Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
FC 25 - 1 a/c or 2?

So I'm still learning about these machines, and I had thought that the 25 came with a single 15k A/C.

My local dealer has one, but it lists "2nd a/c installed".

Is this a factory option?

Is a second A/C needed honestly?

Does my dealer do this to trump up the MSRP? Or is this truly a good idea?

My old 40' DP had 2 a/c's, and in the balzing texas sun if you had zero shade,... it would be 80-90 INSIDE - but i also blame poor design for a lot of this. Slides are horribly inefficient. We learned in the sun you had to close the slides, you had to shut down the ducted vents in the bedroom, close the bedroom door, pull down the shades, and the front would cool - vice versa for the rear at night.

But I have no idea how well an AS holds up against the heat. Any pointers?
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The single A/C was enough in our 25', but if you stop in 100 degree weather, and hook up, it will take a couple of hours to cool it down. IMHO on a 31', you need the two A/C units in Texas.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Yeah no doubt, our travels take us all around. Last year we went to san fran, arizona, new mexico, austin, dallas, chicago, new jersey, boston, maine, vermont, Tennessee, atlanta .

We go to a lot of trade shows and expos. I think one a/c can probably handle the most of what I do. And If im camping in solid texas weather, most places I want to stay (state park) you're usually in some shade.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Much depends on your use case. I have a 30' and there are days when 2 acs still isn't enough.

- no shade
- hot day
- humid weather
- high wind
- cooking inside
- door opening and closing often (kids)
Old 05-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If you are looking at new 25s then 1 15k AC with the ducted air the norm. I think 27 and 28s can have 2 ACs with ducted air.

Sometimes when camped in hot weather the bedroom in my 25fb stays cooler than the rear living area due to the extra windows in the rear but with my street and rear window awnings out and just loafing around in shorts and a T shirt its still comfortable enough. 2 ACs running together in a 25 would be noisy and you'd have to have a 50amp system otherwise you'd run one at a time. I would think it would have to be also factory installed so they could route the drain line through the walls.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We had a single unit on our FC25RB and it worked out fine. What we did find that in very hot weather, use the two fantastic fans when you are setting up to get some airflow and help it vent out. The put on the AC. We also found when camping in hot weather, the full awning pkg was a great help deflecting a lot of the heat off the sides and back of the unit. I think a lot depends on when and where you are traveling. I was born and raised in Houston so I know your weather pretty well and now live outside of Dallas. In the summer, we head North.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Oh yeah that's right cause they will put awnings on all sides if you ask them to. Forgot about that.

Also, is the ducted A/C a 2015 thing? They didn't do that on the 2014 correct?
Old 05-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Ducted air started in 2015. Another thumbs up for the awning package. My street side awning keeps the sun off the rear living area windows and shades the fridge wall.
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
I have a 2014 25FC with one unit and live in Texas. The one Unit keeps us cool most of the time. I found out that camping in 95 to 100 deg temps and no trees to help shade the trailer was not a good thing. It was cooler inside then out but the AC never shutoff till late that night. So we now pick sites under trees with lots of shade and we are just fine. Remember that and you with just one unit will be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have a 2014 30 foot bunkhouse...15K unit in the middle, 13.5k unit over front bed area....

We have camped in pretty darn hot high 90's humid weather here last year in Alabama, and 2 AC units in our unit did the job fast...awnings deployed all the way around helps a great deal.

But most often, one AC can cut if fine.

I suspect in a 25 foot unit, two would be overall annoying in my opinion.

It would be nice to have 50amp power and all, but you have that heavy darn cord vs. the very much more light 30amp cord....

I guess if I lived in Texas....I may give it a bit more thought....

I did have once recently where the one single AC started acting weird, cut off...I think the coils froze and the system defaulted to off...my thermostat kinda went nuts for a bit, but then I could run the other AC unit while it recovered, which thankfully it did....so point of that story is a guess redundancy has its occasional perks?

I think probably you would survive just fine with one unit, two would have some perks and pains as discussed.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:38 PM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Only logical reason has to be that the previous owner used that trailer in a pretty hot climate. 15K BTU unit in a 25 ft Airstream can keep things very cool. I know someone with one and I can tell you that he doesn't have any issues regarding cooling. I always tell him that his trailer is a meat locker.....He also doesn't camp in the south either.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Cool is subjective. For us eighty with a fan is cool enough. Others need it closer to seventy. Whatever feels good to you. One thirteen five in a thirty footer is enough for us in the ninetys here in Florida. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Wow. yeah I like it cool. I'm good up to about 75, then I think I'm dying from the heat

At night though, for real, it's especially important to me. When things start to get stuffy, i get anxious, weird I know, but...

So maybe the trick is it's better to have and not need than...... However, I was really looking forward to that lovely light 30amp cord.

So if a unit has two ac/s, you can control them apart from one another? In my bus you could turn on one or both, they were "zoned"
Old 05-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
We had a 25' FC and the single A/C in the desert southwest in the summer just didn't quite cut it. It would be cool in the front, but our rear bedroom was not that comfortable - say high 70's on some nights. This is one of the main reasons we upgraded to a 2015 with 2 A/C's and ducted air. We are heading to the desert southwest next month to give it a real test in Nevada and Utah.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I think you just settled this for me
Old 05-14-2015, 05:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The use of a fan can equalize the temps in a trailer. Here in Gainesville, Florida if you keep your house at 74 degrees in summer, you are paying a fortune fir electric. We pay the highest rates in the state. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:17 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I prefer 1 A/C layout.
Only once do I remember it (15k Btu) being inadequate; and that was because the CG power went down in the middle of the afternoon, and the trailer heated up. It was near Arches NP, and the sun and heat was too much for the A/C to cool it back down.

When boondocking, it's nice having a Fantastic Fan in the bedroom- they're surprisingly effective keeping the trailer cool.

Plus, you get better daylighting.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:27 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
Did you see the 2 units in the 25, maybe it was a typo error
CaptMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Comfort Package
2nd A/C Install
Convection Micorwave W/3 Burner Cooktop
InverterInstall
Cashew Uleather

Didn't "see" it, can't tell from the photo either. Have to go look again.

Ya know there is only 1 dealer in ALLL of Houston, which is insane, and they also happen to just be some high dollar thinking folks....
Old 05-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Where is the second A/C installed? Over the bedroom, cause from the photos it looks like there is a fantastic fan over the bed...