
Doug

Old 03-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Vero Beach , Florida
Doug,

I currently have a 2012 Flying Cloud 20 with the rear compartment and the Fiamma Bike Rack. My compartment door is about 24" wide and maybe 16" high. You can open the door with bikes on the rack, or with the rack folded up and no bikes. When bikes are loaded, I find it is best to access the door from the right side of the trailer. The access is not as easy as it would be with no rack, but you can take things in and out without a great deal of trouble.

With the rack loaded with bikes, you do reduce the visibility of the brake and turn signal lights, and cannot see the license plate well enough to read it. That said, I haven't been stopped by highway patrol yet, and people do seem to see the turn and brake lights well enough.

I decided not to add a bike rack to the rear of the new 25 we have on order. We decided to carry a couple of folding bikes in the back of our Sequoia.

Good Luck

Old 03-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Yorkton , Saskatchewan
Thanks Feq Flyer - Very valued input! I did not consider the licence plate or more important the signal lights.
Folding bikes might also be a better way for me to go as they don't cost much more than a rack (installed)

Thanks again

Doug
Old 03-24-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Folding bikes take space somewhere and are mediocre bikes at best. We like our Fiamma rack a lot, easy to use and the bikes take no space. We can carry our mountain bikes or short wheelbase recumbents on it. Really easy to use, tail lights show well, haven't heard of the license plate causing any problem.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Yorkton , Saskatchewan
Thanks for your thoughts on this Doug.... It seems everyday that goes by I have a different opinion on this.
That said, I do agree with your logic that even folding bikes will take up space someplace and in my case would be the box of my truck. So I guess at the end of the day, I just need to make a decision and stick to it....

Thanks again

Cheers
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Folding bikes take space somewhere and are mediocre bikes at best. We like our Fiamma rack a lot, easy to use and the bikes take no space. We can carry our mountain bikes or short wheelbase recumbents on it. Really easy to use, tail lights show well, haven't heard of the license plate causing any problem.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
The low pressure area at the rear of the AS causes a l ot of dust and road debris to collect ... often right on the freshly oiled chain and other mechanicals of the bikes. Not the best place for any expensive bike. YMMV.
* 2012 Ram 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
The low pressure area at the rear of the AS causes a l ot of dust and road debris to collect ... often right on the freshly oiled chain and other mechanicals of the bikes. Not the best place for any expensive bike. YMMV.
Actually we completed a cross-country trip in November with our bikes on the Airstream rack. Bikes were not dirty at all.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:05 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Illinois
We ordered the '28 with the bike rack.
It's arrived at dealer and we pick it up in two weeks, I'll let you know how it works out
Old 05-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Yorkton , Saskatchewan
Hi Schuhouse - We did the same and went with the 28' and the bike rack. We picked in up a couple weeks ago and the rack is a very well put together affair. I'm glad we went that route

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Hi Schuhouse - We did the same and went with the 28' and the bike rack. We picked in up a couple weeks ago and the rack is a very well put together affair. I'm glad we went that route
Excellent...
I am a little concerned that access to storage will be compromised, have you had any issues?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Norfolk , Virginia
We purchased a bike rack that mounts over the propane tanks. We've been very happy with it. Here's the link:

Arvika RV Bike Carriers at Racks For Cars - www.racksforcars.com
Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Yorkton , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuHouse View Post
Excellent...
I am a little concerned that access to storage will be compromised, have you had any issues?
So far I'm okay with the restriction one deals with having the bike rack. The door completely opens and it is a bit of a pain with bikes on. Without them on it's not much of an issue at all.

Air #85270
Old 05-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Yorkton , Saskatchewan
In addition to the above - The restriction on the back compartment is really dependent to the size of items one puts in this compartment. In my case, I normally have "outdoor" type things (power cord, adapters, hoses, level blocks, chocks etc. So there is really nothing to big and having the rack there is not an issue.

Hope this helps

Air #85270
Old 05-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
In addition to the above - The restriction on the back compartment is really dependent to the size of items one puts in this compartment. In my case, I normally have "outdoor" type things (power cord, adapters, hoses, level blocks, chocks etc. So there is really nothing to big and having the rack there is not an issue.

Hope this helps
Perfect. Thanks. It's what I was betting on