Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Didn't know I bought something 'Special'.. or is it?

This sounds stoopid, but my Flying Cloud says "Special Edition" on the side. When I bought it, I didn't really know what that exactly meant. The funny thing is that the salesman never mentioned it either. Usually "special edition" is a selling point.

I was curious (after the fact) so Googled 27' Flying Cloud "Special Edition."
It took me to a thread here (naturally) that stated they only made 25, 2010 Flying Cloud "Special Editions"?

Am I really only one of 25 in the entire world??? Gee, I may have found something in my life that I can really brag about - finally.

But from what I gather, the only thing really "special" about the unit is the upholstery - something they call "Prism"....or am I missing something else????

This is my trailer - not the exact one I ended up with - but has everything shown here.

Colonial Airstream NJ - 2010 Airstream Flying Cloud 27' FB
Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
'Special Edition' has meant different things over time. When we bought our Safari 6 years ago, it was labeled with both Special Edition & LS package extras. I recall a few of the particulars but couldn't now tell you exactly which was which. Whoever posted this seems to have summed up the division in post #2.

And then we've seen the Quiksilver, Design Within Reach and Victorinox special editions. I think we've gotta say the definition is variable & depends on base model features + add-ons that are economic/appealing. Whether extra equipment or design details, these sales features (for the dealers) result in a bit greater utility or decor for us -- all for the positive if it keeps sales & desirability stoked. The link you posted by Colonial was described a bit more fully here.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Prisim was a limited production 27' FB Flying Cloud. Airstream used this model to build out the extra fabric left from the 12 Airstream International DWR 16' Bambis they made in 2009.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
When we bought our 2006 limited edition 75th Anniversary model, the first front bedroom model offerted, we rushed to switch Airstreams thinking it would be a "limited" edition for only that anniversary year, but many years are anniversary years (they happen annually, no? and special years like 75th happen twice ) and the lmited special edition front bedroom model is now the most popular selling model continuing down to 2012 so far. In fact other models have been discontinued and are more rare at this point. My answer in response to what's up with that was...marketing, limited edition means limited only to just how many they can crank out of production each year.

Every individual here fancies themselves as unique and special, AND SO WE ARE!!!! Welcome to our world, Fly by Night! It's good to have you with us. Aluminitus, it really grips you.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Always remember that you're unique...just like everybody else.

Hey, I got to ride the special bus....does that count?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
Man I am really bummed. We bought a new trailer in 2007 and it was a special edition and now they still make the special edition in 2011. What gives or are we all to be special if we own a new Airstream. I thinks all Airstreams are special editions because of the people that own them.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
When we bought our 2006 limited edition 75th Anniversary model, the first front bedroom model offerted, we rushed to switch Airstreams thinking it would be a "limited" edition for only that anniversary year, but many years are anniversary years (they happen annually, no? and special years like 75th happen twice ) and the lmited special edition front bedroom model is now the most popular selling model continuing down to 2012 so far. In fact other models have been discontinued and are more rare at this point. My answer in response to what's up with that was...marketing, limited edition means limited only to just how many they can crank out of production each year.

Every individual here fancies themselves as unique and special, AND SO WE ARE!!!! Welcome to our world, Fly by Night! It's good to have you with us. Aluminitus, it really grips you.
Thanks for your kind invitation, but your PJ party is a bit far for this newbie. I'm sure you will all have a blast, though! I wish there were more AS events in W. Canada.

Thanks all, for answering my question - particularly "Colonial AS."
Old 09-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Island Lake , Illinois
It looks exactly as mine except the fabric colors and my fire extinguisher is spun a different direction.
justbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbrian View Post
It looks exactly as mine except the fabric colors and my fire extinguisher is spun a different direction.
You have a special edition fire extinguisher.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Island Lake , Illinois
thanks ClanceBee, I almost painted it white.

@ the OP~ Fly at Night...for simple babblin' sakes, I strongly encourage not to close the bathroom vanity mirror from fully open without un-latching the hinge lock.
omg~ morning one, a bit fuzzy from a bit of celebrating, treating it like the bed dampers I pulled down without unlocking the hinge. Awww carp, there I stood with half the mirror in my hands with no immediate way out per se. Cheap arsed mounting that is, wannabie wood 'n tiny screws...umm yeah matched wit me tiny brain.
~Good thing the span of room is near the same as it was able to rest on the wall on the wounded side....

Perhaps this should be a new thread but I couldn't get an angle at the hinge plate to remount with larger screws, so I took the mirror off.
It looks as I've to take off the lower shelf to take the whole vanity off to repair it.
Question being~~eesh! what's it like unscrewing/re-screwing to these aluminum walls like? lol, I thought I'd ask before Murfey shows up 'n says "gotcha". I hate "i gotcha's".

Funny the whole thing did seed the thought of a full length vanity mirror cuz the mirror is stashed in the closet..face out so's to still trim the 'stache 'n bed head check..blah blah.
Thinking a plastic type mirror can be attached/caulked to the inside of the shower door as a flip out full length.
oh gimmie a break~it's called vanity for a reason. There's always those puttin' on the ritz nights out.
wadiay'all think? It is a piano hinge thang.

kbb-zero one niner seven we're off the key, kickin' back 'n readin' the mail.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Island Lake , Illinois
umm, looks kinda long ay? Sorry isn't just a board game anymo.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Ya'll are just making me happier with my ole Excella. She ain't got no stinkin' fake wood in 'er. All oak cabinetry. That's special to me.

Oh, but there's that dang blamed particle board. That ain't special. I guess it's "fake wood." Well real wood, sort of glued together. Just like us to to fool around and buy one from one of the few years they put that good-for-nothing stuff in. But she was so beautiful....just like some people, we didn't notice her big flaws until we were in love. So, patching floor is pretty much a full time job.

Still, she's special. They're all special. And all the people who have Airstreams are "special" too. Mostly in a good way.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbrian View Post
LOL ... darned fire extinguishers ... what a special option !
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Selking View Post
Man I am really bummed. We bought a new trailer in 2007 and it was a special edition and now they still make the special edition in 2011.
Yes, but it's a 2011 (now 2012) Special Edition. So, the 2007 Special Edition, Limited Production, soon-to-be-collectible Safari will never be made again.
maybe you'll feel better now, even though it's several months later...

Tags
2010 flying cloud