Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 08:04 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNameinNM View Post
Something to keep in mind when boondocking is the location of the inverter outlets in the floor plan you select.

My husband and I both use CPAP machines. When we went to order our Airstream, we added the 1000W inverter and the solar package along with some other options.

We'd decided on an International Signature 28, one of the rear bedroom floor plans (we thought we were going to get an International 27FB, tried to talk ourselves into a 25 RB twin Flying Cloud, but once we walked into the 28 we knew it was the one for us). We decided we'd just order a couple of those very small travel CPAPs to fit in the bedside cubbies.

There is an outlet on either side of the bed by those cubbies, so we're good to go when we are camping at sites with electric hook-ups. However, there is no inverter outlet by the bed. There's an inverter outlet by the TV in the bedroom area. You can run an extension cord to it if need be (and hopefully it's on the correct side of the bed or perhaps you can switch sides if it isn't, get a longer extension cord or choose a different floor plan).

I wasn't happy about the prospect of having extension cords all over the place at night since we'd both need access to that outlet. I don't care if you tape the extension cord across the ceiling and down to my side of the bed, I will still succeed in finding a way to trip over it!

We asked Airstream about the possibility of adding inverter outlets to both sides of the bed where the other outlets are, or at least changing one of those regular outlets to an inverter outlet. Initially we were given the impression it was doable (they even wanted to know exactly how much power our machines drew so I ran them through a power meter in order to give them an answer). After a couple weeks of waiting we learned that Airstream had "declined" to add the inverter outlets because they didn't want to incur any liability. My reaction to that involved a lot of four-letter words (which I kept to myself). We'd just have to find another solution.

Admittedly, in the 28 those bedside outlets are a long way from the inverter. We suspect that in a front bedroom model it's probably quite simple to do. I'm pretty sure that I've seen someone on these forums talk about having one added for his/her spouse after they acquired their Airstream.

In our case-- after considering a number of options, we decided to go with the C100 battery packs designed for our machines. We'll probably each get two of the battery packs. They can be charged off the inverter during the day if we're boondocking or even in the truck while on the road. This is a fairly expensive solution, but does also give us some peace of mind in the event of power outages at home (it's rare, but does happen every now and then).

I'm curious about your 40' diesel pusher-- I see so many of those where there is no nightstand whatsoever. Or if there is, often it's just wide enough for a pair of eyeglasses and not much else! How did you make it work? Were you lucky enough to have a decent-sized nightstand?
Once you hit the 40' foot size, nightstands are a "sometimes, but not always" Some manufacturers build wimpy little night stands that could barely hold a glass of water. I was lucky to find one that had a night stand big enough to hold my cpap. Other wise I would have made a shelf or something.

In the tiny RV's, I would have to stick it in a cabinet and run the hose through it.

Also in our rv, EVERY outlet operated from the inverter, I've never even heard of that not being the case.. but it can be managed.

As far as a CPAP battery goes, I know they jack up the price of the ones with their brand name on it. But at the same time, it's pretty convenient. So i would just got for it on those.
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:08 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Yikes-- I hope I didn't come across as blaming the factory for our CPAP troubles in my previous post. I came back to the computer after a break and was embarrassed by how rude I seemed. Uh... can I report my own post?

Any four-letter words uttered (largely to myself) when we learned our special request was turned down were due to frustration at not being able to take what seemed to be the easiest route. And by "easiest," I mean requiring the least amount of time, effort, thought or money on our end!

That's slightly ironic when I consider all the things we've done to ensure a functioning CPAP machine over the last 19 years, including hauling around a small solar panel, inverter, and deep cycle rv/marine battery back in the days when we still camped in tents.
Uhmmmm IT IS the factories fault. I think you're argument is very valid. Not putting an inverter outlet by the bed, at least one, is truly just silly. You can four letter that all you like and not hurt my feelings. I always have a feeling the "liability" they didn't want to take had something to do with the word "medical".
Old 05-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
NoNameinNM: Our bus had night stands on both sides and then a window valance on both sides where we kept some other items of possible importance. We too got rid of ours as too much maintenance when not using, just too much of a hassle. This is our third AS.
I concur. Heck I thought it was too much maintenance while IN use... haha.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
Also in our rv, EVERY outlet operated from the inverter, I've never even heard of that not being the case.. but it can be managed.
My husband was lamenting that fact last night-- that in my brother- and sister-in-law's honking huge Class A, every last outlet also works off the inverter. It kind of stinks. They kept trying to push us into a motorhome, but I've been Airstream-obsessed since I was at least 5 years old, so that just wasn't going to happen!

The inverter outlets are easy to spot in an Airstream because of the little blue labels, but here is a link to a thread from last year that adds another fly to the ointment:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...ms-127817.html

Here's a link to a photo showing just what they are talking about-- scroll down to the photo of the TV in the bedroom and enlarge it, and you'll see it only has one open plug:

Airstream Trailer For Sale VA - 2015 Airstream International Serenity Series 28W

I do understand them wanting to keep people from overloading those outlets-- there are no doubt plenty of folks who don't know any better.

Fortunately, in most situations it's really not a big deal. We know lots of people who use a CPAP machine, but we're the only couple we know where both parties use them.

This is definitely something about which I wish RV manufacturers were more proactive. It's not like CPAP usage is all that uncommon anymore, but you go through one RV after another at a show and it's frustrating how many have no nightstands and sometimes not even any outlets anywhere near the bed. At least Airstream gives us a number of options (and in a pretty darned stylish package, too!)

Our local Airstream dealer has been absolutely great about working with us to determine the best solution, because they help customers with this issue all the time.
NoNameinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Some CPAP machines come with a car cigarette lighter adapter, so it is possible to do everything on 12 volt except run the air conditioner. 2 Honda EU2000i generators daisy chained together should easily run 1 a/c unit. It would take a much larger, less portable generator to run 2 a/c units.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
One thing to keep in mind as you make decisions about how best to power medical devices is that most places do allow generator use all night...there are usually "quiet hours" which means "no generators"...

We have two Honda 2000w generators, but we also have solar with two AGM Lifeline batteries and a factory inverter (you can always get a portable inverter, too)... so we can pretty much able to meet all the needs and configurations of power usage. You'd enjoy solar.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I've been RVing with my family forever. We started in a tag Aljo, moved to an Avion FW. I'm highly functioning but do have Aspergers Syndrome (found out this year) and perhaps thats why I've been obsessed with RVing (Class A's in particular) since the first day I saw our friends 1978 Diplomat. So since I was a child I'd squirreled away money (my father also had me investing at age 12) and thanks to a few great buys (HP lol) I was able to buy a Winnebago Rialta when I turned 16. (If already been given a car). It wasn't quite a class B but it was driveable and I loves it. Well anyone with an Interstate knows how tiny and impractical they are (no matter how cute and fuel efficient) so I upgraded to a 38' Fleetwood Bounder. But I'd never forgotten my friends Diplomat and knew that it was diesel or notion. So a year and a half ago I became a flat-front streamer with my '00 XC diesel. I love it. Well took my parents only a few trips with me to realize what I already knew: Class A all day lol. Now they own my dream motorhome (I literally have dreams about it) a '06 45' Newell Coach quad slide. (She'll be mine one day). I'm sorry yall but in towables it's all about the destination but in a driveable the journeys just as fun. I guess basically where I'm going with this whole post is WHYYY?!?! I swear you're the 20th person I've talked to this year that's downsizing from their DP. I'll never get it.
Are Airstreams the most stunning RVs on earth? No doubt. But those looks come at too high a cost for me: NO STORAGE. I imagine you have a basement in your DP and I know mine is stuffed to the gills. You're gonna need a big pickup lol. And a new TV. I'm one of the few people whose toad can easily tow a 27' TT lol. I say if you want to downsize look at the XC Diesel Class A AS made. The earlier ones are called the Clipper. I've seen two people trade down for a towable so far this year and they're not happy. Don't get me wrong everyone I've met and know who's started in a towable LOVES it. But everyone who downsized is just not feeling it. Setting up is going to take you forever. Last I checked TTs don't have auto levelers.

