Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
the woodlands , Texas
Drop on 2017 FB 25 foot

I am hoping someone is lucky enough to be in or near their 2017 front bedroom 25 foot and can measure the height to the top of the coupler when the trailer is level so I know the drop to order my hitch. I don't have my baby yet. I am thinking of the Blue Ox SwayPro for 1000 tongue weight. Good choice? Please also measure 29 inches back from the center of the ball coupler. Is there any interference for the lip of the rotating latches to fit over the Aframe an 2 or so inches on either side of the 29 mark? Anybody have any installation experience with this hitch? Thank you so much. I can always depend on this community for help!!
Leslieotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I have the same trailer and hitch. TV is a 2014 F150 4x4. Top of coupler is sitting at 22" right now in the driveway, though I know it's not perfectly level.

I have the 7 hole and can see 2 holes above the mounted hitch.

Part of the equation will be your tow vehicle. My f150 probably squats more than a 1 ton would under similar load, so keep that in mind.

Good luck,
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Aren't all the current trailers listed in the specs as having a 17 3/4" tongue height?
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
the woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
I have the same trailer and hitch. TV is a 2014 F150 4x4. Top of coupler is sitting at 22" right now in the driveway, though I know it's not perfectly level.

I have the 7 hole and can see 2 holes above the mounted hitch.

Part of the equation will be your tow vehicle. My f150 probably squats more than a 1 ton would under similar load, so keep that in mind.

Good luck,

Thanks so much. Did you have any trouble attaching the clamp on to the A frame? ( interference from battery box or propane tank cover).
Old 11-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
I think Sea is right, Airstream figures about 18" (measured to inside of top of coupler) for hitch ball height.

We have a 27fb (I would guess same tongue length), and started with a Blue Ox that I installed when we bought the coach. No interference that I experienced with clamp-on BO brackets. Later went to a ProPride, and I still use the BO on a cargo trailer.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslieotr View Post
I am hoping someone is lucky enough to be in or near their 2017 front bedroom 25 foot and can measure the height to the top of the coupler when the trailer is level so I know the drop to order my hitch. I don't have my baby yet. I am thinking of the Blue Ox SwayPro for 1000 tongue weight. Good choice? Please also measure 29 inches back from the center of the ball coupler. Is there any interference for the lip of the rotating latches to fit over the Aframe an 2 or so inches on either side of the 29 mark? Anybody have any installation experience with this hitch? Thank you so much. I can always depend on this community for help!!
Not sure your tow vehicle? Blue-Ox SwayPro with 1000 pound is what I have with my 25' FB Twin and F-150. For us, this combination works well. We had AS dealer set it up and there were no clearance issues with standard package from Blue Ox.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
the woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
I think Sea is right, Airstream figures about 18" (measured to inside of top of coupler) for hitch ball height.

We have a 27fb (I would guess same tongue length), and started with a Blue Ox that I installed when we bought the coach. No interference that I experienced with clamp-on BO brackets. Later went to a ProPride, and I still use the BO on a cargo trailer.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Thanks, it does help. Why did you go to a ProPride? Wondering if I really need that much hitch?
Old 11-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
This question has been asked many times on the Forum. Need? I have a local friend who rolled his 23 because of sway with a Reese hitch. He will never roll his new 23 due to sway because now he has a ProPride. I never considered anything other than a ProPride because I wanted the peace of mind. How much is that worth? Not quite priceless, but a bunch.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #9
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Leslieotr-

As lsbrodsky stated above, the question has been answered many times on AirForums, and I suggest reading several PPP (pivot point projection) hitch threads for your own research. To circle back and answer your question, why did we go to a ProPride? It is simply better towing. Period. I realize that sounds silly, like a commercial, but it's my experience on two rigs years apart...........

We have experience back in time with a much heavier trailer, towed with a 2500 Duramax, with a Hensley, and it towed like it was welded together. I knew someday we would go back to a PPP hitch when I put the Blue Ox on our Pete, but it was good enough to get us back towing, coming from a motorhome/toad combo in late 2013. Honestly, I found a deal on a used ProPride, and that put us back in a PPP hitch sooner. However, I was ready to buy a new ProPride or a new Hensley. I like the Blue Ox, and kept it in service on a cargo trailer where it does a fine job.

The Blue Ox was plenty capable at weight distribution and sway control with our 1/2 ton and Flying Cloud 27fb, but I didn't like always having to correct that bow wave push from a passing semi or box truck on the interstate, and the corresponding pull back when he blew by us. We have none of that with the PPP hitch(es) we have had. With our current combo I can seriously hold the wheel with two fingers on each side and laugh as semis roll past me with no shimmy nor wiggle nor bow wave effect. (of course I don't drive with only two fingers on the wheel) The PPP hitches are incredible, and until you have towed a rig with one properly dialed in (especially on an Airstream with their superior towing dynamics by design), you can only dream about a "relaxing" towing experience. Flame suit on!

Seriously though, please study hitches and proper setup. Most of them can be setup properly for safe, effective towing. And yet even the very expensive ones cannot overcome improper setup, tow vehicle inadequacies, payload shortcomings, nor untrained/unsafe towing drivers......... If you are spending Airstream money, don't cheap out on a hitch until you have at least researched the topic thoroughly.

Hope this helps.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:23 PM   #10
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
17 3/4 inches.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
My FC25FB, with the trailer perfectly level--20 inches to the top of the hitch.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote