Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #281
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Have a great trip! We will look forward to updates on your experiences with the 23.

Thanks! We don't know, how much we don't know yet!! The forums have me pretty overwhelmed, but it's nice to know we have a community of so many knowledgeable and willing to help, folks here!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #282

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASmojo721 View Post
Thanks! We don't know, how much we don't know yet!! The forums have me pretty overwhelmed, but it's nice to know we have a community of so many knowledgeable and willing to help, folks here!

Just remember that all of us started with no experience at some point. There is a whole bunch of stuff to learn when you start. Take your time, ask questions here on the Forums, and it will all become routine.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #283
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Flying Cloud 23FB

Still good to know so many have gone before us and are full of great ideas and support! What are some of the most helpful things you remember being told when you started out?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #284
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Springdale , Arkansas
Wink Ultrabreeze Vent Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Nice. If you get a chance, can you post a picture of the side view? Enjoy them. You will love having the constant airflow...
Here's a side view of the trailer. They're translucent quality sort of makes them disappear.....kind of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0927.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	217048  
'48 Willys CJ2a
Ozark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #285
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Still good to know so many have gone before us and are full of great ideas and support! What are some of the most helpful things you remember being told when you started out?
Congratulations on your new Airstream Flying Cloud!

We are also newbies and gained a wealth of information from the forum members prior to recent purchase. Most helpful tips...read the Airstream manual...and repeat ....repeat. Buy hard copy or ebook of Airstream Newbie Guide ... our dealership provided a copy with purchase prior to pick up along with all the manuals. Many topics were somewhat foreign prior to first camping "shake down" but really helped having read manuals & newbie guide.

Take it slowly and enjoy yourself. Many of us learn by doing better than re-reading; especially tank monitoring system, convection/microwave, switching multiple power sources. Many experienced Airstreamers cautioned not to worry so much about buying all the extra gear but rather take only bare essentials & multipurpose items until you learn what your camping style & real needs are while camping.

Make checklists for preparing for take off (departure from dealer, home, leaving site)
Some of the operations seem simple but some of the stories & damage pictures posted as result of stabilizers left down prior to towing, windows left unlatched, leave newbies a bit nervous.

Few tips we learned first mini shake down...hook up day prior was good idea!
Keeping it simple & staying less than 2 hrs. from home was also recommended.
Take maps even if you think you know where you are going!
We leave next weekend for long weekend at the beach and have longer trip planned next month.
Be sure to take pictures before you leave to go home. We love pictures!!!
Again congratulations & welcome to this wonderful community!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #286
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Our first trip will be about 5 miles away! Meaher State Park just east of Mobile, Al.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #287
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks so much for your reply Fcloud9! We have the newbie guide and will have a 12 hour drive to get "The Silver Lining" to do some reading! I think you are absolutely right, that the best way to learn is to just do it! I'll post pictures along the way!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #288
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
My husband and I will be picking up our first trailer (2010 Flying Cloud 23FB) next week! I am trying to learn as much as possible from the wisdom from this forum! There's just SO much information to sift through! I have read through all I think I have found regarding the layout of our AS and the debate on seating space (dinette) vs. bed/bath configuration. The corner bed was a deal breaker for me. Just thinking the dinette could be made into a daybed for more versatile use of the space. We don't sit at a table to eat at home, so thinking this would be a good option. Anyone else do this? Also any specific advice for us would be welcomed! Thanks!

Congrats on your purchase. Hope that you enjoy your FC23FB as much as we have ours! The dinette quickly and easily converts to a bed - we've done it dozens of times for the grandkids. We always restore it to dinette mode in the morning, as we do eat at a table. Their sleeping bags stow quickly underneath the fwd seat. The outboard seats (over the wheel wells) aren't an issue for younger children. The queen bed, with large pillows and the padded headboard that I made, provides a fine, out of the way, daybed.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #289
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks JamuJoe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Hope that you enjoy your FC23FB as much as we have ours! The dinette quickly and easily converts to a bed - we've done it dozens of times for the grandkids. We always restore it to dinette mode in the morning, as we do eat at a table. Their sleeping bags stow quickly underneath the fwd seat. The outboard seats (over the wheel wells) aren't an issue for younger children. The queen bed, with large pillows and the padded headboard that I made, provides a fine, out of the way, daybed.
Great info! We will most definitely be customizing a padded headboard and other things to make our Silver Lining more homey! Thanks for your tips and ideas!

We are experiencing some cooler than normal weather here in my home state of Michigan! I've forgotten how variable the temps and weather conditions can be! But still enjoying having our new digs to stay cozy in!

Rusty and Sidney
Old 07-30-2014, 05:30 AM   #290
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
The queen bed, with large pillows and the padded headboard that I made, provides a fine, out of the way, daybed.
I agree.. This sounds interesting. Could you possibly post a pic or two of it concerted, and the headboard?
Thx
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #291
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Have a question for my fellow FC 23FB owners. Did anyone have any issues with their shower spilling some water because of the gap between the bottom edge of the door and the door frame? Thanks for any info!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #292

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Have a question for my fellow FC 23FB owners. Did anyone have any issues with their shower spilling some water because of the gap between the bottom edge of the door and the door frame? Thanks for any info!

