Old 05-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We had the 50 amp service and second air conditioner factory installed. One can buy adapters and only use a 30 amp cord as well. But there is a big trade off in function.

The 50 amp service provides two legs of 50 amps of power, or 6,000 watts per leg.

The 30 amp service provides one leg with 30 amps of power or 3,600 watts. In most cases, if the air conditioner is running on 30 amp service, one needs to switch both the refrigerator and the water heater to use propane only to have some power for lights and tv. Adding a hairdryer to the air conditioner load could cause the main breaker to pop.

There is also an adapter for the 50 amp cable that has two 30 amp male plugs. With an additional adapter from 30 amp female to 20 amp male, one can plug into a pedestal that supports only 30 amp service and a standard house outlet. That would support both air conditioners if the trailer wiring was tweaked and load balanced so each air conditioner was on a different leg.

Just something else to think about.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi Switz. Thanks for that information, and I have to say, it is the first I'm hearing of the issue, and it is pretty concerning to me.

We live and camp in Florida. I have a 2 AC 50 amp unit on order arriving soon. If I understand your post, when at a 30 amp-only site (which is a lot of the time), to run an AC I will need to take the fridge off electric - is that right? Does it make a difference if I use the 15 or 13.5 btu unit?

This is disappointing, because I was under the impression that with 50 amps and using adapters, we would be well covered for any situation.
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 05-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We had the 50 amp service and second air conditioner factory installed. One can buy adapters and only use a 30 amp cord as well. But there is a big trade off in function.

The 50 amp service provides two legs of 50 amps of power, or 6,000 watts per leg.

The 30 amp service provides one leg with 30 amps of power or 3,600 watts. In most cases, if the air conditioner is running on 30 amp service, one needs to switch both the refrigerator and the water heater to use propane only to have some power for lights and tv. Adding a hairdryer to the air conditioner load could cause the main breaker to pop.

There is also an adapter for the 50 amp cable that has two 30 amp male plugs. With an additional adapter from 30 amp female to 20 amp male, one can plug into a pedestal that supports only 30 amp service and a standard house outlet. That would support both air conditioners if the trailer wiring was tweaked and load balanced so each air conditioner was on a different leg.

Just something else to think about.

I would think that 30 amp service would be plenty of power to run the fridge, lights, and at least one AC anytime, day or night. You might not be able to run the microwave at the same time as the AC or operate the second AC at the same time, but I think everything else should run ok.

There are lots and lots of state parks with only 30 amp service. And in our bus on 30 amp, we could run everything but the second AC.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
On my 2008 25fb Classic (1 AC) I can run the AC and microwave with lights but if the hot water heater is on electric the 30 amp main breaker will pop if the microwave is run more than a few minutes. I usually run the hot water heater on propane until after all the cooking is done then switch it to electric before going to bed.

I also moved the AC circuit away from next to the main breaker which is a dual 30/20 amp breaker. Just a matter of swapping wires between a less used circuit.

A also replaced the 30/20 dual breaker with a new one since the original one had popped a bunch of times getting used to the AS the first year I owned it.

Kelvin
Old 05-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That's the reason why I will always have a 50 amp trailer. Our first trailer was a 30 amp trailer. We had to turn off the a/c to run the microwave or my wife's hair dryer- I ain't got no hair-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
That's the reason why I will always have a 50 amp trailer. Our first trailer was a 30 amp trailer. We had to turn off the a/c to run the microwave or my wife's hair dryer- I ain't got no hair-

Old 05-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I would not call 30amp power "plenty"...15k AC unit...I forget running amps it takes...cannot recall...but maybe 7 or 8? then the spikes from the going off and on may kick you to what? 15-18 amps?

Ill do a test this weekend as we are doing a quick weekend trip...Ill use my meter and check the amps used with only the center AC running, all lights, fridge and hot water on electric, and perhaps a TV running with surround sound and report back. Probably someone on here can already say how many amps that is.

This would include some bit of amperage for some background stuff too...like the converter running and such?

I am now unclear though...does your getting the second AC mean no fantastic fan?

PharmGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
For me, all of these factors mentioned, taken together, form a very compelling argument for spending a little more money at the outset to upgrade to 50amp service and two AC units, even in a 25' Airstream.

We spend a good bit of time in warm/hot climates and with our 43' motorhome (which had 3 AC units) we really enjoyed the ability to run the bedroom AC unit while we were up front and run the front AC unit when we were in back sleeping... kept the temps very comfortable and we did not often need to have a running AC unit over our heads.

For a short while, we were camping in 100+ degree temps (not something we would normally do). At that time we had one of the three AC units fail and we were very glad it was not our only AC unit... redundancy in important things is really smart if you can afford it.

With an Airstream, 50amp service and two AC units is a must in my view, particularly since we may spend many weeks or a couple of months at a time traveling in the trailer and having the extra power available when hooked up to 50amp service (minimizing the need to use propane), along with a back-up AC unit, if needed during high temps or failure of an AC unit, means a lot to us.

As mentioned above, those with low TV carrying capacity do need to consider the weight limits imposed by that.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Doesn't the new Airstreams with 2 ACs come with 50 amp service? Having 2 ACs with 30 amp doesn't make sense to me.

Kelvin
Old 05-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Doesn't the new Airstreams with 2 ACs come with 50 amp service?
Yes, they do.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I would not call 30amp power "plenty"...15k AC unit...I forget running amps it takes...cannot recall...but maybe 7 or 8? then the spikes from the going off and on may kick you to what? 15-18 amps?

Ill do a test this weekend as we are doing a quick weekend trip...Ill use my meter and check the amps used with only the center AC running, all lights, fridge and hot water on electric, and perhaps a TV running with surround sound and report back. Probably someone on here can already say how many amps that is.

This would include some bit of amperage for some background stuff too...like the converter running and such?

I am now unclear though...does your getting the second AC mean no fantastic fan?
I would say that's about right... I forgot this is a 15k unit. I think when they install two, the second one might be a 13.5. My bus had two 13.5's so that might have been why i had no issues running 30 amps and one a/c. I could watch on the control panel and with the a/c running and everything I wanted inside on (cept for the microwave) it would pull something like 25 to 29 amps. So to run the microwave, you would need to shut the a/c down, operate it, then turn the a/c back on. It was never an issue. What I mean to say though is that 30 amps should be plenty to turn on a single A/C while the lights and tv are on and you're charging your phones and a laptop, fridge on electric..
Old 05-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
For me, all of these factors mentioned, taken together, form a very compelling argument for spending a little more money at the outset to upgrade to 50amp service and two AC units, even in a 25' Airstream.

We spend a good bit of time in warm/hot climates and with our 43' motorhome (which had 3 AC units) we really enjoyed the ability to run the bedroom AC unit while we were up front and run the front AC unit when we were in back sleeping... kept the temps very comfortable and we did not often need to have a running AC unit over our heads.

For a short while, we were camping in 100+ degree temps (not something we would normally do). At that time we had one of the three AC units fail and we were very glad it was not our only AC unit... redundancy in important things is really smart if you can afford it.

With an Airstream, 50amp service and two AC units is a must in my view, particularly since we may spend many weeks or a couple of months at a time traveling in the trailer and having the extra power available when hooked up to 50amp service (minimizing the need to use propane), along with a back-up AC unit, if needed during high temps or failure of an AC unit, means a lot to us.

As mentioned above, those with low TV carrying capacity do need to consider the weight limits imposed by that.

Agreed!
Old 05-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Don't let the dealer install. Only purchase duall air if factory.

If only one AC from factory the AS will only have 30 amp service.

Kelvin
Old 05-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Some have retrofitted a second air conditioner and basically have an extension cord to plug that unit into the RV park pedestal or a generator set. Getting the drain hose down through the walls requires cutting the interior wall as there are horizontal supports in the wall that block pulling wires or tubing.

With 30 amp service, the additional reason the refrigerator and water heater are dual power (propane or 120Vac electricity for power plus a little 12Vdc for control circuits) is so they can be running on propane when the air conditioner is in use along with small electrical loads in the trailer.

Our Classic has a rear (zone 2) 13,500 BTU air conditioner in place of the Fantastic Fan and a 15,000 BTU primary air conditioner in front (zone 1). The factory installs a thermostat that controls both zones with a separate temperature sensor in the rear.

Using the standard 50 amp to 30 amp power plug conversion, both buses in the trailer are energized so all circuits can have access to power with great attention to what is on when. Thus with only 30 amp RV park service capability, one can run either the front or the rear air conditioner or none if the microwave is needed.

The trailer main 30 amp breaker limits power access to 30 amps since the wiring is only #10 gage. 50 amp service requires #6 gage wire to the main circuit two pole breaker.

We just converted the factory tank style 6 gallon water heater to a Truma instant on unit that uses a little 12 Vdc for the control circuit and uses only propane to heat the water on demand.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote