Old 12-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Wondering when I should have all of the interior molding strips in the cubby holes replaced on my new 2015. Most all of the corners look like this. Where the molding strips meet are buckled. I guess sooner than later in case it just does the same thing again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cubby hole interior molding 3.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	229274  

Old 12-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The trim looks to be shrinking, is it vinyl? Was it cold inside the Airstream when you took the picture, does it return to normal when warm?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #59
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Shrinking, stretching, cold or hot, what matters..... it looks shoddy. No excuse. WWWS...

Bob
Old 12-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Oh, I thought he wanted to fix it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #61
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
I'd have that moulding on my list of stuff for the dealer to fix, that's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:55 PM   #62
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
I'd have that moulding on my list of stuff for the dealer to fix, that's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
If it were mine I'd be looking for a higher quality molding and fixing it myself. My experience with several RVs:
Warranty or not, unless less it's something technical, you'll have it done better, quicker, and with less trouble, if you fix it yourself.

Ken
Old 12-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I guess I have been fortunate so far. I bought a 2015 Serenity 27FB and picked it up in October. So far no issues that I can see. I have been trying to find issues that I have seen discussed online but so far nothing.
We love our trailer but haven't been able to use it much yet. Currently it is snowed in.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:38 AM   #64
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
If it were mine I'd be looking for a higher quality molding and fixing it myself. My experience with several RVs:
Warranty or not, unless less it's something technical, you'll have it done better, quicker, and with less trouble, if you fix it yourself.

Ken

^
X2

Things have gotten a little better since we got ours, haven't they?

Originally posted 2006....

A LITTLE HISTORY….. MY WIFE SANDRA AND I HAVE BEEN STREAMING SINCE 1989. OUR FIRST WAS A 1963 22 FT. SAFARI. (kind of wish now it was still sitting on the pad) WE PURCHASED OUR 2003 25' CLASSIC IN JUNE OF 2004. BUILD DATE FEB. O3. NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF.....

ITEMS NOTED BEFORE TAKING DELIVERY THAT WERE FIXED BY THE DEALER.

1) BOTH FRONT SEGMENT PROTECTORS SCRATCHED AND DENTED.

2) REAR BUMPER COVERS CRACKED.

3) ACCESS DOOR UNDER BATHROOM SINK WOULD NOT OPEN, REPAIRED BUT SIEZED SOLID AGAIN BY THE TIME WE GOT HOME FROM THE DEALER.

4) PANTRY SLIDE-OUT OFF BOTH TRACKS, REPAIRED BUT FAILED AGAIN WHEN LOADED ON OUR FIRST TRIP. Took pantry out, removed slide tracks, removed all ball bearings and divided equally between tracks, AS sent replacement tracks, holding as spares until needed.

NOW FOR THE Q/C AND PDI STUFF... IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT ALL CONCERNS LISTED WERE REPAIRED BY MYSELF. THE SELLING DEALER HAD CLOSED.

1) THREE OF THE CLEARANCE LIGHT BULBS.

2) TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENT LIGHT BULBS.

3) TWO SCREEN DOOR PROTECTOR SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK.

4) BAD VIBRATION IN LEFT FRONT SPEAKER, AGAIN MOUNTING SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK. SCREWS REPLACED WITH VELCRO TAPE. CLOSE OUT PANEL NOW EASILY REMOVED.

5) WATER PUMP FAILURE CAUSED BY A SEPARATED WIRE INSIDE THE INSULATION WHERE WIRING ENTERS THE PUMP HOUSING….. FAILURE OCCURRED ON OUR FRIST CAMPING TRIP.

6) A MULTITUDE OF PINHOLES IN ACCORDION SHADE OVER SINK.

7) WATER LEAK AT SHOWER MANIFOLD CAUSED BY COLD WATER LINE BEING TOO SHORT.

8) THREE PLASTIC LATCHES FOR CLOSET DOORS AND TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENTS INSTALLED POORLY, MISALIGNMENT, CAUSING LATCH FAILURE.

9) STOVE IGNITER KNOB CRACKED/FAILURE.

10) BATHROOM MIRROR LATCH.

11) … HOLD DOWN SCREWS FOR CONVERTER MISSED THEIR MARK.
SLOPPY/NOISEY WATER PUMP INSTALL & WIRING. INSTALL RUBBER ISOLATION MOUNTS, RE-ROUTE AND SECURE WIRING HARNESS.

12) WATER HEATER<> THERMOSTAT NOT CALIBRATED<>SCALDING TEMP.

13) FRIDGE INTERIOR LIGHT INOP, SWITCH ARM CRACKED

14) KITCHEN SINK SPRAY HANDLE CRACKED,LEAKING WHEN USED.

15) CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS FOUND THRU-OUT TRAILER. BIC LIGHTER & CANDY WRAPPER UNDER RUG IN STREETSIDE REAR COMPARTMENT.

16) AC SHROUD, SKYLIGHT, FF VENT ALL CRACKED AT SCREW MOUNT HOLES FROM IMPROPER INSTALL.

17) BLACK TANK ROOF VENT LEAKING, POOR INSTALL/CAULKING. MISSING SCREWS.

18) WATER LINE FITTING UNDER BATHROOM SINK CROSS-THREADED, CRACKED, LEAKING.

19) FILIFORM CORROSION

20) CLEARCOAT PEALING FROM ENTRY DOOR HINGES AND BATTERY DOOR SURROUNDS.

AIRSTREAM DID SEND US THE NECESSARY ITEMS TO MAKE THE REPAIRS ON SOME ITEMS:
WATER PUMP, SHADE, LATCHES FOR CLOSET AND STORAGE DOORS. NEW
DOOR FOR BATHROOM ACCESS, SLIDE FOR PANTRY.
OTHER NECESSARY ITEMS PURCHASED FROM CAMPING WORLD.
I NEVER RECEIVED A CSI REPORT FROM THE FACTORY, OR ANY FOLLOW-UP AT ALL.
THE FACTORY QC WAS LACKING, BUT THE DEALER MUST ASSUME SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR A VERY POOR PDI. WELL I GUESS THAT JUST ABOUT COVERS IT, EXCEPT TO SAY I WAS MORE THAN A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED IN THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE!

OK, WP no way to predict, but most everything else could have been remedied at JC/QC or during proper PDI.

I know I shouldn't "bitch", and I'm probably far outside the bounds of Airstream uncouthness.
Shut-up and eat your lima beans, fix that leak and re-mount that converter or no camping for you.

Bob
Old 12-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #65
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
I'm a realist. I know it's never going to be fault free after it leaves the factory. What's the worst of these issues is water leaks and access. If there is easy access to fix it then I have no issue with getting it done myself. Water leaking from a AC access not properly covered up would be a serious issue for my dealer to fix. Having to take the unit back to the mothership shouldn't have to happen.

I do look forward to getting into a AS. Posts like these just make me add to my plan of a few days conducting PDI. As a prior military retiree I've learned a few things about conducting inspections.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Bob- a key statement in your 2006 post: "The selling dealer had closed." He deserved to close.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #67
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Bob- a key statement in your 2006 post: "The selling dealer had closed." He deserved to close.
He sure did deserve it!!!!

But still, JC never did pay me for the PDI.

Bob
Old 12-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #68
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Right on, H.A. When you do the walkthrough / PDI on your new Airstream, go in with the idea that you're going to find a bunch of stuff they need to address before you take it home. I'm of an age where I refer to that is going in with your "60 minutes eyes" - you're determined to find dirt and show it to everyone, no matter how shiny and clean everything appears to be on the surface.

Instead, we went in with our "oooh, it's soo beautiful!" eyes and a mission of learning everything about how the trailer worked. So, we missed pretty much every build error until our first real camping trip. Fortunately for us, the only thing seriously wrong was the entry door itself. Not so much a bank vault door...more of a leaky tin shack door. Other issues, while irritating, didn't interfere with any of the basic functioning of the trailer. Overall I'm feeling we were pretty fortunate with our 2014 Int'l Sig 27FB.

Later, after you've done your due diligence and the dealer has resolved your list of things that must be fixed before you'll take delivery, camp nearby for a couple of days to see what other warts you can find while simultaneously falling in love with your new trailer.

The process took us almost a year, but now most of the obvious flaws have been completely resolved and we love our trailer. We still have a couple of items - a recent crack in our Corian counter top and a front storage compartment door that still wants to leak when we drive through horrendous rainstorms, despite 3 attempts to fix it. (This time I asked them to please call JC and ask for a front storage door with 2 latches, since I've heard this has been done in some FB situations to stop storage door leaks like ours.) Thank goodness our dealer is less than 30 minutes away and a good one - this has made the process comparatively painless.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #69
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
In regard to the pre-delivery inspection, this is what I was told by the dealer when we did our walk though.

I asked why they let glaring problems go unfixed.
These included huge gouges in the handhold by the front door. large obvious scratches in the counter tops, and a long gouge in the flooring. There were a few other things that could be seen from just a visual inspection, and a few more problems that would have required turning something on to see if it worked.

This what I was told. it was the summer of 2009.
Airstream will not reimburse us for any work preformed to fix a problem on a new trailer until the customer has identified the problem on his own and told us about it. They said they were not supposed to point any problems out to the customers, and if they did and the factory found out, they would not be reimbursed for fixing that either.

I'm not saying its still true or even that is was totally true then. I am only saying that is it true that I was told this.

Ken
Old 12-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #70
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Sounds like BS to me.

Like to hear from Patrick at Colonial on that one.

I Know it wouldn't fly at any GM store I ever worked at.
We were not allowed to write an order at 35k looking for warrantee work, you need a customer complaint.

But PDI's required a repair for any found factory 'defects'.

Bob