We have not had an issue with this, but when we open the door after showering, it drips a bunch of water on the floor from the bottom of the door. If I immediately wipe the bottom of the door it helps some.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #293
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our shower leaks a little there. We put a rolled up towel on the floor against the shower base to catch any water that may leak.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:29 AM   #294
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Jamujo, I wanted to say "converted" above for the pics..
As far as the shower is concerned, we do have a towel/mat on the floor by the shower, I've not noticed it getting very wet.
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:47 AM   #295
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks everyone for weighing in on the shower issue. I think our problem was probably due to a combination of not being completely level and the gap. (The level on our hitch is NOT a reliable indicator of being level!!)
A level will be going on our next trip, packing list!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:02 AM   #296
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I didn't think my level was any good either until I found out that it has to be calibrated using the three screws around the level. So, setup the trailer so that it was leveled and adjusted the three screws until the bubble was in the center. I still use a large side to side level that is fixed to the front of the trailer.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:24 AM   #297
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Springdale , Arkansas
Concerning the shower leak on the 23FB -- we ran into a leak issue in our 2014 on our first trip. While keeping it level reduced the leak rate, the caulking/sealant along the seam of the shower at the bottom by the door had cracked. Water was flowing into that crack and between the door and the shower pan. After we would finish a shower, there would be a significant amount of water that had made its way out of the shower area and bathroom.

While we still do see a few expected drops just from the design of the door and splashes while in the shower, the main problem was fixed by resealing around the edge of the shower and pan.

Not sure if that is what you are seeing, but something to look for, and something we weren't expecting to see in our first trip out last February.

Tom
schkube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:32 AM   #298
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by schkube View Post
Concerning the shower leak on the 23FB -- we ran into a leak issue in our 2014 on our first trip. While keeping it level reduced the leak rate, the caulking/sealant along the seam of the shower at the bottom by the door had cracked. Water was flowing into that crack and between the door and the shower pan. After we would finish a shower, there would be a significant amount of water that had made its way out of the shower area and bathroom.

While we still do see a few expected drops just from the design of the door and splashes while in the shower, the main problem was fixed by resealing around the edge of the shower and pan.

Not sure if that is what you are seeing, but something to look for, and something we weren't expecting to see in our first trip out last February.

Tom

I think that is what's going on with ours...how did you remedy it?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:54 AM   #299
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Springdale , Arkansas
Not sure what I did was the best solution, but as we found this at the start of a month on the gulf down in Texas, I did what I could think of at the time.

1. Removed, dried and replaced the panel below the shower door. This allowed me to get in there and really dry things up, as well as confirm that was where the water was going. After removing the panel, I noticed a strip of wood that was screwed to the floor that kept water from under the shower pan and forced it out into the trailer.

2. Removed the screws attaching the door frame around the shower. Doing this allowed me to remove and clean up all of the existing caulk/sealant.

3. After re-attaching the door, I used a silicone sealant around the frame at the bottom and sides. Not being a pro and, like every other time I have applied caulk, I was heavy-handed. But, given we were away from home and we wanted to make sure and stop the leaking I didn't mind too much.

I am not sure that the silicone sealant is the best choice and given time (now for example) I would have asked what the recommended caulk/sealant would be in an RV shower. I wanted something that would flex and not separate.

Hope that helps. If anything, step #1 above helped confirm the separation in the factory sealant and that the water was going where it shouldn't.

Tom
schkube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:29 AM   #300
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by schkube View Post
Not sure what I did was the best solution, but as we found this at the start of a month on the gulf down in Texas, I did what I could think of at the time.

1. Removed, dried and replaced the panel below the shower door. This allowed me to get in there and really dry things up, as well as confirm that was where the water was going. After removing the panel, I noticed a strip of wood that was screwed to the floor that kept water from under the shower pan and forced it out into the trailer.

2. Removed the screws attaching the door frame around the shower. Doing this allowed me to remove and clean up all of the existing caulk/sealant.

3. After re-attaching the door, I used a silicone sealant around the frame at the bottom and sides. Not being a pro and, like every other time I have applied caulk, I was heavy-handed. But, given we were away from home and we wanted to make sure and stop the leaking I didn't mind too much.

I am not sure that the silicone sealant is the best choice and given time (now for example) I would have asked what the recommended caulk/sealant would be in an RV shower. I wanted something that would flex and not separate.

Hope that helps. If anything, step #1 above helped confirm the separation in the factory sealant and that the water was going where it shouldn't.

Tom

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions. We just sent a message to our dealer to see if they think it's necessary to let them handle any repairs or if it may be a quick fix. I'll update the forums when I find out something...