Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 10:13 PM   #1
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
FC compared to International

Does a new 25' FC FB have the same basic floor plan as a 2009 25' International FB? In what ways are they different?

I'm fairly familiar with the FC but don't know much about the International model.

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:51 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If you go to the Colonial Airstream website they have excellent photos and floorpans of various models. If you scroll down to "Sold Archives" you can see models from several years back.

Colonial Airstream - Airstream Travel Trailer, Bambi, Flying Cloud, International Signature, Serenity, Classic Limited, Interstate, Sport

When comparing note the higher cost of International decor and decide if you're getting your money's worth, or whether it would be better spent upgrading a FC with options such as full awnings, solar system with inverter, Ultra Leather upholstery, microwave, Michelin tires on 16" Sendel wheels, premium sway elimination hitch.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Look for and pay close attention to details!

It took us quite a while before we discovered that the 30' Flying Cloud had overhead cabinets over the dinette instead of the lack of cabinets, in favor of Vista View windows over the dinette in the 30' International. We much prefer the 30' International over the 30' Flying Cloud just for this singular reason. It makes a big difference in the feel of spaciousness and light between the two otherwise very similar trailers.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Interior design had little to do with my choice.

I'm a sucker for names:"International" sounds like a truck.

"Flying Cloud" sparks the imagination.

Passion over rationale, of course. But then.....isn't that what buying an Airstream is supposed to be about?
Old 05-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Interior design had little to do with my choice.

I'm a sucker for names:"International" sounds like a truck.

"Flying Cloud" sparks the imagination.

Passion over rationale, of course. But then.....isn't that what buying an Airstream is supposed to be about?
Amen, but for us, the interior of the International sold us. I'm not a fan of all the light color wood.

The layouts are very close, the differences when we looked at them, where the decor/overhead cabinet styles.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
When we were looking, the layouts were identical for the 25FB, but, as above, the décor and cabinets were completely different.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We prefer the look and design of the overhead cabinet doors in the Flying Cloud, BUT also preferred the lack of cabinets over the dinette (allowing two additional vista view windows, for a total of three in a row) in the 30' International. This gives a more open, spacious, and brighter interior.

Between the 30' FC and the 30' Intl, we decided to go International Serenity primarily because of the open space and vista view windows above the dinette. We love the high gloss white wood tone of the cabinetry in the Serenity. While the ebony cabinet finish looks great too, with Airstreams being as small as they are (no slides) the white wood finish gives a more open, spacious feeling to the narrow trailer width.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We preferred the Serenity to the other darker finish in the 2013 International models. When we started a new trailer search, we walked into the last (#25 of 25) 34 Classic built on the dealership lot. The light colored Hickory jumped out and grabbed us. Thus we ended up with our 2014 Classic.

Spend time looking into as many models as possible. The colors can really affect the feeling of the coach between otherwise identical models.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Another feature that we prefer with the International, over the FC, is the corian counter top in the kitchen (vs. wilsonart).
Old 05-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Another subtle difference I noted between the 30' FC and the 30' Intl is in the bedroom shades. The Intl has full-privacy side window shades, whereas the FC has the pull down shade which does not provide full privacy as the shade does not cover the sides of the window.

On the International:
Old 05-23-2015, 06:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
It really is to each his own. We have the 30 FC and chose that over a Classic or the International because we wanted the over dinette cabinets. The storage under the dinette seats is also so much more. We have the two lounge chairs and not the couch so storage is missing there. We find that Airstreams have so many windows that the upper vista windows matter not. (We are probably considered weird, but we both like our mini blinds--can angle to keep sun out and still see out.) And, like Cheryl said above, I've used FC saved money to pay for inverter, Sirius radio, upgrade tires, etc.
now, if storage ment nothing to us, I'd be on board with Mr. DHeart, the Int. Serenity is beautiful.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Howard... it was a close decision between the FC and the Serenity. There aspects of the FC which we prefer to the Serenity. So, in the end, either way you go, something is given up for something else gained. Fortunately, there isn't a bad choice either way.

I like the ability of the mini blinds to block sun while still being able to see out. I'm hoping that with the full awning option, we won't feel the need to replace the pull down shades with mini blinds.

And, we're going with two recliners up front, like you did, (awesome choice for comfort, BTW) and will lose some storage there as well. We're thinking that with the 30' (and the larger mid-closet) that we will be ok with storage.

You are right, though, a lot of storage space is given up with the International and going with recliners!
Old 05-23-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Does a new 25' FC FB have the same basic floor plan as a 2009 25' International FB? In what ways are they different?

I'm fairly familiar with the FC but don't know much about the International model.

Thanks!
The floorpan is the same. The Flying Cloud has the airline lockers and carmel themed warm interior. The International in 2009 was white formica I believe with grass insert sliding doors on lighted (inside) lockers at least in its light color choice. I remember seeing a few as they were the first Airstreams I had seen. Both had white formica everywhere other things were different though between the two- countertops, etc. I also believe that the 2009 International had formica counters (wilsonart) just in a different pattern/color. The rest is different faucets, etc. Between the two I would vote for the FC. A current style Serenity International and, well, that is tougher choice. I was trying to find out when Airstream went to the current Serenity/Signature International styles. I think it was 2011 from the charts. Previous to that the Serenity shows as the Ocean Breeze- seen those too. White formica light blue palm tree curtains, etc.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
All the different models have their pros and cons. Unfortunately you don't really know your level of satisfaction until you own it and have slept in it for some time. Here are some things I know now, that I didn't know before owning a 25' flying cloud rear bedroom twin.

1. The fridge cooling fan is loud, I switched mine to 2 Silenx fans. So maybe I should have bought a model that had a roof vent instead? No fan in those.

2. The rear twins are not as big as they seem at first, this is due to the curved end of the trailer with the likewise curved mattress. Yes they are long enough, but it would be nice if they were wider. Maybe I should have bought a queen bed model?

3. The shower floor is small due to the wheel well. The seat over the well is pointless. Maybe I shoud have bought a model with a rear bath?

4. The toilet is round and small. Elongated would be better, however I don't think any of the models offer that!
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeboxfun View Post
All the different models have their pros and cons. Unfortunately you don't really know your level of satisfaction until you own it and have slept in it for some time. Here are some things I know now, that I didn't know before owning a 25' flying cloud rear bedroom twin.

1. The fridge cooling fan is loud, I switched mine to 2 Silenx fans. So maybe I should have bought a model that had a roof vent instead? No fan in those.

2. The rear twins are not as big as they seem at first, this is due to the curved end of the trailer with the likewise curved mattress. Yes they are long enough, but it would be nice if they were wider. Maybe I should have bought a queen bed model?

3. The shower floor is small due to the wheel well. The seat over the well is pointless. Maybe I shoud have bought a model with a rear bath?

4. The toilet is round and small. Elongated would be better, however I don't think any of the models offer that!
Interesting observations.

Are the fridge fans a component of the refrigerator or something associated with the coach? Good to know that they can be made less obtrusive.

I don't know if the toilet is elongated in the 30' models, but that bathroom is long enough to accommodate an elongated toilet (upgrade?) if desired. The feel of the toilet seat may seem like a small matter, but a comfortable toilet seat is one of life's minor pleasures!
Old 05-24-2015, 01:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post

Are the fridge fans a component of the refrigerator or something associated with the coach? Good to know that they can be made less obtrusive.

I don't know if the toilet is elongated in the 30' models, but that bathroom is long enough to accommodate an elongated toilet (upgrade?) if desired. The feel of the toilet seat may seem like a small matter, but a comfortable toilet seat is one of life's minor pleasures!
In the 25 ft the fridge fans are only in the rear bed. FB has roof vent.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:37 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Anyway, back to the decor, which was I think the original point. The International interior is a more sophisticated look, however you pay dearly for that look. The look and style does make a difference though, we bought a flying cloud over a sport model in part because of how the interior finishes looked.
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:37 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post

The current model 25' "Rear Bed" International has the larger bathroom and toilet area with window from the 30'.

The space for this has been taken from the side lounge bench, which has one fewer side window/dormer and a shorter couch and is notably "cozier"
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We didn't like the floor color in the International. That tanish yellow is just hideous, we replaced ours with a white oak color, and it has made a huge difference in the brightness of the Airstream when all the windows are open.

(don't have a good photo presently that doesn't have a giant 5 on it.)
Old 05-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We like the flooring on the current International Serenity. The brown wood-like color is very practical as it does not show every spec of dirt that is inevitable in a camping trailer:

The 30' model, at least, is very bright and light, especially with the three vista view windows over the dinette area and the large central skylight.