Old 10-19-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Confused again

I am winterizing my 2016 FC28 rear queen for the first time and am wondering about the water pump. I have opened all the drains and the hot water heater plug and will be simply using an air compressor to get the water out of the system as I have done with motor homes I have owned in the past. But I keep reading that the water pump requires special treatment. I have no idea where the water pump is located and what to do about it. Won't the compressed air take care of everything or do I have to do something special with the water pump? I have read other threads indicating a need to practically disassemble the trailer to get to the water pump.

Any help from other FC28 owners? I posted in the "winterizing" forum but have had no replies and have seen no posts from those with this model AS

Thanks.
Richard

Old 10-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Richard, Kudos for avoiding antifreeze -- we do the same.

You are correct about needing to get to the pump. Does your owners manual tell you any more about its location?

Your floor plan should be here on p. 4-3 [p. 27/112 of PDF]:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ying-Cloud.pdf

The plumbing section on p. 5-6 [p. 36/112 of PDF] says to go to Section 8 for pump maintenance etc.. Page 8-14 [PDF 78] says your pump is under the fridge, and that the bottom cabinet panel pulls off for access. It goes on to illustrate the filter assembly and describe its dissassembly.

I also recommend that before you put things back together for the winter, that you blow (by mouth) into the exposed end of the water supply line coming from the water tank, to discharge any small amounts of water, still in that line, back into the water tank (whose drain should have been left open earlier, after which you can raise and lower the tongue jack on the trailer, to minimize water left in the tank).

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- There may be other threads for this process on the FC28, and I will look for them later.

PS2 -- Do you have a macerator toilet by any chance? There is a special low point drain valve for these which is described in another thread.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas
After draining down ours, I ran the pump for a short time to purge any water that might be in the pump, then aired out the lines until mostly dry air was coming out - survived a -20F winter.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Blowing air through the city water connection does not blow through or purge the water from the water pump. You need to drain the fresh water tank completely and then run the pump to get the water out of the pump and the lines from the tank. After that, you can blow out the distribution lines and hot water tank with compressed air from the city water connection. Using the low point drains is also recommended.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Uh oh!

Your pump may not be where the manual says it is?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ss-140909.html

. . . but rather behind a panel under the wardrobe per DeltaRon?

and quite inaccessible?

Maybe call your dealer . . .

Sorry to be the possible bearer of bad news!

Peter
Old 10-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
We have a 28' rear queen and the pump is under the fridge just as the manual says it is.

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
I have a year 2011 28W queen, and the water pump is right under the fridge. The access panel simply pops off (sometimes while driving :-P) for access to the pump/pex, etc.

Tangentally, when I winterize, I choose to leave the pump in place, and once my hot water bypass valve is thrown, the mains are drained, and I am done with blowing the lines with my compressor, I toss a gallon of anti-freeze into the fresh tank and run the pump to fill the lines to the sinks/shower/toiler/sprayer.

Generally, it takes half a minute of running each line under pressure to de-winterize. It's an easy enough process that I do it 8-12 times during the winter while I continue to use my trailer for camping during winter sports season.

Ian
Old 10-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Good news from similar models! Ian, they want to avoid antifreeze I believe.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
I have a year 2011 28W queen, and the water pump is right under the fridge. The access panel simply pops off (sometimes while driving :-P) for access to the pump/pex, etc.

Tangentally, when I winterize, I choose to leave the pump in place, and once my hot water bypass valve is thrown, the mains are drained, and I am done with blowing the lines with my compressor, I toss a gallon of anti-freeze into the fresh tank and run the pump to fill the lines to the sinks/shower/toiler/sprayer.

Generally, it takes half a minute of running each line under pressure to de-winterize. It's an easy enough process that I do it 8-12 times during the winter while I continue to use my trailer for camping during winter sports season.

Ian
There you go, good info!
Old 10-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
There you go, good info!
Except the OP here expressed an interest in using Air Compressor Only in that other thread, per the title of this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
I have done the same with my previous motor home with no problem. I plan on doing so this year with my new FC28. But I notice they put a water filter under the sink. Do I have to remove this and replace it with the clear plastic line or can I leave it in place when i blow out the lines?
Old 10-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs
I have done the same with my previous motor home with no problem. I plan on doing so this year with my new FC28. But I notice they put a water filter under the sink. Do I have to remove this and replace it with the clear plastic line or can I leave it in place when i blow out the lines?

If you trailer has a water filter next the the kitchen sink you have to remove the filter container and replace it with the bypass cap, a small plate supplied when trailer was new. Failure to do this will leave the filter container full of water and a sure freeze problem.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Except the OP here expressed an interest in using Air Compressor Only in that other thread, per the title of this post:
Ok; rather than forum moderate, let's answer the modified question then [I saw nothing in the OP that said options would not be considered.]

Re "running your pump dry" - if you use that option only, I'd do it before you pressurize the lines for a blow-out to handle water introduced into the lines. However there's also a length of pex between the pump and the valve to handle city/internal line transfer. I'd be concerned about water remaining in that line, so you may want to consider making it removable that it can be pulled along with the pump for external storage.

Of course, that makes you're winterizing/de-winterizine procedure a tad longer; and may lead to inability/non-desire to use your trailer for camping during the winter time. For me it's about being as efficient in being back on the road for a snowshoeing or snowmobiling trip in January; then re-winterize to enable a quick turnaround for another trip the following weekend.

Good luck and enjoy!

Ian
Old 10-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs

If you trailer has a water filter next the the kitchen sink you have to remove the filter container and replace it with the bypass cap, a small plate supplied when trailer was new. Failure to do this will leave the filter container full of water and a sure freeze problem.
Oh; that's a VERY good point! My trailer doesn't have that filter so was not thinking...

You also don't want to be running anti-freeze through that filter either; as it can compromise the filter capabilities.

Good catch!

Ian
Old 10-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
My Airstream makes me feel like an idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post

Ian
OK, so I opened all the drains (fresh water and petcocks) and raised and lowered the jack. Water has stopped flowing from the fresh water drain but the monitor says there is still 13%. I turn on the pump switch and dead silence. So I hooked up my compressor to the city water inlet with all the taps open and have a steady 60# of air pressure but I don't sense anything coming out of any of the faucets. What am I missing? Is there some kind of pressure release valve I have to press on the city water inlet? Why is this so hard?