Old 01-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
The Container Store. That's were we got the organizer as well. The rails in the kitchen came from IKEA. After I finish the new nightstand/ shelf I may mount the organizer under the TV to hold the remotes.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #184
Tom and Phyllis

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
Dinette vs new Booth table

This thread has been interesting. I was wondering if anybody wants to do what my wife and I want to do to ours. By taking out the dinette and putting in the booth type wrap-around table, do you all think that is a viable conversion? Has it been done? Is there an existing thread about it?
Just wondering. You know this was done by JC on the new models I think.

LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #185

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have noticed that the 2014 23FB now has the wrap-around U shaped dinette. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to convert the older standard dinette to this configuration. Doing this would result in a smaller dinette table.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #186
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Here is an even crazier idea I'm thinking about..... Attached is a drawing I've started of the bed showing the storage under the 23FB bed. We are actually a family of 5 in a 23fb, but our kids are young (4,8,10). In a couple of years it might get a little tight. Instead of bunks I'm thinking of raising the bed and creating space under the bed for one or two kids to sleep. They would lay perpendicular to the queen. The current storage under the bed isn't that useable as is. This could potentially create more usable storage when the space wasn't needed/used for storage. There is also a fairly large area which contains the wiring harness for the 7-pin connector. I think some of that space could be given to the exterior storage compartment making it larger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1391046498.948728.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	204608Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1391046507.141457.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	204609
Old 01-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #187

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
That's a really interesting concept. I have never seen that idea broached before. I don't see why it couldn't work. The only possible issue that I can see is some sort of center support to hold the upper bed board up.

Brian
Old 01-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #188
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
I would probably move the sleeping spots apart to provide space for bed supports. I would also eliminate the gas struts and just 'fix' the bed platform....no need to raise the platform anymore. The only downside we see is having to raise the height of the queen mattress 7-8" to give a little more 'head room' for the kids to slide into sleeping bags.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #189

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
If you can pull off that sleeping arrangement, 50 years from now your kids will have some really great Airstream stories.

Brian
Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #190
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
By 'pull it off' I assume you mean if we don't kill each other after being crammed in a 23.... Just kidding. Last year was our first full year of camping and our kids are asking when we can start camping again. That's a good sign.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
By 'pull it off' I assume you mean if we don't kill each other after being crammed in a 23.... Just kidding. Last year was our first full year of camping and our kids are asking when we can start camping again. That's a good sign.
Just a FYI, my two youngest (boys) couldn't wait to move out and "rough it" in a tent and have their own place. We were often in bear country, so Mom had their tent very close to the trailer. So we ended up with three in the trailer. My daughter was a bit less adventurous. Just something to think about.
I also cooked outside quite a bit, and we ate outside most of the time.
Fun times inside tossing the "pigs" though, on rainy nights.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #192
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Interesting Concept!

Landrum,
I like that idea! We love to take our grandkids camping, but converting the dinette every night is a bit of a bother. (in non-bear country, a Cabellas Tent Cot has proven to be a fun alternative for them). I would think that the headroom below, after putting in a sleeping pad (the floor does get cold), would be a bit tight even for smaller kids. I'm not near our FC23FB at this time to take measurements, but how much headroom could you create for the floor beds, with pads, if you elevated the existing queen to have the mattress top just at window height? Elevating the existing queen wouldn't be a problem for us - we have similar on our sailboat, with a short hanging locker below.

Quote:
Here is an even crazier idea I'm thinking about..... Attached is a drawing I've started of the bed showing the storage under the 23FB bed. We are actually a family of 5 in a 23fb, but our kids are young (4,8,10). In a couple of years it might get a little tight. Instead of bunks I'm thinking of raising the bed and creating space under the bed for one or two kids to sleep. They would lay perpendicular to the queen. The current storage under the bed isn't that useable as is. This could potentially create more usable storage when the space wasn't needed/used for storage. There is also a fairly large area which contains the wiring harness for the 7-pin connector. I think some of that space could be given to the exterior storage compartment making it larger.

Attachment 204608Attachment 204609
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #193
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
If you move the mattress up 9" there would be 24" between the floor and the bottom of the platform and the top of mattress would be 2" below the window sill. A little tight under but there heads wouldn't have to be under. With sheets and blankets it would be flush with the window. Our two older kids are dying to sleep in a tent, but mom isn't quite ready to allow that YET. I think this would the fall back plan if it's too hot/cold/rainy for a tent. I know it sounds crazy but it is camping and it's still better than a wet cold tent.

We haven't 'pulled the trigger' yet. Still mulling it over.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:51 PM   #194
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I agree with GettinAway. Sweep the munchkins into a tent. Or do something a little less permanent to your Airstream, since, as you are already aware, they grow up really quickly. Maybe thinking like a boater might work, as in hanging things like hammocks. The kids will like anything you do because it's the overall camping experience with grandparents that will be remembered, especially the dumping part. Jim
Old 01-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #195
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Edit. I was thinking of my self and understand that you are not grandparents yet. For sure, I would get a big tent. Jim
Old 02-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #196
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
If you move the mattress up 9" there would be 24" between the floor and the bottom of the platform and the top of mattress would be 2" below the window sill. A little tight under but there heads wouldn't have to be under. With sheets and blankets it would be flush with the window. Our two older kids are dying to sleep in a tent, but mom isn't quite ready to allow that YET. I think this would the fall back plan if it's too hot/cold/rainy for a tent. I know it sounds crazy but it is camping and it's still better than a wet cold tent.

We haven't 'pulled the trigger' yet. Still mulling it over.

Yes, 24" headroom is still a bit too tight. Stepping out of the raised bed onto some small head wouldn't be too good either. I"ll stay with the Cabellas Double Tent Cot which our grand kids love anyway. We set it beside the Airstream partially under the awning for easy access and observation. Easy set-up. I relocated the magazine rack and store the folded Double Tent Cot in it's bag against the back of the dinette beside the door, secured with two bungees. Takes little space and travels easily.

Now, if you could do a pop-up attic bed like the VW Camper Vans

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote