Old 12-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #85
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7our View Post
Interesting thread...I've kept up with all the posts as we are still considering a new AS. Not very confident it will happen but some appropriate media attention on the most common deficits (pictures, descriptions, video, etc.) would probably get some of these issues addressed. Why is this part missing??? For the $$ these trailers cost, I absolutely expect more from an AS over other options. I do NOT expect to have to find major defects and report them post delivery. I expect my dealer to deliver a unit that has been properly inspected to "their" own set of standards. It seems dealer standards also are not where they need to be in many/most? instances. What we're seeing is completely under Mr. Wheeler's control to fix if he wants to. Same goes for dealers failing to follow through. Are profit margins so slim that AS cannot provide greater QC on these units???
I know it is disappointing at times, but our entire economic system is built on "supply and demand". Under our system there is no such thing as "Too much profit margin". The whole point of making and selling things is maximizing profit margin while keeping sales volume high. With an item like an travel trailer, the idea is to make and sell as many as possible at the highest possible profit margin.

Right now they cannot make enough to meet the demand. So you can bet that until the supply goes up or the demand goes down, nothing will be done that will cut into the profit margin. That would be extremely bad business. If the trend of rising popularity continues, the prices will rise, and there will still be a definite desire to cut production costs. This is all a delicate process with the ultimate goal always being to make the most money as possible. In the current situation it would be of no value to make customers happier when there are already a surplus of customers. That's just good business sense. When the demand starts to go down and/or supply starts to go up, that is when to expect changes to be made that please more customers.

So it the mean time saying we want better quality has no value, because we have no leverage.

Ken

Old 12-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #86
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
I spent months looking at Airstreams before settling on an SOB. I sat in many Airstreams with obvious water leaks (streaks running down windows, etc) that had been on the dealers lot for months. This is in the Pacific Northwest where rain is a daily occurrence most of the year. I wonder how much damage is done while these trailers sit on the lot month after month unfixed?

Old 12-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mineral Bluff , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
That's true. Could you post or PM me a link where I could see the model trailer you have?

Thanks,

Ken
Sure.

Camplite 21bhs Automotive Travel Trailer Overview | Livin' Lite RV

Recent camping trip:

Again, absolutely have a "thing" for AirStreams, and we were welcomed at last year's SpringStream in spite of our SOB status.

Put an Airstream on an aluminum frame with an aluminum floor and improve quality control, and we might very well consider one going forward.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #88

[QUOTE=FastEddieB;1559579]Sure.

Camplite 21bhs Automotive Travel Trailer Overview | Livin' Lite RV

QUOTE]

Thanks.

I like the fact that the model number reflects the length of the box. If everyone did that, it would be a lot easier to compare different trailers.

Ken
Old 12-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #89
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mineral Bluff , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post

Thanks.

I like the fact that the model number reflects the length of the box. If everyone did that, it would be a lot easier to compare different trailers.

Ken
True.

I think our 21' would be called a 24' by a lot of companies.

As such, our loaded weight of about 4,500 lbs sounds better.

Does Airstream use the total length in their model numbers?
Old 12-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB View Post
True.

I think our 21' would be called a 24' by a lot of companies.

As such, our loaded weight of about 4,500 lbs sounds better.

Does Airstream use the total length in their model numbers?
It seems to me that they get close to it. However in at least 2010. both the classic 30 and classic 31 are 30' 8".

Ken
Old 12-28-2014, 07:26 PM   #91
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Does good to look your new 2015 over!

The International 27FB at 28' total length is actually one inch longer than the International 28(RB) at 27' 11". So, it's close but still confusing.

Oh, and if Camplite made something like a 28RBS, that might be interesting...but I'd miss my wrap-around windows front and back. <sigh>

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #92

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've bought 2 Airstreams new from my local dealer. I consider his pre delivery prep excellent. In both cases my new trailer had all systems tested prior to my arrival. In both cases the trailers were set up in full hookup sites and we were invited to spend the night at the dealership prior to committing ourselves to the final paper work which was done the following morning. Both trailers exhibited the same problem with a leak around the shower door. I found that when showering in the morning.

I brought the Safari back due to concerns over the air conditioner performance in 100 degree weather. I also had the microwave door repaired about 6 months into ownership. I had a short in the electric hitch after six months of ownership which led to its replacement under warranty.

The Classic went back with concerns about the slide out drawers not staying closed (this ends up being a poor design issue), and a recall due to some trailers being built without proper bearing lubrication. The water pump check valve failed about a year into warranty which required the pump to be replaced.

So other than the shower issues, the trailers had all systems checked out prior to delivery. I was offered a night of camping prior to paying for the trailer and signing the paperwork. Both trailers were Walbernized prior to delivery and the dealer test drove my tow vehicle with the trailer attached to verify that the brakes were operational and the hitching system was properly set up.

What the dealer can't do is predict what things will fail during those first 24 months of ownership and in my case the only thing they could have done better was to check out the shower for leaks and most likely that would have taken a person to actually take a shower to really hit all the areas of the shower compartment properly.

Bottom line my dealership did go over our trailer prior to delivery and was proactive in testing all the systems to verify proper operation. In the case of my Classic I took delivery the week prior to Thanksgiving. He had the trailer ready filled with water, heat on ready for me to spend the night. When I left for home he had the unit winterized.

His delivery prep guy is aware of the problems with new trailers and both the owner and the prep guy have gone to Jackson Center to let the management folks know what problems they encounter on a frequent basis with the new trailers.

Letting the customers find the problems is not good business for most dealers since it reflects both on them and Airstream. My dealership makes the effort to make sure that when we pull away, our new trailer is as perfect as it can be along with the confidence that a new owner isn't obligated to sign on the bottom line until they've spent that first night using it.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB View Post
Single data point but the apparent lack of quality control, and quality, cost them at least one potential buyer - me*.

I did not relish the thought or spending $60k plus on a new Airstream, only to have to deal with filiform corrosion, leaks and possibly rotted floors in only 5 years - or less. Or to spend countless hours and miles back and forth to dealers for warranty work.

If they're selling like hotcakes, that's great.

If I were buying one, I'd look for a lightly used late model that had (hopefully) had all the kinks worked out by the first owner.

But, again, its great they're selling well. Adds to the pool of used ones and keeps prices down!

And at the upcoming RV show in Tampa we will likely be drooling all over the ones they have on display. That hopefully have been gone over for obvious defects!

*Well, with my CampLite I'm still in the Thor family, anyway!
Glad that you keep coming back to (at least look at) AS - even with the filiform corrosion ... however IMHO the prices are anything but down for used ones. In fact, AS prices used are higher than most other brands.

FastE - Your camplite looks very nice - similar outer silhouette to a Lightweight Surveyor which we owned. I hope that you don't experience any of the issues which are common to all TTs. But, at least you will have the satisfaction of not spending so much for an AS. The question is ... why do you (or did we)keep comparing and coming back to AS? We did the same, but finally voted with our check book (actually three times, now) for a new AS.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
First trip and more issues!!

First time we used the heater it filled the trailer with smoke. I asked the Dealer twice to make sure they ran the heater for a full day to burn and outgas and was told it had been done for sure. We needed to open both roof vents with the fan on one pulling the smoke out of the trailer for two nights in a row.

The DVD player would not play to the dinning room TV. Took it all apart and found that the splitter is wired correctly but just defective. It is nothing but a jumble of unmarked wires and cables. Finally by process of elimination I determined which HDMI cable went to the dining room TV and plugged it directly to the DVD player. I also noticed that the DVD player had no audio cables going to the stereo head unit so no sound through the speakers. It is very obvious the factory nor dealer actually tested the DVD functionality at all.

Checked the tank levels and grey shows 100% full when we have not even taken a shower in it yet. Went out and drained what little was in there and it went right to zero. My 2012 was miss wired and not calibrated from the factory and this one is obviously the same.

As mentioned above I would never buy another without living in it for a couple of days and going through every possible system and aspect of the trailer. This for a 90k product.

Boy am I just stupid for not going through everything with a fine tooth comb.

I am going to schedule a dealer visit for when we get back. I am determined to have the dealer correct every little thing even if I redo it later. I am pissed that Airstream just gets away with it.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #95
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Sounds like a good outfit - who are they?
Thanks
Old 01-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #96
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito98103 View Post
Sounds like a good outfit - who are they?
Thanks

Thor Industries Airstream Division

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD 4WD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab Short Bed, Huper Optik, Bull Dog Spray In, Roll-N-Lock, Full Amsoil, Denali SoundBomb, Yakima
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #97
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Jack Canavera...... now that's a good dealer.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #98
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks to all you 'new owners' who are working through these 'high quality' issues... the next caretakers of your AS will appreciate your efforts.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote