Old 10-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #57

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We did a whole bunch of soul searching before we decided to trade the 25FB in on the 23FB, and hope we are making the right decision. We finally decided that we just wanted to try something new. We even considered a couple of different SOB's, but felt that even though they were very nice, they would have trouble holding up under our extensive use. Additionally, we just plain like having an Airstream.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Hi Bill. Thanks for the tip. The 23FB that we have the offer in on now is a very slightly used 2012. We're committed to this offer if the dealer accepts it. If this deal falls through, we may well take your advice and wait a month or two and try to deal on a new 23FB.

Brian
Hi Brian,

Just FYI, if you decide to wait and order your 23FB you might be interested in knowing that the factory is currently 5 months backordered on everything. So you would be looking at March if you ordered in the near future. At least this is what my dealer is telling me.

I've found this thread very interesting and it has changed my mind about a couple of things, not to the point where I'm willing to pull the trigger on a 23FB, but I'm perhaps willing to give a little on the tire issue. So here are a couple of random thoughts for what they are worth. First, on the size of the 23FB, I personally like it as it will fit into smaller state campgrounds, many of which seem to have a 23' limit. It is my impression, though I may be wrong, that since most RVs are larger that the 23' limit imposed, that these campgrounds are somewhat less crowded than the campgrounds for larger units. Second, on the 14" tires, I might be willing to keep the new GYMs provided that I put a tire pressure monitor system in place. That and do what most over the road truck drivers do in checking the tires frequently. I also do not intend to drive faster than about 60 mph. I realize that you regularly have Fred and the girls in warp drive so this might be an issue for you. Also, it appears from what people have been saying in this tread and elsewhere in the forums that at least on the relatively light (as opposed to the 25FB/27FB) 23FB, that if given some care the 14" GYMs on a 23FB seem to do well. All of that said, I would probably prefer 15" tires, but when I see a couple of the pictures posted of 15" tires on a 23' AS, I grow more concerned about the reduced clearance space and what an unintended strong bump might do.

Well, that is my 2 cents, just remember that my 2 cents and $3.50 will buy you a latte at Starbucks...

Hope that all is well with you SuEllyn, Fred, and the girls.

Cheers,
Rion

GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Good Morning,
We have a 2005 22 foot twin axle Safari that came with the 14 inch Marathons. As far as the 14 inch being less likely to self destruct, I can only say that is not true. Before we bought the trailer the PO had to replace both the tires on the right side , and when we went to pick it up both the left side tires were splitting open while sitting in his driveway.

We cobbled up enough tires to get it home , I then ordered a set of nice 15 inch 0 offset trailer wheels . Bought a set of 235/75R15 Cooper trendsetter tires and mounted and balanced them myself.

The bigger tires fit perfectly in the wheel wells and has much extra space for any amount of travel that could ever come from suspension movement. The extra height makes dragging the rear less likely too.

The light weight per axle on these trailers makes it extremely simple to find tires that will safely carry the load and provide more cushion by having less air pressure in the tires.

We just got back from an eleven thousand mile journey up through the United States , Canada , and all over the state of Alaska. The cooper tires performed flawlessly and look the same as when we first left.
I would sure recommend the switch on any two axle Airstream that came with 14 inch wheels.
Regards
Old 10-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #60

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinMame View Post
Hi Brian,

Just FYI, if you decide to wait and order your 23FB you might be interested in knowing that the factory is currently 5 months backordered on everything. So you would be looking at March if you ordered in the near future. At least this is what my dealer is telling me.

I've found this thread very interesting and it has changed my mind about a couple of things, not to the point where I'm willing to pull the trigger on a 23FB, but I'm perhaps willing to give a little on the tire issue. So here are a couple of random thoughts for what they are worth. First, on the size of the 23FB, I personally like it as it will fit into smaller state campgrounds, many of which seem to have a 23' limit. It is my impression, though I may be wrong, that since most RVs are larger that the 23' limit imposed, that these campgrounds are somewhat less crowded than the campgrounds for larger units. Second, on the 14" tires, I might be willing to keep the new GYMs provided that I put a tire pressure monitor system in place. That and do what most over the road truck drivers do in checking the tires frequently. I also do not intend to drive faster than about 60 mph. I realize that you regularly have Fred and the girls in warp drive so this might be an issue for you. Also, it appears from what people have been saying in this tread and elsewhere in the forums that at least on the relatively light (as opposed to the 25FB/27FB) 23FB, that if given some care the 14" GYMs on a 23FB seem to do well. All of that said, I would probably prefer 15" tires, but when I see a couple of the pictures posted of 15" tires on a 23' AS, I grow more concerned about the reduced clearance space and what an unintended strong bump might do.

Well, that is my 2 cents, just remember that my 2 cents and $3.50 will buy you a latte at Starbucks...

Hope that all is well with you SuEllyn, Fred, and the girls.

Cheers,
Rion

Hi Rion and Nubuko,

Thank you so much for your insight. I know that you have been laboring over this FB dilemma for quite some time. We also like them all, the 23, 25, and the 27. Of course, we now have almost 1400 nights/115,000 miles in a 25FB. We always thought that if we ever replaced our dear Lucy, it would be with another 25, or maybe a 27. The interest in the 23FB came from out of left field.

On our way back from out west last week, we were making a list of issues to be covered when we took Lucy to Jackson Center for repairs and renovations. This is something that we had planned to do early this year but never did. During this conversation, we discussed the possibility of going with an Evergreen Ascend 22'. We had looked at one of these last spring, and really liked the layout for the small footprint. After much discussion, we decided that the Ascend was not built substantial enough for our abusive use of a travel trailer.

Then the discussion turned to a new Airstream. The 25FB is a proven floor plan for us, and we discussed replacing Lucy with a new 25. We also discussed the possibility of going with a 27FB for the north/south bed and built-in microwave. Then the discussion turned to the 23FB as an alternative to the 25 and 27.

We did a candid assessment of our camping style and routine. We came to the conclusion that we are more travelers than campers. We don't often stay at one location more than two nights. Lucy's awning is rarely deployed. We have two folding chairs in the back of Lucy's wardrobe that have been out once in the last eight years, and that was for staging at an "open house" at the Can Opener Rally in 2007. We don't own a patio mat and we have never had a camp fire. We are not big on rallies or any organized events. We don't think that we are anti-social, but we are not congregators. We use Lucy (the Airstream) as our base camp, and head out into the back country in Fred and Ethel (the truck and truck camper). If we come back to Lucy at all, it is well after dark. If we please, we have the option of overnighting in Ethel wherever we can find a level spot.

All of these things considered, we decided to take a hard look at the 23FB. While overnighting in Russellville, Arkansas on the way home, we went online and determined that the Airstream dealer in Gulfport, Mississippi, had several new 23FB's in stock. As our route home took us through Gulfport, we decided to take the opportunity to get an in-person look at a 23FB. We arrived in Gulfport around noon to do our assessment. We each spent about 30 minutes in two different 23FB's checking them out. We did this so that we could each get to do our own assessment without being influenced by the other. After doing this, we both looked at the 23FB together, and discussed the pros and cons. We also sat in a brand new 25 for a few minutes just to make sure that the old to new comparison was not an influence. We about decided at that point that a 23FB could work well for us, but wanted to discuss it further.

Since we were already at the Gulfport Airstream Dealer, we decided to let them take a look at Lucy for trade-in purposes, and to give us a price on two of the 23FB's. Gulfport is the closest Airstream dealer to our home in the western Florida Panhandle. All of the Florida Airstream dealers are much further from our house.

As luck would have it, the Gulport Airstream dealer had a brand new 2013 23FB and a very slightly used 2012 23FB that had just been traded in on a 2014 Bambi 19'. The prior owner of the used 23FB had bought it new eight months ago. He had traded his prior 19 'Bambi for the 23FB. After two trips to North Carolina, he decided that he like the 19' Bambi better, and ordered another brand new 19' Bambi. He had made several improvements to his 23FB, including high end honeycomb window coverings, and a state of the art rear view camera system. The dealer was going to work up a price for each of these 23FB's with our 2005 Safari 25FB in trade.

We continued home (about 4 hours away at that point) further discussing our options. The next day we got some figures from the dealer via email. We digested the figures, and decided to make an offer on the used 2012 23FB. As the weekend interceded, it took a couple of days for the dealer to get back to us. They accepted our offer, and we sent them a deposit. We now have a contract on a 23FB. We will not complete the deal until mid November as we are camped over in Jacksonville for SuEllyn's Dad's 96th Birthday. We will head back home next week and start stripping Lucy of personal items and add-ons in preparation for the trade. We will return Lucy to her original state including reinstalling the curb side dinette seat as SuEllyn had removed it in favor of another chair several years ago.

We look forward to the change and starting over again with great anticipation. We hope that we will be able to report in the future that we made the right move.

Brian
Old 10-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #61

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
Good Morning,
We have a 2005 22 foot twin axle Safari that came with the 14 inch Marathons. As far as the 14 inch being less likely to self destruct, I can only say that is not true. Before we bought the trailer the PO had to replace both the tires on the right side , and when we went to pick it up both the left side tires were splitting open while sitting in his driveway.

We cobbled up enough tires to get it home , I then ordered a set of nice 15 inch 0 offset trailer wheels . Bought a set of 235/75R15 Cooper trendsetter tires and mounted and balanced them myself.

The bigger tires fit perfectly in the wheel wells and has much extra space for any amount of travel that could ever come from suspension movement. The extra height makes dragging the rear less likely too.

The light weight per axle on these trailers makes it extremely simple to find tires that will safely carry the load and provide more cushion by having less air pressure in the tires.

We just got back from an eleven thousand mile journey up through the United States , Canada , and all over the state of Alaska. The cooper tires performed flawlessly and look the same as when we first left.
I would sure recommend the switch on any two axle Airstream that came with 14 inch wheels.
Regards

Hi Danny,

Thank you so much for your insight and personal experience on this 14" tire issue. With all of the input that I received on this matter, We have about decided that we are going to make the switch to 15" wheels and LT tires.

Danny, I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide me with the exact specifications on the wheels and tires that you are using, and the vendors from whom you got them. This would save me some 'shopping around' time.

Brian
Old 10-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Moosetags,

I have a set of 15" OEM Aluminum wheels off my 2010 27' Flying Cloud that are for sale. I just upgraded to the 16' Michelin, Sendel wheel set up.

Please PM or drop a reply if you are interested.

Thanks!

WoundedWarriorsFamilySupport.Org
http://www.highfivetour.com/
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #63

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaken49 View Post
Moosetags,

I have a set of 15" OEM Aluminum wheels off my 2010 27' Flying Cloud that are for sale. I just upgraded to the 16' Michelin, Sendel wheel set up.

Please PM or drop a reply if you are interested.

Thanks!
Thank you for the offer, but unfortunately, the 15" wheels that I would need for the 23FB would have to have a five bolt pattern. If I am not mistaken, the 15" wheels on a 27FB have a six bolt pattern.

Brian
Old 10-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Hi Danny,

Thank you so much for your insight and personal experience on this 14" tire issue. With all of the input that I received on this matter, We have about decided that we are going to make the switch to 15" wheels and LT tires.

Danny, I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide me with the exact specifications on the wheels and tires that you are using, and the vendors from whom you got them. This would save me some 'shopping around' time.

Brian

Order Confirmation

Thank you for your order, Danny Dimitt.
Your order number is: 11574
Date of order: 9/23/2012 7:53 PM
Shipping Method: UPS Ground
Payment Method: Credit card payment

Ship To

Danny Dimitt

Bill To

Danny Dimitt

Additional Information

Product Information

Product NamePart No.QuantityItem PriceTotal Price 15X6 5/4.5 Aluminum 5-Star Trailer Wheel

WA5014$82.90$331.60
Subtotal: $331.60 Shipping & Handling: $63.57 Tax: $0.00 Order Total: $395.17

Click Here To View All Current Offers
& Special Promotions

Home > Tires > Cooper Tires > Trendsetter SE 75/80 > P235/75 R15

Trendsetter SE 75/80

Availability: In Stock
Tire Size: P235/75R15
Service Description: 105S
UTQG: 440 A B
Mileage Warranty: 40,000
Sidewall: White Wall
Tire Weight: 24 lbs

$72 00 PER
TIRE

Quantity:
SubTotal: $288.00
Will this work on my Vehicle?
Shipping QuotePrice Match

Load Index: 105 Performance Rating: S UTQG: 440 A B Mileage Warranty: 40k Load/Ply Rating: - Load Capacity: 2,028 lbs Maximum PSI: 35 Sidewall: White Wall Section Width: 9.10" Overall Diameter: 28.70" Tread Depth: 11 Tire Weight: 24.00 lbs OE Specification: - Item Number: 90000008033
View all Trendsetter SE 75/80 Tires
Read Trendsetter SE 75/80 Reviews
View All Cooper Tires

these are the wheels and tires i went with , you should be able to find them at many more places than these
Regards
Old 10-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #65

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Thank you very much, Danny

Regards, Brian
Old 10-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Thank you very much, Danny

Regards, Brian
Happy to help out
Old 10-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #67

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Everyone has been so forthcoming on this 23FB wheel/tire situation. Thank you everybody for your thoughts and input.

As we move toward this changeover to a 23FB, we would greatly appreciate any additional input or suggestions on making the most out of our 23FB.

Brian
Old 10-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #68

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
In the 23FB, we are going to the single door 5 cubic foot refrigerator from the two door 7 cubic foot refer. We notice that the smaller refer does not have any external temperature controls. Do these unit work pretty well?

Brian
Old 10-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
In the 23FB, we are going to the single door 5 cubic foot refrigerator from the two door 7 cubic foot refer. We notice that the smaller refer does not have any external temperature controls. Do these unit work pretty well?

Brian
Yes, for us... We move the refrigerator's thermister probe up and down to maintain the right temperature monitored by our AcuRite Refrigerator/Freezer Wireless Digital Thermometer.

More information: Cool... and wireless
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0094 Wireless digital thermometer.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	198517  
Old 10-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:

Brian
We have one of those 5 ft control-less ice boxs in our 22 ft Safari , it keeps the frozen stuff frozen and the other stuff cold . Had qualms about it at first ,but it seems to do just fine running on gas while traveling or boondocking , or just as well when running on 110 volt .