Old 12-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Brian

judging from the looks of that water filter, it looks like the same kind of filter that I use on the exterior water line. is one end threaded male and the other female?

I hate to bring it up to someone with your trailering experience but if I was going to venture a guess, that's what I would say it looks like.

EDIT: However after visiting the Pentek website it appears that it is supposed to fit directly into your water line. Perhaps someone started to make a change and didn't get to it... was your 23 New or New to you?

Dana

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #114
1 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Kennewick , Washington
The attached picture shows under the kitchen sink of our 2013 23FB FC. Our waterfilter replaces the jumper that you see in the picture. The jumper is installed when AS is winterized.
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131211_140541.png
Views:	109
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	201614  

Old 12-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #115

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Brian

judging from the looks of that water filter, it looks like the same kind of filter that I use on the exterior water line. is one end threaded male and the other female?

I hate to bring it up to someone with your trailering experience but if I was going to venture a guess, that's what I would say it looks like.

EDIT: However after visiting the Pentek website it appears that it is supposed to fit directly into your water line. Perhaps someone started to make a change and didn't get to it... was your 23 New or New to you?

Dana

The filter that I found in the cabinet is threaded female on both ends. This Airstream is new to me, but the trailer seems unmolested. The reason that I am thinking that this filter belongs somewhere in the trailer is that it was left there in the under-sink cabinet. Also I have the original window sticker for this trailer and it shows "Faucet w/Filtration & Separate Sprayer" on the factory invoice.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Brian

looks like DougNJanet's theory above is the most plausible explanation...

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #117
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
DougNJanet have it right. Same setup in my 23. Filter comes out for winterization. The piece that goes in it's place came with the trailer.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #118

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I have finally decided to report our bad fortune with New Lucy. We picked-up the 23FB on November 20th. We spent that night and most of the next day getting New Lucy set-up. We transferred the Hensley ourselves.

We took to the road late in the afternoon of the 21st. It was only about three hours to get home. We hadn't gotten more that fifteen miles on I-10 when a tire tread from a truck came off right in front of us. There was no time to avoid it. It went right up under the Airstream ripping off the sewer pipe tube and one of the fresh water drain valves. All considered, the damage was minimal, so we considered ourselves fortunate.

We brought Lucy home. With the broken valve, the city water connection flowed right out onto the ground. With the pump on, the same thing happened. We took Lucy over to Jacksonville for Thanksgiving. I put a small lag bolt into the broken water tube. This slowed down the flow, but did not stop it. We were able to use the toilet, but showers were out of the question. We were camped in SuEllyn's Dad's yard in Jacksonville, so we had access to showers in the house.

The following week we brought Lucy down to Sanders Airstream in Alachua. They replaced the fresh water valve and the sewer hose tube in pretty short order. We went back to Jacksonville for several more days, and then brought Lucy back home.

We continued getting Lucy set-up. We had been using Lucy's air conditioner and heat pump, and they were both working fine.

Yesterday, the heat pump quit working. The unit was trying to start the compressor, but it was not coming on. I tried everything that I knew with no results. SuEllyn called the Airstream Service Center in Jackson Center. They were very helpful, and told us that it was either the starter capacitor or a bad compressor.

We got a local RV repair company to come out and take a look at Lucy. The RV tech came today. He started off by replacing the capacitor while I kept my fingers crossed. No such luck, the compressor had seized.

We have a new unit coming in tomorrow and it will be installed on Friday.

So far, New Lucy has been snake bit.

Brian
Old 12-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Hey Brian, cheer up. Thankfully nobody got hurt on the I-10 incident. Equipment does fail, that's just part of living an active life out of the recliner. Fix the A/C and roll on!
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Glad you got a nice rig, but it was sure a bummer incident on the road. I can relate.

My former wife was driving with her sister in our 1971 VW Vanagon on the Interstate in Kentucky and in the blink of an eye, a semi trailer lost a wheel and it crossed the median and hit the van just behind the door post. A split second sooner and it would have come through the driver's window probably killing her and then her sister in a subsequent accident. The truck never stopped.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
I put about 20,000 miles on my motorcycles this last year. Those tire retreads are one of my greatest fears.
I hope the compressor was covered under a warranty of some kind. Didn't you buy from a dealer? Did he give you 90 days? Hope so.
Hope this is the last of the gremlins on your new trailer.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #122

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I put about 20,000 miles on my motorcycles this last year. Those tire retreads are one of my greatest fears.
I hope the compressor was covered under a warranty of some kind. Didn't you buy from a dealer? Did he give you 90 days? Hope so.
Hope this is the last of the gremlins on your new trailer.

We did buy it from an Airstream dealer, and we got the seven months remaining on the two year factory warranty. In checking with Airstream, we found that they do not warranty the appliances, as the appliance manufacturers warranty their products for two years.

In checking with Dometic, we found that their two year warranty applies only to the original owner and does not transfer when the trailer is sold.

There is always a Catch 22. New Lucy is having a really rocky start.

Brian
Old 12-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Weasels

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

In checking with Dometic, we found that their two year warranty applies only to the original owner and does not transfer when the trailer is sold.

Brian
I've had my experiences with Dometic......like the time they charged me $35 for a plastic refrigerator knob.

When the hinge on another refrigerator broke, I ended up getting Randy at Airstream to intercede. With him, a Dometic guy, and me on a conference call Dometic ended up sending me anew door as a good will measure.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #125
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
You gotta wonder why companies don't warranty beyond the first owner. What is the logic in that? they either stand behind it for 2 years or they don't. Total crap IMO. When I bought my truck from GM it came with a 100k or 5 year powertrain warranty. First thing I want to know, is it transferrable? Yes. Doesn't matter how many owners.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We did buy it from an Airstream dealer, and we got the seven months remaining on the two year factory warranty. In checking with Airstream, we found that they do not warranty the appliances, as the appliance manufacturers warranty their products for two years.

Brian

Brian,
Although AS does not actually warranty appliances, they did replace my range hood (fan/light switch problem) and reimburse me for Dometic thermostat repair during my warranty period. They also replaced all of the poorly sealed clearance lights (see the thread on filliform corrosion) with Classic fixtures even after my warranty period. I would make another pass at both AS and Dometic customer service and discuss brand reputation. Both have latitude with 'goodwill' repairs.

Cheers,
JamuJoe

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote