Old 10-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Based on your comments I recommend you go look in person at the 22 and the 23 prior to purchase.

The 22 bed is longer than the 23. The actual trailer is narrower than any other airstream.

The 23 offers a nicer trim level and more storage

23 has much much better water tank (fresh and waste) capacity, which would put it as my #1 recommendation for you for boondocks camping. It also has a low tongue weight due to its layout.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Based on your comments I recommend you go look in person at the 22 and the 23 prior to purchase.

The 22 bed is longer than the 23. The actual trailer is narrower than any other airstream.

The 23 offers a nicer trim level and more storage

23 has much much better water tank (fresh and waste) capacity, which would put it as my #1 recommendation for you for boondocks camping. It also has a low tongue weight due to its layout.

The 20 and the 23 have the same size bed unless you're talking the 23FB.

We are of the same mind as the OP and we've been to plenty of sites in our 20 that the 23 - and I LOVE both the 23FB and the 25s - could not get into. We chose our rig based on our camping preferences. I wish the bed in our 20 was larger, but we manage to sleep well in 48" of width.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Yes I was talking about the 23 FB. (Front bed). With good water capacity and low tongue weight.

Piggy Bank
Old 10-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
kfo4173: In an earlier post on this thread I made a case for considering that smaller might have some advantages over larger. However, I missed that you are considering "a full-time rig".

With that in mind, add my voice to those suggesting you look at the 23FB. A little more elbow room, and a lot more storage.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:52 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waitsfield , Vermont
Send a message via AIM to Vermontmary
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfo4173 View Post
Did you find that the 23' felt or looked significantly longer than the 20'? Did it prevent you from getting into sites that you previously could access on the 20'?
We haven't owned a 23", but friends did, and the size was great for them (until they decided to move up to a 25" to accommodate grandkids)! We camped with them and it quite a few times, and they had no trouble popping in and out of sites.
As for looking bigger than the 20"-- it has two axles, so that's different, but otherwise it doesn't look especially large. I suggest that you check one out "in person" and see how it fits!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Yes I was talking about the 23 FB. (Front bed). With good water capacity and low tongue weight.

Great trailer, especially with International decor!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Malibu , California
Thanks all for the replies. I've seen a 23' in person and it sure looks a lot bigger than say the 19'-the 'feel' of it is important even if I'll usually be at sites that can accommodate the 23.

I'm surprised at my inability to find anyone with a modern trailer who has converted the bed in a 19 or 20 to something larger. If this could be done, we would still consider it-not too concerned about how it would change the value of the trailer for others. It sounds like moving the dinette would involve moving the water heater and make the conversion bed unusable. I still wonder, negatives aside, if this would be terribly difficult or expensive for an expert carpenter...
Old 10-14-2015, 06:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Do remember that the physics of the airstream when towing are engineered to be optimal by the factory engineering team. That the trailer's center of gravity, front to back weight distribution, tongue weight, weight left to right, these are all factored into where things ARE in the trailers. Weight of storage compartments, and fluids aboard are also factored in.

Then there is the structural flex and support offered by different affixed items. This is one reason to reconsider altering these in any significant manner. There may be unforeseen flex or twisting forces that the trailer would be subject to if the framework is altered in a manner that removes some important support or stiffness, or room to flex that is in place.

Piggy Bank
Old 10-14-2015, 07:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good points Piggy Bank. Note that any movement of the streetside partition aft, which helps support the bed, takes it off the shell vertical support rib, moves it back where the water heater and access door sits on the bottom section, and the side window opening is on the upper section.

There is no support for the partition or bed aft of its designed position streetside, and a similar situation curbside. Structurally, it's just not a good idea. Aesthetically, moving the partition and dinette aft to block part of the side window is not good.

Take another look at the 23's, there are two completely different configurations to choose from, front bed or rear bed. One has a dinette in the center of the trailer, the other has a dinette in front under the big pano windows plus some additional living space.

You will never notice the difference towing a 20 or 23 on the road, there's only a minor difference in length, and the 23 has the advantages of two axles (more brakes, less weight per tire, more stable on the road, easier to back up, and if a flat you can remove the flat and proceed on the other tire many, many miles until it's convenient to get it fixed).

On the other hand, I'll say again we never had a problem sleeping in the bed of our 20'.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Malibu , California
Thanks dkottum-appreciate it and all these comments make sense.

I'm considering instead a mod of the 19'. I believe if possible, it would only involve one removal-the rear sink-and rearrange the shower and toilet. Obviously still a major mod, but I believe structurally I wouldn't be compromising as much.

Any ideas? I started a new thread-really keen to see if this is possible.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...le-142421.html

Cheers everyone, much appreciated!!
Old 12-22-2015, 02:48 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
We just sold our 2010 FC20 and moved to a 2016 FC25 FB twin. When we slept in the 20 it was a PITA to climb over each other or just move to the side at 2:00 in the morning!

Through the last year we owned our 20 we slept head to toe, really didn't realize the other was there through the night. It worked pretty well. On cold nights I would keep her feet covered up and visa versa. the head to toe worked out pretty good. Tip: a body pillow against the aluminum wall ends the cold.

But alas, we moved to the 25 (we pick it up on Wednesday 12/23). I was convinced we needed a FB w/the queen but when we looked at the 25 FB twin, it just makes so much sense with storage room and the mid isle to dress, etc.. The 23Fb with twins would be attractive but we still didn't like the dinette.

Nothing's perfect, one of life's lessons learned
Old 12-22-2015, 05:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Good points Terry. Next summer will be our first full-scale model for the move to our FC20 from a 25' with rear corner bed. Hopefully our tow vehicle's extra bed and light cooking set-up, plus the campgrounds' outdoor cooking/dining "space," will prove to be an acceptable compromise after many years of being trailer-less. The convenience of a smaller trailer is great.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:24 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
We just sold our 2010 FC20 and moved to a 2016 FC25 FB twin. When we slept in the 20 it was a PITA to climb over each other or just move to the side at 2:00 in the morning!

Through the last year we owned our 20 we slept head to toe, really didn't realize the other was there through the night. It worked pretty well. On cold nights I would keep her feet covered up and visa versa. the head to toe worked out pretty good. Tip: a body pillow against the aluminum wall ends the cold.

But alas, we moved to the 25 (we pick it up on Wednesday 12/23). I was convinced we needed a FB w/the queen but when we looked at the 25 FB twin, it just makes so much sense with storage room and the mid isle to dress, etc.. The 23Fb with twins would be attractive but we still didn't like the dinette.

Nothing's perfect, one of life's lessons learned
That's our exact story also.