Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2014, 08:01 AM   #301
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There was a gap in our Classic shower inside under the door threshold. A mirror will help you look at that space to see if you need caulking there. Water would run down the door and around the threshold and then between the fiberglass and the wood face panel thus getting the sub floor wet.

You could easily pump a full tube of caulk filling that gap and the space behind it.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #302
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
The shower leak is a known problem with this model. If you do a search on "shower leak" you will find more posts on this topic. As others have said, a frequent culprit is the large gap between the pan and door. You can try self leveling DAP or other sealant but as you will find the gap is large and requires quite a bit of sealant. It also cracks with vibration so re-sealing may be required.

Other people have mentioned that they place a shower curtain against the door on the inside that covers the base of the door and have solved the problem that way.

Good luck. Let us know what works for you so we can benefit from your experience.

This is quite an annoying issue so hope Airstream is reading the forums.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #303
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Greensboro , North Carolina
We are winding down our maiden voyage with "Beulah". We spent a little over a week in Michigan (after picking her up at Woodlands Travel Center in Grand Rapids) at Hartwick Pines State Park. (Loved it! It is a fantastic place: very nice sites and clean facilities.) While driving back through Ohio and West Virginia, we stopped at a rest stop for the night, unbeknownst to us, the plastic drain valve to the fresh water tank broke off, causing the tank to empty most of it's contents. We had enough water to brush our teeth, use the toilet. Not realizing we were out of water, we had turned the pump on and went to bed. We will not know for sure if the pump is burned out until we get home tomorrow! Praying it survived!
We are spending our last night on the road, at Highland Haven Airstream Park (south of Blacksburg, VA). What a wonderful place! So nice to be in a place where all you see are other AS's! (The whole time on the road, we only saw 2 other Airstreams!!) The location is heavenly. Tremendous views overlooking the Blue Ridge. We hate to end our trip!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #304
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASmojo721 View Post
We are winding down our maiden voyage with "Beulah". We spent a little over a week in Michigan (after picking her up at Woodlands Travel Center in Grand Rapids) at Hartwick Pines State Park. (Loved it! It is a fantastic place: very nice sites and clean facilities.) While driving back through Ohio and West Virginia, we stopped at a rest stop for the night, unbeknownst to us, the plastic drain valve to the fresh water tank broke off, causing the tank to empty most of it's contents. We had enough water to brush our teeth, use the toilet. Not realizing we were out of water, we had turned the pump on and went to bed. We will not know for sure if the pump is burned out until we get home tomorrow! Praying it survived!
We are spending our last night on the road, at Highland Haven Airstream Park (south of Blacksburg, VA). What a wonderful place! So nice to be in a place where all you see are other AS's! (The whole time on the road, we only saw 2 other Airstreams!!) The location is heavenly. Tremendous views overlooking the Blue Ridge. We hate to end our trip!

So glad you are enjoying her and sorry to hear about your pump. I just bought a Shurflo revolution pump so we have a backup for ours. You might check it out if yours is broken. I have heard pretty good things about them. You can get one for $70 on Amazon with free shipping. Hope your pump is not broken though.

Welcome to the 23FB club!
Old 08-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #305
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks for the tip on the pump! As they say, sh*t happens, so I guess we can consider ourselves lucky that a part that is relatively easy to replace and won't break the bank, is the one that goes out first! Who knows, maybe we'll be lucky and only have to replace the plastic valve thingy!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #306
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Our pump on our 23FB makes a fair amount of noise. You guys must have had the AC running, or TV not to hear it. Unless, I have a unusually loud one, which may certainly be the case. For $70, I'm going to check out the sureflo mentioned above.
Thanks bonginator.
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 AM   #307
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Gettinaway, yes our pump is very loud too. We were very aware that we didn't hear the characteristic sound, but we didn't know WHY we weren't hearing it. We didn't find out til the next day, that our water tank was empty, due to the broken stopcock valve. My husband spent ALL day yesterday replacing the $5 plastic valve. What an incredibly BAD design Airstream has in this water tank/valve. He spent the entire time finding a way to NOT hack up the tank to install it. As one of our AS forum members so helpfully posted with his identical problem, proves this to be, not one of AS's better ideas. Still haven't been able to test the pump with a full tank yet, but likely it is burned out...

Old 08-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #308
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
We had to replace our water pump early on, and it's not a big deal. Like you said, it's one of the cheapest things to deal with, and if your pump is located in the same place as ours (under the roadside wardrobe base) it's really easy to get to and replace. For longer trips we'll be keeping a spare with us, since it's something you'd hate to lose for long.
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #309
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks for the encouragement VTsmitty! It's not "if" things go wrong, but "when" they go wrong!

Old 08-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #310
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Our pump on our 23FB makes a fair amount of noise. You guys must have had the AC running, or TV not to hear it. Unless, I have a unusually loud one, which may certainly be the case. For $70, I'm going to check out the sureflo mentioned above.
Thanks bonginator.
Sure. I will post a report on my impressions on the new revolution pump once we have it installed. We are on the road now so we will wait until we return to install it. (As they say - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!).
Old 08-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #311
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
After a couple of uses of the roll across shower door and not being able to stop the water from getting between the walls where it's store, I installed a round plastic sleeve, thats used over wood clothes rod, over the square tube that has the track that the roll across door glides on, and installed a shower curtain. I doubled the shower curtain in half and the wife sewed velcro in several spots on each side to hold it in place. It's worked very well.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #312
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASmojo721 View Post
Gettinaway, yes our pump is very loud too. We were very aware that we didn't hear the characteristic sound, but we didn't know WHY we weren't hearing it. We didn't find out til the next day, that our water tank was empty, due to the broken stopcock valve. My husband spent ALL day yesterday replacing the $5 plastic valve. What an incredibly BAD design Airstream has in this water tank/valve. He spent the entire time finding a way to NOT hack up the tank to install it. As one of our AS forum members so helpfully posted with his identical problem, proves this to be, not one of AS's better ideas. Still haven't been able to test the pump with a full tank yet, but likely it is burned out...

