Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
FC 20' Fresh Water Tank Heat Pad Switch Not Working

We tried our tank heat pads for first time last night and grey tank switch worked but fresh water tank heat pad switch did not light up when connected to 30 amp shore power. No useful info in manual....FC 20' FB is 2014. Furnace set to 60° and not below freezing last night but need help to trouble shoot as we expect periodic freezing in NM and AZ.
Thanks,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The heaters are 12volt, so maybe check the 12v fuses.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have only tried mine on my 2014 20' FC a couple of times so I am not at all sure of this answer, but I think there is a thermostat in series with the switch and it will not turn on until the temp at the thermostat falls below it's set point. On my limited testing I recall the lights not coming on at some temps.

I don't know what the set points are or exactly where the thermostats are located, but just thinking now, if the water tank is full there is a lot of thermal mass in it, and it might take a lot longer before the tank is cool enough to allow the heat pad to run.
The gray water tank, which may be empty and cool off faster may allow the heat pad to come on.

Please understand that I am speculating here. But you may not have a problem at all, just it is not cold enough to allow the water tank heater to operate.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
On my '07 20', the light always came on if you flipped the switch, regardless of ambient temperature. Certainly could be different on a '14.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the input! We were able to reach service tech at Colonial whom offered several suggestions. We were " on the road" today with 57° and above freezing tonight. Plan to arrive in warm sunny AZ tomorrow. But we will be sure to recheck fuses, switch out toggle switch with grey water one to assess if LED is just out. There is no easy way to check to see if the fresh water tank warmer pad is actually working. We just want to be prepared for the inevitably temp drops as we travel around desert country. We are likely to proceed very cautiously as we camped in our FC for past 10/12 days still winterized. Appreciate your input and will post outcome when we know the issue.
Kind regards,
FCloud9
Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Anyone know how to pull the rocker switches out to work on them? I'm not sure how they are held into the wall and would rather know what I am doing instead of guessing? Do they pry out or what?

Ditto on the MicroPulse tank gauge panel gizmo--no clue how to access the backside wiring...before it breaks. 😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You could pull the fuse for the heaters and measure the current draw with an ammeter when the switch was turned on and off.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:03 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Thanks for the input! We were able to reach service tech at Colonial whom offered several suggestions. We were " on the road" today with 57° and above freezing tonight. Plan to arrive in warm sunny AZ tomorrow. But we will be sure to recheck fuses, switch out toggle switch with grey water one to assess if LED is just out. There is no easy way to check to see if the fresh water tank warmer pad is actually working. We just want to be prepared for the inevitably temp drops as we travel around desert country. We are likely to proceed very cautiously as we camped in our FC for past 10/12 days still winterized. Appreciate your input and will post outcome when we know the issue.
Kind regards,
FCloud9

F-cloud - we met on the 20 footer thread. We are also on the road to AZ from PA. Hate to see you be so cautious that you don't enjoy your Stream -- tough to stay winterized for so long. For what it's worth, we've made numerous trips this time of year. Generally head due south from PA (usually to the Carolinas) and dewinterize that first night on the road. The key for us has been to have full hookups and to allow the interior of the Stream to completely warm up. I.e. Give time for the wood to absorb heat. Some think it bad, but we travel with the furnace on and set at 50. On especially cold nights we leave the cupboars doors and bath door open for circulation. FYI our first year from PA we traveled west to Iowa before traveling south (dumb) - we woke up to 6" of snow on the camper and 2 degrees! No freeze prob except for us of course. Don't worry too much and enjoy. But be flexible. All these ideas work, until they don't 😁.
Ty Trainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We have been de-winterized since Big Bend National Park. Really enjoying our time in AZ! The tank heaters & switches are working just fine w/o any explanation for why the switch light did not work first try. Fortunately since our arrival in AZ...we have not had temps below freezing!