Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I have always liked the layout of the 28 with that side dinette + the couch towards the front. They put that layout in the 25fter once upon a time.

I just wish they'd find a way to swap it around with that layout in a front bedroom configuration. I liked the light Serenity interior but my wife hated that orangish wall.

Can't win them all. lol
Old 05-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Note that the Vista View windows are above the awning.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
Note that the Vista View windows are above the awning.

cheryl
Yes indeed. I like that. And they have a nice shade on them if you don't want that much light.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I think they are all amazing inside. FC is beautiful, we chose the signature for the dark wood, as we simply just liked it. But it seems you can't go wrong with any of them.

Also, I think the toilet is too small period, but I don't live on it, soo...... But they could have given us boys a little extra room up front eh? Wonder if the toilet could be changed..hmmmm...
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Further, what really one us over on the signature was looking at photos from the blog just5moreminutes.com She packs items of color into the cabinets, and with the lights inside, they make for some interesting visual appeal, and I really liked that concept.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Just mentioned the Vista views because of the solar heat they provide. Some southern purchasers have opted to delete the skylight on their factory order for that reason.

Another note on the overhead opaque cabinet doors, there will be lots of stuff inside when in actual use, rather than display.

cheryl
Old 05-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I find this thread interesting for the fact that it shows that everyone has a different taste and Airstream tries to provide a product that matches what we want. There is one main drawback for us when it comes to the International line and that is the sliding doors on the overhead cabinets. They always look good in the photos when they are empty and the lights are on but what do they look like when you fill them up with your basic "stuff".

We like the hinged doors that do not let people see all the boxes and bowls and basic traveling junk that we pack. We also like the lighter look of the light wood against the black interiors of some. But again, to each his own. I do think that some of the International coaches do appear to be built of higher quality counter tops, flooring and window coverings. But then, they also cost more.

One last thing. I personally would avoid a fridge that was not vented to the roof. There seem to be a lot of complaints about fans running long and loud in some of the newer trailers. Mine does not make a sound, no fan.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The fridge fan is a non-issue to us. It allows us allows us to have a practical and convenient convection/microwave oven over our fridge, rather than a fridge vent out the roof.

We also have a propane range top and oven when needed.

The factory fan is indeed noisy, but it is easily and inexpensively replaceable with a fan you cannot hear.

We put this one in place of the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3157.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	239112  
Old 05-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Just mentioned the Vista views because of the solar heat they provide. Some southern purchasers have opted to delete the skylight on their factory order for that reason.

Another note on the overhead opaque cabinet doors, there will be lots of stuff inside when in actual use, rather than display.

cheryl
Just make it "pretty" stuff I had that worry at first too, but then I realized my interior decor skills could go to work with colored baskets, and all sorts of manners of stuff to hold stuff. Plus for us, we travel very light. Figured I could have a lot of fun with this, my wife could have a lot of fun with this too
Old 05-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
What I noticed noise wide in our 27fb, is right under the kitchen cabinet drawers where they meet the bathroom, is the breaker box at floor level and I assume the inverter too, and there's a lot of fan noise from right there, but it kinda just blended in eventually and wasn't much of a bother, but the thought crossed my mind... how could I quiet that down...
Old 05-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Woodland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
We didn't like the floor color ... we replaced ours with a white oak color.
BoldAdventure, did you order this from the factory, or was this an aftermarket alteration? Does it run the entire floor (under the cabinets etc...)?

I love the darker floor and lighter wood laminate of the Serenity, but want it on the standard FC cabinets. Not really a fan of the transparent sliders. Would be nice to custom order from JC. Might even consider an Ocean Breeze scheme, loved those colors, and that Kaleidoscope Aluminum panel by the stove. OK, maybe not the curtains; too garish.
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #32
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach5 View Post
BoldAdventure, did you order this from the factory, or was this an aftermarket alteration? Does it run the entire floor (under the cabinets etc...)?

I love the darker floor and lighter wood laminate of the Serenity, but want it on the standard FC cabinets. Not really a fan of the transparent sliders. Would be nice to custom order from JC. Might even consider an Ocean Breeze scheme, loved those colors, and that Kaleidoscope Aluminum panel by the stove. OK, maybe not the curtains; too garish.
Our's is custom (we bought used), I removed the old flooring, and mine only runs the whole floor under the front couch and completely in the back, I didn't remove the galley or wardrobe and things.

Personally prefer the over head transparent sliders. They're even better with a splash of color. (We added color'd tint film to the back side for awhile)

The Ocean Breeze hasn't been an option since 2007 if I remember correctly.

Honestly, I wish Airstream offered more combination possibilities. We ended up buying used not just because I didn't want to empty my entire savings buying new, but because when we thought about all the upgrades/tweaks we'd want to do, we knew it would just fit the budget better.

But if we could of mix/matched, we might of ordered new.

We're in NY this month getting our cushions reupholstered with a fabric of our own choosing.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:

cheryl
Yes. Some people may not like the Vista Views.

If the stuff in the cabinets is a little more visible than desired (there is more blur with the Serenity than the Signature, due to etching on the Serenity doors), there are a variety of ways to make the translucent panels blurrier, or a little or a lot more opaque, or more colorful, if desired. One could use spray adhesive and lay grasscloth or other material on the backside, if that effect is desired. The sliding translucent panels pop out easily and can be treated in all manner of different ways (tints, gels, frostings, etc.) as desired. Could be a fun, creative project! I like the lights inside the cabinets creating a glow through the cabinets, as BoldAdventure's and Plasma's photos show.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:57 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Woodland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
The Ocean Breeze hasn't been an option since 2007 if I remember correctly.
Yeah, 2009 actually, but I believe the laminates and flooring are still available in Wilsonart's catalog.

I want to choose everything decorative from a select pallet. I am used to customizing my vehicles in an online configurator, why should the most expensive premium travel trailer available be any different? I guess the cost to create a decent website might cut into their profit margin.
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I think Airstream may be open to a small amount of relatively easy modifications to coaches on "the line". But my impression is that they aren't open to any extensive mods. And someone needs to pay close attention to a "customized" unit to make sure it gets the special treatment. That could be expensive. And, I could be wrong.

Does anyone here know for sure, what modifications Airstream is open to during initial production, and what premiums are charges for such mods?

Certainly, after purchase, custom work of anything your heart desires is readily available... all that takes is time and a goodly amount of additional monies!
Old 05-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When we ordered our Classic, we got a countersigned change order signed by the VP of Production for two "custom" changes in our Classic. We switched the Classic wood look linoleum for the International Serenity light brown flooring and wanted an aluminum backsplash behind the bathroom sink versus the standard mouse fur wall covering. These changes cost $450.

I had the "pdf" file of that change order on my laptop. I was at the factory for the entire build process. One day I looked in and the common wall for the bathroom sink with the bedroom was installed along with the vanity cabinet and over head medicine cabinet. On the other side the shower was installed. The supervisor asked me how I liked it.

I replied "Great! Except this is the wrong flooring and no aluminum backsplash is installed." His response was it was not on the work order. Soon a gaggle of supervisors were gathered and we went into the shop floor office. They had no change order for our trailer in their stack of perhaps 75 to 100 change orders in the office.

I replied, I had a copy on my laptop. Since Airstream was running "vintage" Windows and similar age computers, we lacked a common interface, so I emailed the "pdf" to the foreman. He called me moments later to say it would be changed out overnight, and it was.

If I had not been there, the trailer would not have been built to our specifications and could have been refused when it arrived. In my opinion, the fault really came back to the salesman not following through to verify the change order was actually implemented. He had years of Airstream sales experience and multiple factory trips so knew their build procedures.

It is possible to have custom things done at Airstream using other "stock" parts, but the devil is in the details and follow through.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
everyone has a different taste and Airstream tries to provide a product that matches what we want.
You've got that right!

I ADDED a fan to my fridge rear area with a switch. I have never heard it run except when tested.

On the vents and skylights in the south. I agree; however, because I have skylights and vents I bought different covers and completely replaced all the parts on my factory skylight as mine was crumbling apart inside and out from being baked in the sun prior to my ownership. I close the horizontal shade on the skylight during afternoons. A dark trailer is a cool trailer when camping in the summer!

Plasma800, you are right. They all have merit and are nice. I REALLY like different things in most models. I love the formica in the Serenity (current model) with the shine and accent wall. I like light coloring and tan seating the best. I dislike gray and blue interiors on anything. That said, I like blue as a color like on your spread and BTW your AS looks great!

I like the 28' layout but the storage of the 27' and the new changes in the 30'. I also find most of what I actually need in the 25'.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Howard... it was a close decision between the FC and the Serenity. There aspects of the FC which we prefer to the Serenity. So, in the end, either way you go, something is given up for something else gained. Fortunately, there isn't a bad choice either way.

I like the ability of the mini blinds to block sun while still being able to see out. I'm hoping that with the full awning option, we won't feel the need to replace the pull down shades with mini blinds.

And, we're going with two recliners up front, like you did, (awesome choice for comfort, BTW) and will lose some storage there as well. We're thinking that with the 30' (and the larger mid-closet) that we will be ok with storage.

You are right, though, a lot of storage space is given up with the International and going with recliners!

Here is something you might try. Works well in our 30 wardrobes and helps with the clothing at least.
Howard

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Whoops, forgot to paste the link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ml#post1198115

Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:56 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Here is something you might try. Works well in our 30 wardrobes and helps with the clothing at least.
Howard

Howard... great idea! We certainly don't need all the clothes hanger type of storage in the 30' (each side of the bed and the hall closet), so I'm sure we will implement your storage shelving idea! Thanks very much for the info.