That exposed stopcock is indeed a poor design. When I replaced mine after a similar failure, I installed a 4" PVC end cap 'backwards' to make a protective shroud around the stopcock. Simply drill a hole in the end cap to slip over the stopcock, and attach the end cap to the sheet metal with VHB tape. Accessible, but protected.

JamuJoe

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #313
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
2014 FC 23 FB: First Trip, First Impressions

Just completed our first trip in the new FC, and we were really pleased with our choice. All comparisons are to our first Airstream, a 2008 Sport 22 (not FB). We only went up two feet in length, but way up in livability. Sure was a pricey increase per foot, but based on real world experience, we’re glad we made the upgrade.

- Much more storage. We travel light, due to habit, military training, and the smaller first trailer. We did not even use three of the smaller cabinets for a five day trip. The galley, though with less countertop space than the Sport, has a slide-out pantry and drawers. Far more efficient. Plus we each have our own clothes closet, and a drawer. I can’t overstate how much that extra two feet paid off, right there.

- Flexible, more useable seating. The u-shaped dinette with swivel table allowed as much or as little table space as required for two. We could slide it out into the aisle, or turn it to face the working person, giving the other more ‘flop’ space on those beautiful, soft artificial leather cushions.

- Ready to sleep, queen-sized bed was so doggoned pleasant. The non-FB Sport had a front queen bed IF you made-up the large dinette. Usually we left it in bed mode, thus taking all but one side gaucho for seating. Even with a Sleepsack and roll-up Spacefoam topper, it made getting ready for bed tedious. And while you have to slide out the end if you sleep on the forward side of the new bed, you no longer have to crawl over your partner.

- Media system: the TV is in the front bedroom. Seems odd, as before it was in the living area/galley. But Airstream placed the screen on a longer articulating arm, so it can be easily tipped into the other space. Placed against the closet wall, it will allow you to easily access the bedroom. Surround sound meant we could finally hear TV audio with the A/C running full cool!

- Tank capacity. Two non-Navy-styled showers would almost fill our previous greywater tank. Only had to dump twice in the new one. We hardly ever dry camp, so water supply/pump use was not an issue.

- Less floor bounce when walking inside. With the stock stabilizers lowered, and X-Chocked wheels, this trailer was noticeably more stable than the single axle Sport.

- Just plain prettier. The Sport had the simple Euro furniture and cabinet design we like, but the Flying Cloud carries that same idea with more modern touches and colors.

- Towed well with medium-sized SUV, good seat-of-pants feel. Double axle felt smoother. Additional 1200 dry weight pounds did mean a few more moments in fifth versus sixth gear for our turbo-diesel, but mileage came out the same 16-17 MPG as with smaller trailer, driving 62-65 MPH.

- Small glitch: the side marker lamps flash every few seconds when plugged into the 7 pin. But didn’t flash when the TV lights were switched on. Otherwise, all lights and brakes functioned normally. Turns out to be a known issue with German (Audi/VW/Porsche/BMW) tow vehicle electricals and LED lamps. Our old trailer had a combination of incandescent markers and LED taillights, so it didn’t have these voltage follies. A new pigtail plug/LED lamp-out bypass adapter is on order.

- A/C drain: As noted in this thread... wow, this thing peed like a horse in the hot, humid Texas Gulf Coast weather.

If you’re considering going up or down in size, I can certainly recommend this floor plan.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #314
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
That exposed stopcock is indeed a poor design. When I replaced mine after a similar failure, I installed a 4" PVC end cap 'backwards' to make a protective shroud around the stopcock. Simply drill a hole in the end cap to slip over the stopcock, and attach the end cap to the sheet metal with VHB tape. Accessible, but protected.

JamuJoe

Sounds good.
If you get a chance, would you post a picture or two of the finished project?
Thx
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #315

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have now been out in Little Lucy for almost three weeks. This is our first big trip since downsizing to the 23FB. Our assessment so far is that Little Lucy has great road manners and is very maneuverable in tight spaces.

We appreciate Little Lucy's shinny new interior any are finding the living arrangement workable. I would be lying if I said that we didn't miss Old Lucy's additional space, but we are becoming accustomed to New Lucy's layout. Thus far on this trip, we have not had any further mechanical issues with Little Lucy.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #316
David

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Go with the 25 simply because the wrap around window in the back makes all the difference when you back into a beautiful coastal or woods setting. We have the 23 and will be upgrading to the 25 soon. Our friends have the 25 and it is much brighter inside and the view is much better
Davz2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #317
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fort Jones , California
I have a 2013 23'FB with the original 14" Matrathons. We have put nearly 20,000 miles on it since we purchased it new. I had previously experienced a blowout with my first Airstrem (a 19' Bambi) and I am now very careful with tire pressure and loading. I have not experienced any problem with the Marathons and have confidence in them if you are careful and keep them fully inflated to max and keep your load properly arranged in the trailer.
Jack West is offline   Reply With Quote