Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , D.C.
Desk/w table option in 23-footer

Greetings,

Does anyone have a model 23 with the desk/table option? if so, what are the dimensions of the desk at its widest section? It doesn't seem like a popular option.

I'm just starting my search in earnest and I'm wondering if this is something truly worth considering. I'm a photographer and also like to write (on paper!) so this little work space is of interest to me.

Thanks for any help!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Most of the tables in the newer (19'-25') Airstreams are the same size but I don't have mine at home to measure. The older 22' CCDs had a desk in the rear of the trailer but the 23' has the dinette with the L lounge. Also there is an outlet under the table to add a lamp and there should be plenty of room to work at it. I hope this helps and good luck with your 23'! It's a perfect size.

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , D.C.
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I can find some pictures of the older models.

I've been thinking about this desk thing and since it will just be me maybe I can simply use the dinette and not take up valuable floor space with a chair. I still like the idea though...
Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A word of caution. I think blmitch5 would agree that 22 CCD model is perhaps the most troublesome trailer Airstream has built, based on owners' reports on this forum. Very inadequate frame and weak floor material are major concerns.

The late model 23's have been as good as any Airstream, although not as popular as the 25-27's.

doug k
Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
We have a 2009 23' Flying Cloud with the desk/chair and the couch. The desk measures just shy of 2' at the widest point, which is a few inches wider than the chair at about 19-20". As you probably know, that desk curves around so you loose a little bit of working space, but my wife often sits there and uses her laptop. We like the roominess of that entry area. We find the folding table and the couch arrangement just fine for us. Although the corner bed and the corner bath configuration is a little tight compared to the front bed model with larger rear bath, we didn't like the lack of lounge/relax area or the "dinette over the wheel well across from the galley" layout of the 23FB. I think for a single traveler, the desk/chair and couch layout in the 23' would be pretty ideal. Dual axles, narrow body for ease of towing, more than adequate fresh/grey/black tank capacities and plenty of interior room and storage. Good luck with your AS hunt!

Rich
WBCCI #1512
2014 25FB Flying Cloud
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison
Lucky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
I think for a single traveler, the desk/chair and couch layout in the 23' would be pretty ideal.
I concur with Lucky Dog on at least the couch with the credenza/desk layout.

Hey wild Robot, I looked at one of these when I first looked at a few used Safari models. I was interested as I teach online and need a desk area The 23' is certainly an option. I ended up with another option you may want to consider and easier to find- a 25' Safari with the couch and lift up table. The table can be a desk and it also serves as an eating area inside if need be. I leave it half open for a desk. This layout is also not as popular but more available I believe. It is also found in classic floorplans. I know this is not a 23' but if you are shopping used at all, it is good to keep the options open. The 25' Safari is around 5100 lbs empty and up to 7000 lbs loaded up. The dinette models will work too but take your floor space. The only thing IMO that you sacrifice is bathroom space (smaller) compared to the newer layout with the shower/washroom separated but you have more storage. If you are crafty, you could buy the twin rear model and convert one bed area into a desk and have a 3 x 6.5 desk area. I bought a bernard chair at IKEA that fits just inside the door on the right as a store area that I use at the lift table.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , D.C.
Thanks a lot Lucky Dog, I appreciate the info and the feedback. Do you have any pictures of your setup by chance?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I concur with Lucky Dog on at least the couch with the credenza/desk layout.

Hey wild Robot, I looked at one of these when I first looked at a few used Safari models. I was interested as I teach online and need a desk area The 23' is certainly an option. I ended up with another option you may want to consider and easier to find- a 25' Safari with the couch and lift up table. The table can be a desk and it also serves as an eating area inside if need be. I leave it half open for a desk. This layout is also not as popular but more available I believe. It is also found in classic floorplans. I know this is not a 23' but if you are shopping used at all, it is good to keep the options open. The 25' Safari is around 5100 lbs empty and up to 7000 lbs loaded up. The dinette models will work too but take your floor space. The only thing IMO that you sacrifice is bathroom space (smaller) compared to the newer layout with the shower/washroom separated but you have more storage. If you are crafty, you could buy the twin rear model and convert one bed area into a desk and have a 3 x 6.5 desk area. I bought a bernard chair at IKEA that fits just inside the door on the right as a store area that I use at the lift table.
If I end up with a new trailer the 23w/desk is very appealing, but I am shopping used and trying to remain flexible. There's actually a 25' Safari for sale that has my attention. It didn't have the twin beds though--Brilliant idea with removing one to make a desk area.

I'm really thinking I'll be somewhere in the 23'-25' area which is about right for me and maybe one guest on occasion.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Sounds like a plan. I don't know how handy you are but another interesting layout to me is the 26' Overlander twin. The bath is in the rear and the beds in the middle but the same idea might work- desk at one bed area. They are an older model but hey, ya never know.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , D.C.
Something to consider--that idea really works for my situation. I think some decisions will be made for me depending on what I 'find' in good enough condition to start out with or if I just buy new.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Robot View Post
Thanks a lot Lucky Dog, I appreciate the info and the feedback. Do you have any pictures of your setup by chance?
Hey Wild Robot. If you haven't done so, check the Colonial Airstream website. They usually have tons of inventory and you may find one posted with interior photos or a youtube video. I will see what I can find.

Rich
WBCCI #1512
2014 25FB Flying Cloud
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison
Lucky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Robot View Post
If I end up with a new trailer the 23w/desk is very appealing, but I am shopping used and trying to remain flexible. There's actually a 25' Safari for sale that has my attention. It didn't have the twin beds though--Brilliant idea with removing one to make a desk area.
I thought AS reduced the variety of 23' floorplans for 2013. I know my beloved L-shape lounge is gone, and I think the desk floorplan is gone too. So you're pretty much shopping the used market - and like you said, the desk is pretty rare.

I love my 23. But if it was destroyed tomorrow, I'd probably get a 25 with a floorplan similar to dkottum's or rodster's. Or maybe a 25SS - with its three sleeping areas (rear corner bed, front couch, dinette), you could just use the dinette as a desk.

Tom
Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dog View Post
Hey Wild Robot. If you haven't done so, check the Colonial Airstream website. They usually have tons of inventory and you may find one posted with interior photos or a youtube video. I will see what I can find.

Rich
Yes sir, I've been all over that site. I did manage to find a decent picture at another dealer's site. Can't post the link to the specific image. oddly enough, the desk is right next to the fold out table in front of the sofa.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
I thought AS reduced the variety of 23' floorplans for 2013. I know my beloved L-shape lounge is gone, and I think the desk floorplan is gone too. So you're pretty much shopping the used market - and like you said, the desk is pretty rare.

I love my 23. But if it was destroyed tomorrow, I'd probably get a 25 with a floorplan similar to dkottum's or rodster's. Or maybe a 25SS - with its three sleeping areas (rear corner bed, front couch, dinette), you could just use the dinette as a desk.

Tom
Yes, it's getting a bit confusing with what's available and what I see. There seem to be quite a variety of floor plans. I think what I'm most drawn to at this point is one of the 25FB configurations that have pano windows in front and back--that rear dinette would be a terrific work space I think.