Old 06-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #225
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Wow. I surprised that you aren't wedged in there wall-to-wall. We looked at the corner bed unit and while I like the expanded living area, that corner bed just looked to be a wee bit too cozy.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #226
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Vintage Kin Owner
Katy , Texas
Guess I'll go look... I noticed PPL here in Houston just got a 23 with the rear double on their lot. The extra sitting area/floor sdpace looks like it would be good for the hounds, just have to see if the double bed works. I like the size but have to face the reality of will we be comfortable for extended travels.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #227
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
I am posting a reference to a thread I created re: replacing my pigtail on my 2008 23FB SE. If anyone has an answer, I'd appreciate it:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...se-121154.html
Old 06-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #228
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
My electric tongue jack went kaputski on my last trip. Already checked the fuse and that is not the problem. The good news is that we learned how to raise the tongue manually. Not very tough as long as you have the right allen wrench.

Anyway - now I am in the market for a replacement electric tongue jack for my 2008 23FB SE. Anyone have any recommendations or cautions on what to look for to make sure I get the right one?

I am assuming that I can just replace the top electrical component that screws off the post with the allen screws but perhaps I am wrong.

Thanks for any info someone can provide.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #229

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
My electric tongue jack went kaputski on my last trip. Already checked the fuse and that is not the problem. The good news is that we learned how to raise the tongue manually. Not very tough as long as you have the right allen wrench.

Anyway - now I am in the market for a replacement electric tongue jack for my 2008 23FB SE. Anyone have any recommendations or cautions on what to look for to make sure I get the right one?

I am assuming that I can just replace the top electrical component that screws off the post with the allen screws but perhaps I am wrong.

Thanks for any info someone can provide.
Go on amazon.com. They carry all the major brands with lots and lots of customer reviews.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #230
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
Our tongue jack broke (a replacement, not factory) on our last trip too! Not as easy to work around as yours though -- the shaft sheared. Lots of jacking, and lots of blocks of wood got us home. Our dealer strongly recommended Barker jacks, said that is all Airstream uses. We found the best price on ebay from Mantelli Trailer Sales. Shipped fast, and arrived in perfect condition.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #231
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The jack may not operate if the grease has disappeared from the gears—it flies off them when it rotates after a while.

As for the bed question, we lengthened ours by putting it in a mattress stretcher. But if you don't have one of those, I suggest screwing a thin piece of plywood to the plywood base to extend the base about 4 to 5". Then move the mattress down and stuff something in the space between the wall and mattress. My wife made a bolster and I cut a piece of plywood to fit inside it—you have to trace the wall curve on a piece of thick paper (butcher paper works well). The plywood allows the sheets to fit under it and then you can use standard fitted sheets instead of those expensive sheets for an Airstream. I don't have any problem getting in and out of the bed because my wife sleeps on the front wall side. My back wouldn't allow me to crawl out. She crawls over me (that can be quite nice) or gets out at the foot of the bed.

Gene
Old 06-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #232
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
Our tongue jack broke (a replacement, not factory) on our last trip too! Not as easy to work around as yours though -- the shaft sheared. Lots of jacking, and lots of blocks of wood got us home. Our dealer strongly recommended Barker jacks, said that is all Airstream uses. We found the best price on ebay from Mantelli Trailer Sales. Shipped fast, and arrived in perfect condition.
Wow - that is a drag. Yes, the consensus seems to be Barker jacks from what I've found on the web. Barker owns the manufacturer of my factory jack which is called a Super Jack. We talked with tech support yesterday and they were able to help me diagnose and find the issue with my jack. I am going to post the solution so others may benefit if they run into the problem with their 23fb.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #233
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
I posted earlier about my Super Jack on my 2008 23fb which ceased operating mid-stream while using it. I first checked the fuse inside the trailer labeled jack and it was fine. Later, I spoke with tech support at Barker(H&H) and they told me there should be a second fuse between the jack and the trailer housed in a yellow cylindrical fuse container. He suggested a trick to check if the fuse is the issue - remove the fuse from the cylinder and then push the wires on either side of the cylinder inward until they are touching (thus creating a direct wire connection without the fuse). Test the jack operation with the direct connection. Luckily for me, the jack started working again so all I need to do is replace this fuse.

In doing this test, I also realized that is is possible for the fuse to lose connection to the two end wires in the cylinder so if your jack stops working, this is one of the first things I would check!

Hope this helps someone else in the future...
Old 06-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #234
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bong', on, that fuse. I thought you meant that one in your first post, under the tongue. The only place I have found that particular fuse is at RV stores. It is an unusual one, not found at electronics stores. Get several for the future.

Gene
Old 06-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #235
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Super Jack replacement fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Bong', on, that fuse. I thought you meant that one in your first post, under the tongue. The only place I have found that particular fuse is at RV stores. It is an unusual one, not found at electronics stores. Get several for the future.

Gene
My Super Jack replacement fuse: 30A - 32V Slowblow or MDL Time-Delay Fuse

I received my replacement fuses for the Super Jack from the manufacturer:
Barker Manufacturing Co., H&H Engineering Co. Div.
They turned out to be 30 Amp, 32 Volt Time-Delay Fuses…
Littelfuse Co. calls them Slo-Blo… Buss calls them MDL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0474.40 (fuse,cropped close-up).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	214202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	214203  

Old 06-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #236
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We are looking for a 23FB International Serenity so keep your eyes peeled. Prefer used, I've found plenty of 2014 but they are so expensive.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #237
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
McGuckin's has slow-blow 30 amp fuses

Bong,

Since you are near Boulder, you can get to McGuckin's. They do have 30 amp slow blow fuses, of a different brand. However, they are pricey. Don't know how their price compares to getting a fuse by mail from Barker.

We are still using our original fuse. I can't say if the ones from McGuckin's work OK or not.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #238
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
This thread is still going strong. That model sounds like a good one for your described lifestyle. How is it? Moosetags give us an update!