Old 07-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Flying Cloud 2012 25 ft vs. 27 ft

We are about to close a deal on a 25ft Flying Cloud 2012 with twin beds. We are wanting to live in it for about 3 months at a time. Also have looked at 27 footer. The front and back ends appear identical but different in the additional storage. It will just be 2 adults and a little dog. The 27 footer might keep us out of some campsites. Would appreciate input if 25 ft is good for what we want to do or will we regret that we did not get the 27 ft. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
That is a tough question. 25 or 27? .
I originally had thought about the 25 then after much thought (seems like about 6 months) I went with a 27.
Looking back, I'm happy with my decision.
The extra space inside comes in handy for us and the length hasn't kept us out of any campsites that a 25er would fit. I just don't think it's much of a limiting factor. The lengths are not that much different.
Of course, this is just my opinion and my preference.
Some couples are happy spending a lot of time in a 19 and feel that anything larger is a waste.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that "it all depends".
Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f468...tch-47275.html

Here's the "death match" thread that covered a LOT of ground - also arguing the trim levels - Flying Cloud (Nee Safari), International (for 2012 includes: Signature,
Serenity, Eddie Bauer. Plus the gawdawful purple and mustard models for 2013) and the Classic Ltd.

Purple/mustard - If you really want something "different" and flamboyant appeals to you look at the new concept models on airstream.com - haven't seen a dealer carry a single one.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
25 is a great size, but as the saying goes, you'll always want the next size up from what you get... We had a Basecamp (16 foot) and grew into a 22' International... and I'm already looking for deals on a 25'. But, I have bought used so I don't take as much of a beating trading up. If I was going semi-full timing as you describe, the extra space might be nice.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
We looked for a 25' and found that model to be so popular that nice used ones go very fast and hold their value well because of it. We found an excellent 28' Safari and couldn't be happier with our choice. There are very very few campgrounds that a couple of extra feet will keep you out.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Our first trailer in early 80s was an A/S 25' front twins, then we went longer and longer. We just went back to the 25' front twins. We spent a great deal of time in several dealers before we decided to go back to the 25'. I could not justify the extra length, slight weight increase and cost for the 27' for a little bit of storage. We have been in it for 9 months and just love it you will too.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
We looked at every model and size settled on a 25B Flying cloud and we're happy very with it. We just got back from a 3 week trip and it was comfortable and had no trouble in any park due to length. We've been using our hotel room on wheels a lot since we got it back in December, so we are fairly used to the size and its features.

IMHO I think the price of the 27' is too high since you only get a bit of extra room around the queen bed. Not sure where the extra room is on the twin bed model. So, if you think you are going to be using the a/s for long periods of time the extra 2 feet may make you happier. Or you may not even notice it, like us. BUT I will say, if we ever go full time, then we'll need the 30'!

and away we go.......
pidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
We have the 25FB and really like it. We went back and forth between the 25 and 27 before we bought our trailer. We still talk about the 27, however, we only talk about it because of the fore and aft queen size bed that you can really walk around. In the 25 the queen bed is sideways. You get more storage in the 27 but we are happy with the interior storage we have in the 25 (two of us). With either trailer, the outside storage compartments are sorely lacking. Our pickup truck bed is where we store our extra stuff/tools/generator/etc. It really is a personal preference on what size you get. I haven't seen any campgrounds where the 27 would be too big. You may want to consider the price difference between the two as a factor.

One other point - check the bedroom length on both trailers. With a queen bed, the 27 has a one foot longer bedroom. That is what allows the queen bed to be fore and aft. On the 25, I don't know how the twin beds can be fore and aft without them being shorter than in the 27. Worth looking into.

Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
We had the same dilemma 25 or 27. Finally went with the 27 and love it. The extra 2 feet do make a difference and we have not had any problems with camp sites.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
We were originally shopping for a late model 25FB (shopped for years but kept just missing out), but when we found our 27FB we jumped at it. Would we have been happy with the 25? Sure, but we LOVE our 27FB. Guess it was just ment to be....
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Love our 25' FB twin, but with the length you are going to full time, you should probably go bigger. We're more into short trips.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Just to throw another wrench into the works - if you're looking at the 27', might as well look at the 28'. Despite the name difference, they're effectively the same overall length.

There are things I would prefer in the 28' for long-term use, including the L-lounge in front, slightly more galley length, and a side dinette.

Tom
Old 07-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The really big difference 25' to 27' is the fore/after queen bed. You have twin beds so that doesn't matter. Otherwise it's about a little more kitchen counter and wardrobe.

We have a new 25' and spent six months on the road last winter and just loved it. We especially like the larger bathroom of our rear bed 25' model. It would take 30' with recliners to make any appreciable difference for us, and that's more trailer than we care to deal with.

doug k
Old 07-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The really big difference 25' to 27' is the fore/after queen bed. You have twin beds so that doesn't matter. Otherwise it's about a little more kitchen counter and wardrobe.

We have a new 25' and spent six months on the road last winter and just loved it. We especially like the larger bathroom of our rear bed 25' model. It would take 30' with recliners to make any appreciable difference for us, and that's more trailer than we care to deal with.

doug k
Doug is right. If you want a queen go with the 27'. There is no way you or your wife want to "sneak/squeeze" around the queen on the 25. We tried it several times and would only get the twins in the 25'.