Okay I'm done with my rant. Lol. Out of curiousity what was your DP?
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #28
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
NoName if you find the right person it's possible to turn all of the outlets into being fed by the AS supplied inverter. Likely the reason for not doing it from the factory is someone will try to run the microwave and smoke will come billowing out of the inverter. So the safe route is to only power a couple of outlets and hope someone doesn't plug their toaster outlet into one of them...
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
My husband was lamenting that fact last night-- that in my brother- and sister-in-law's honking huge Class A, every last outlet also works off the inverter. It kind of stinks. They kept trying to push us into a motorhome, but I've been Airstream-obsessed since I was at least 5 years old, so that just wasn't going to happen!

The inverter outlets are easy to spot in an Airstream because of the little blue labels, but here is a link to a thread from last year that adds another fly to the ointment:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...ms-127817.html

Here's a link to a photo showing just what they are talking about-- scroll down to the photo of the TV in the bedroom and enlarge it, and you'll see it only has one open plug:

Airstream Trailer For Sale VA - 2015 Airstream International Serenity Series 28W

I do understand them wanting to keep people from overloading those outlets-- there are no doubt plenty of folks who don't know any better.

Fortunately, in most situations it's really not a big deal. We know lots of people who use a CPAP machine, but we're the only couple we know where both parties use them.

This is definitely something about which I wish RV manufacturers were more proactive. It's not like CPAP usage is all that uncommon anymore, but you go through one RV after another at a show and it's frustrating how many have no nightstands and sometimes not even any outlets anywhere near the bed. At least Airstream gives us a number of options (and in a pretty darned stylish package, too!)

Our local Airstream dealer has been absolutely great about working with us to determine the best solution, because they help customers with this issue all the time.
It's simple.... if the manufacturer just added 2 batteries. There's all sort of room for it, this would solve any issues with powering all plugs. And I can assure you, 4 batteries are no problem through a nighttime. Promise promise promise.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Some CPAP machines come with a car cigarette lighter adapter, so it is possible to do everything on 12 volt except run the air conditioner. 2 Honda EU2000i generators daisy chained together should easily run 1 a/c unit. It would take a much larger, less portable generator to run 2 a/c units.
All true!
Old 05-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS View Post
I've been RVing with my family forever. We started in a tag Aljo, moved to an Avion FW. I'm highly functioning but do have Aspergers Syndrome (found out this year) and perhaps thats why I've been obsessed with RVing (Class A's in particular) since the first day I saw our friends 1978 Diplomat. So since I was a child I'd squirreled away money (my father also had me investing at age 12) and thanks to a few great buys (HP lol) I was able to buy a Winnebago Rialta when I turned 16. (If already been given a car). It wasn't quite a class B but it was driveable and I loves it. Well anyone with an Interstate knows how tiny and impractical they are (no matter how cute and fuel efficient) so I upgraded to a 38' Fleetwood Bounder. But I'd never forgotten my friends Diplomat and knew that it was diesel or notion. So a year and a half ago I became a flat-front streamer with my '00 XC diesel. I love it. Well took my parents only a few trips with me to realize what I already knew: Class A all day lol. Now they own my dream motorhome (I literally have dreams about it) a '06 45' Newell Coach quad slide. (She'll be mine one day). I'm sorry yall but in towables it's all about the destination but in a driveable the journeys just as fun. I guess basically where I'm going with this whole post is WHYYY?!?! I swear you're the 20th person I've talked to this year that's downsizing from their DP. I'll never get it.
Are Airstreams the most stunning RVs on earth? No doubt. But those looks come at too high a cost for me: NO STORAGE. I imagine you have a basement in your DP and I know mine is stuffed to the gills. You're gonna need a big pickup lol. And a new TV. I'm one of the few people whose toad can easily tow a 27' TT lol. I say if you want to downsize look at the XC Diesel Class A AS made. The earlier ones are called the Clipper. I've seen two people trade down for a towable so far this year and they're not happy. Don't get me wrong everyone I've met and know who's started in a towable LOVES it. But everyone who downsized is just not feeling it. Setting up is going to take you forever. Last I checked TTs don't have auto levelers.

Okay I'm done with my rant. Lol. Out of curiousity what was your DP?
Fleetwood Revolution LE

It was fine, but pricey.

Got a big truck, no problem there. Each version of travel has their ups and downs, from tents to class A's.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Even moving from a white box travel trailer to an Airstream I lost some walk around room and storage, but I've got an Airstream!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Another option that we followed. We only ordered the 50 amp service for the second air conditioner. Once in our possession we modified the entire electrical system by adding 800 watts of solar and recently a single lithium iron phosphate battery that resides under the sofa. The battery is rated 600 amp hours at 12Vdc and at least 80 to 85% of the power is usable. All factory outlets plus the ones we added are powered by the Magnum MS-2812 inverter all the time whether plugged into shore power or running off the battery. The Magnum can produce up to 2,800 watts of power and would even start the air conditioner for a brief time.

Just up the road in Paradise, Texas (northwest of DFW near Dexter) is A&P Vintage Trailer Works who did all of my conversion work. Give Paul Mayeau a call at (817) 919-3651 to discuss some options. We added outlets wherever needed.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
It's simple.... if the manufacturer just added 2 batteries. There's all sort of room for it, this would solve any issues with powering all plugs. And I can assure you, 4 batteries are no problem through a nighttime. Promise promise promise.
I used to make it through the night easily on a single battery when we tent camped, so I know it's not that complicated.

Last year, someone local to us listed a 23FB Flying Cloud into which he'd installed a very impressive, custom solar panel system with a fancy inverter and four batteries. We were very tempted by it, but at the end of the day I was still stuck on the International Signature interiors and the 23FB just didn't quite meet our particular needs. I'll bet that whoever bought it has been pleased!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Another option that we followed. We only ordered the 50 amp service for the second air conditioner. Once in our possession we modified the entire electrical system by adding 800 watts of solar and recently a single lithium iron phosphate battery that resides under the sofa. The battery is rated 600 amp hours at 12Vdc and at least 80 to 85% of the power is usable. All factory outlets plus the ones we added are powered by the Magnum MS-2812 inverter all the time whether plugged into shore power or running off the battery. The Magnum can produce up to 2,800 watts of power and would even start the air conditioner for a brief time.

Just up the road in Paradise, Texas (northwest of DFW near Dexter) is A&P Vintage Trailer Works who did all of my conversion work. Give Paul Mayeau a call at (817) 919-3651 to discuss some options. We added outlets wherever needed.
Now THAT is pretty cool!

Now that I think about it, I've seen their website before. That's definitely something we'd consider at some point, especially if we should end up doing more boondocking than not.

We actually talked about doing something similar to provide extra battery power just to the back of the trailer, but figured we'd give the C-100 battery packs a try. That may be all we need.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Quote:
Fleetwood Revolution LE

It was fine, but pricey.

Got a big truck, no problem there. Each version of travel has their ups and downs, from tents to class A's.
Too funny I almost bought a Revolution instead of my AS. But as you now know even Fleetwood's American line of products just feel cheap inside by comparison. I'm glad you're TT's working out so well. And I find it weird that the outlets don't run automatically off the inverters when not on shore power. My XC's outlets all work that way. Go figure.

I really hope AS brings back class A's as I've got the bigger-better-faster itch already and there's only so many things one can upgrade (ok I laughed as I typed that because I can probably find a million more little things till the end of time)
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:49 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

Brilliant! Will do!
Old 05-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Thumbs up Cpap

I have 2014 FC 25' and use a CPAP machine EVERY night. When boondocking I have a battery pack that will give me 14 hrs w/o humidifier. When I have exhausted the battery pack I plug the CPAP into a 20' 12 volt extension cord into the charger outlet next to the stereo.
I also have two 100W solar panels mounted on the roof and 2 Honda 2000's to help out!
Tan Son Nhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Man I love my humidifier