Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Lafayette , Louisiana
Electric jack

My electric jack on our flying cloud trailer stopped working. I think it is the a bad switch. Has anyone had a similar problems? Not sure if I should start replacing the switch or just replace the entire power jack?
Jim Keaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Electric jack

I would start with checking the fuse. Then the ground connections. WD40 the switches.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Lafayette , Louisiana
Is the only fuse the in line fuse?
Jim Keaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Yes it should be right on the outside.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
I had same problem on my barker 3000 Jack for 2014 FC this week. Bought new switch on Zoro.
https://www.zoro.com/power-first-tog...z9/i/G3457781/
$7.00 plus $5 for shipping so cheap I bought spare as well. Ordered on Thursday much to my surprise it arrived on Friday. Installed yesterday afternoon. It was an exact fit. Problem solved

If its not the fuse you can remove the switch and check with a meter or I removed fuse removed and alligator clipped and electrical taped the appropriate lugs together then reinstalled fuse . First the up ones then the down ones. The jack worked fine in both directions so I knew the switch was bad. Please BE CAREFUL if you try the hard wire test method..... get the connections right or as the song goes "smoke get in your eyes". If your not sure you want to do this $13 for a new switch is a cheap way to see if the jack is bad.

Wish I could take credit for the find but I got the tip from another thread on the same topic.

Cheers
Benn
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Jack

On late model Flying Clouds, the jack is an Attwood.
It has one lead that runs to the battery box positive, and that line has a fuse. I'd check that first.
Then, the ground uses the frame. Make sure the jack screws are nice and tight and the connection is clean. Sometimes there's a star washer to dig into the paint.
I'd back off one of the screws, make sure it's clean and tighten well.
There's always the possibility it just died.
You might want to trouble shoot by taking a piece of wire from a screw to the negative terminal of the battery.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote