Old 01-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="2012 Airstream Flying Cloud 23&#39; C Sofa Travel Trailer RV Sales Colonial Airstream - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a 2012 like our 2009, different interior colors, but same layout.

Rich

WBCCI #1512
2014 25FB Flying Cloud
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison
Lucky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , D.C.
Thank you, that shows the view I wanted to see. Gotta love those Colonial Airstream soundtracks.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
my favorite 23' is the one with the L lounge the shelf behind the couch and the pull out gate table with high square chest in the corner.

Used is not a bad thing. I am confident you will find one. When I was looking last year there was nothing then all at once several showed up in the forum classifieds and online.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , D.C.
I've seen that floor plan. It's the alternate to the 23 w/desk right? Wouldn't mind seeing that in person. So far the 23 that I like the best is the FB, but I need to see the corner bedroom model. Something about that bed against the walls bugs me, but I like the front of the trailer. Compromise compromise.

Thanks. I actually want to buy used so will probably end up not getting most of my 'wants' this time. Headed to FL for a week so will look around after a couple days of work.

By the way, I saw a 2013 25 today with the twin bed option. It was fantastic. It's just me, but I really like that layout. You were spot on about finding an older model, removing one bed and making it a work space--that would work beautifully.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I'm looking at the 23C and 23D models. I have not been able to look at either model yet but looking at online photos and youTubes I feel I starting to understand some pros and cons of each floor plan.

The C couch model offers what I think is a more spacious living area when the side table is folded up. The couch should offer a more comfortable seating area to watch TV then the dinette of the 23D. You could take the dinette down and make on big lounge I suppose but it would be more like a bed than a lounge. The side gaucho of the 23D is not a good viewing location for the TV. The folding table of the 23C allows you to use either one leaf or two leaves depending on your needs. You could work on this table if the small desk under the TV isn't sufficient.

The 23D dinette and side gaucho offers more sleeping areas and a bigger dining environment for 3 adults and small children. The 23C with the desk chair can seat 3 at the table. I guess you could squeeze a 3rd person on the couch but may be easier to have a small ottoman for the 4th person to sit at the end of the table.

The 23C has a large single wardrobe, while the 23D has two split wardrobes. I don't know if the single wardrobe has more space than the 2 split wardrobes but they look close on the floor plan drawings. The 20C has an extra overhead side wall cabinet over the corner bed while 20D is missing this cabinet and only has the end cabinet on the back wall.

The 20C misses the storage under the street side gaucho of the 23D but makes up for it with the extra rear bed overhead. The couch has storage underneath it, in the armrests and behind it. The kitchen cabinets and pantry cabinets seem to be the same.

I'm leaning towards a 23C vs the 23D. The couch will offer a better evening relaxing and TV watching area and the couch makes into a nice size bed for a 3rd person. A small ottoman that provides extra storage could make an nice coffee table for evening snacks and foot rests.

The entrance door of the 23C is located closer to the wheels while the 23D the door is further forward. You loose the two large windows of the 23D in the 23C on the street side but there is a window on the curb side forward of the door.

The 20C is a little heavier on the hitch 779 lb vs 720 lb of the 23D

I wonder why Airstream couldn't put the 30 gallon gray tank from the 23FB into the 23D or 23C.

I hope this helps.

Kelvin
Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Here's a few reasons why we have a 23C:

- We bought used so we were subject to the model availability of the past. Other than 2012, when it became available in Flying Cloud trim, the 23D was only available in International (CCD or Ocean Breeze) trim. We prefer the neutral Safari SE/Flying Cloud interior to the wenge interior of the CCD. (An Ocean Breeze would have worked.)

- There's just two of us. The couch is big enough for both of us to lounge.

- I love having an "empty" space under the curbside window ahead of the entry door. Gives a feeling of openness and some floor area to put stuff where it isn't underfoot.

- We also really like having the additional surface area of the credenza under the TV. Helps allay our fears of small galley countertop space.

- It was being sold 60 miles away and was immaculate. (Not trouble-free, but immaculate.)

That said, the 23D would have an even bigger lounge space if you fold down the dinette, and that second big window would be really nice.

It pains me to say this because I'm an advocate for smaller trailers, but I want to share what I've learned. If I knew what I know now, I would have skipped the 23' and bought a 25'. Yes, the 25' would be a tighter squeeze onto the VT state campground sites we use, but I would manage. Those three extra feet of length (since it's really 26' feet long) in a 25FB or a new 25B eliminate basically every floor plan compromise of the 23' trailers. And the extra 6" of width makes a big difference in how open the trailer feels. My tow vehicle wouldn't feel the difference either.

We really like our cozy, compact 23'. But you should consider strongly why you're picking a 23' over a 25'.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
We are looking for the 23C or 23D because we would need to upgrade to another tow vehicle to pull a 25, the cost and availability of a 25' currently in our search radius, and we like to camp in smaller sites, national parks. The biggest bugaboo is the gray holding tank size in the 23C,D, 21 gal. Even my Casita has a larger capacity tank. I'll have to get a portable tote tank.

Our plan is to go with a 23 because we could get by with our current vehicle (we think, we need to test tow) and in about 3 years upgrade the tow vehicle and then two years later when we retire we can evaluate the situation.

Kelvin
Old 02-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Listen to the advice of mutcth and save $$ in the long run.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Kelvin, can I ask what you're towing with now?

The gray tank isn't exactly generous, but last year we made it through five days in Acadia National Forest with showers (and an Oxygenics shower head), dumping dish water down the campground's drain. I own a big blue boy, but don't bring it along and have never used it.

Tom
Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Revisiting the thread. Wild Robot, you asked if it was the desk model that I was speaking of - no. I looked at the 23' options. The layout that I really liked in the 23' had an L shaped couch with a roll away dinette and a taller square cabinet for the TV. It is the 23C optional layout at the bottom. The reason I liked it is that you can move the table anywhere and it can be a desk or eating table. Plus, the L shape of the couch allows for three at least to sit and eat at the table without any extra seating. Then, when you want space, roll it away into the cabinet next to the chest cabinet with the TV on top and have your space. To me, multi-use is the way to go with everything but regularly used beds. Here is the 23C with alternate layout below. As far as 25' goes. My Safari model weighs around 5000 lbs empty and 7000 lbs loaded max. My lounge floor plan is very similar to the 23 C at the top. The tongue weight is hefty but if you have a half-ton truck you may be able to get by. You would like the extra space and even better, you could get a twin model! I know personal preference but think of all that floor space.Plus bigger fridge, more tank space, wider body, etc. Even though I might be stepping on some toes by saying this, go sit in a dinette of a 23FB and tell me, as the only sitting area how you like sitting there watching TV and throwing your leg over the wheel well. I guess that is the price to pay for having a front bedroom in a 23 right?
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
It looks as if there is a 23FB for sale in Dallas. There is a 25' Classic (2003) @1000lbs more than a regular 25' for sale at a dealer in FL for $29K. You have time or, you could take a vacation and pick one up!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Here's a link to a 23C with the floorplan I mentioned:

Colonial Airstream NJ - 2012 Airstream Flying Cloud 23C
Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Kelvin, can I ask what you're towing with now?

The gray tank isn't exactly generous, but last year we made it through five days in Acadia National Forest with showers (and an Oxygenics shower head), dumping dish water down the campground's drain. I own a big blue boy, but don't bring it along and have never used it.

Tom
My tow vehicle is a 2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2wd with the 4.7L V8. Tow capacity 7300lbs, label on hitch is rated 1095lbs with weight distribution, 730lbs with no distribution. Payload is 1200lbs. I realize the payload may be an issue and I will perform a tow test before purchasing including weighing at the CAT scales with the trailer hitched. We would like to be able to tow the 23 for a few years and then upgrade to a better tow vehicle. The 4Runner only has 68K miles on it currently.

There is another user on these forums towing a 2012 23C with a 2011 4Runner with the V6. That model year may have a little better payload than my 4Runner.

Kelvin
Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
You could take on my 25' model with careful payload planning as it maxes out at 7000 lbs and payload (Airstream 860 lbs.) CAT scales with full propane 1000 lbs. Hey you drive and the others follow on motorcycle or car or... Yeah that payload poses a problem but kinda with a 23' too if you will have more people in the TV.