Old 10-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
It is time you step back and start over.

<snip>

...Do not pressurize the system. Don't pay any attention to the water line drains Airstream installed. They are more problems than they are worth....

<snip>
What does this mean? Low point drains?

Old 10-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #30
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Sticking out below the belly of your Airstream you should see two small valves. One is the hot water line and one for the cold. These are, theoretically speaking, the lowest point in the plumbing line run and, again theoretically, should allow you to drain the system without using compressed air. I use compressed air and as a final detail I open each of them making sure only air comes out. If you blow the lines and do a thorough job of it I think you can omit this step and ignore them. I just do both.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
winterzation kit

Shoot, I was in Point Pleasent WVA at the MothMan festival, back in September. I could have run up to 'The Plains and installed the Camco Pump Winterizing kit, in twenty minutes and you could have winterized when ever you felt like it.

You just install the Camco kit on the intake of your water pump. It has a brass valve you flick to bypass and stick the hose in a gallon of RV anti-freeze. Bypass the hot water heater , turn on the pump open the valve on the galley sink, bathroom sink, commode and shower, run just a little anti-freeze through the lines, you are good to go. maybe a gallon of fluid,
Learned my lesson, had to replace the commode foot valve and water pump. So I made sure I had it in there this year.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-P...terization+kit

yeah yours is a 28 so the pump should be under the fridge. Remove that panel that has the atwood propane leak detector. You may have to remove a forced-air, heater hose, the pumps right there in the middle of the sawdust and rats nest of wires.
Not a bad spot to get to, just need a flash light. I think I am going to add lighting under there. I can get power from the 12 volt lines to the fridge.
I am always in there doing something.
I'll try to take a pic and post it. The AS is over at the storage facility.
My pump froze last year, so I don't mess with the air anymore.
Safe travels
Old 10-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
. . .
So tomorrow I will remove the six (not 4) phillips screws on the panel under the wardrobe shelf and see if the pump is there and accessible.
. . .
Good morning Richard, just wondering if you found the pump and were able to winterize your pipes? Hoping no news is good news.

Cheers,

Peter
Old 10-26-2016, 06:09 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
No joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Good morning Richard, just wondering if you found the pump and were able to winterize your pipes? Hoping no news is good news.

Cheers,

Peter
I got four off but the bottom two are behind a wood piece that is nailed and screwed in. I just couldn't get a screwdriver up in there. These are really small Phillips screws so I just couldn't get the driver to bite and turn them.
So I gave up. I have a hole in the banana wrap (just love those narrow campsites bordered with large rocks) so I'll be going to JC in the Spring and while there I'll have them show me how to get to the pump.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #34
The Myth

Currently Looking...
Killeen , Texas
Whitegs, you shouldn't need to take off any screws to access your water pump. There is a false panel at the bottom your refrigerator, it will just pop off. The water pump is behind this access panel. You should be able to get your fingers behind the edge slightly and pop it off.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
panel

Quote:
I got four off but the bottom two are behind a wood piece that is nailed and screwed in. I just couldn't get a screwdriver up in there. These are really small Phillips screws so I just couldn't get the driver to bite and turn them.
So I gave up. I have a hole in the banana wrap (just love those narrow campsites bordered with large rocks) so I'll be going to JC in the Spring and while there I'll have them show me how to get to the pump.
The only thing behind that access panel in the wardrobe are the water lines that go down through the floor at that point, and the drain pipes to access the tanks. Your pump will be to the right, you can't see it from this panel. Your hot and cold lines will go under the floor at this point to go to the bathroom.
Like 'Jpas' said it is behind the panel under the refrigerator. LP gas detector is there on mine. I added additional length to the power wires on the LP gas detector, so I can pull that panel and set it to the side easily.

I'll see if I can get a pic of when the pump is one my AS.
safe travels !
Old 10-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Please re-read this entire thread including the linked earlier threads which disclose that the pump in Richard's model MAY be very difficult to access, and that your advice may be inaccurate. In particular the member DeltaRon here had a bear of a time accessing his pump, as referenced in Post #5 here.

Thank you for this courtesy.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAS View Post
Whitegs, you shouldn't need to take off any screws to access your water pump. There is a false panel at the bottom your refrigerator, it will just pop off. The water pump is behind this access panel. You should be able to get your fingers behind the edge slightly and pop it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
The only thing behind that access panel in the wardrobe are the water lines that go down through the floor at that point, and the drain pipes to access the tanks. Your pump will be to the right, you can't see it from this panel. Your hot and cold lines will go under the floor at this point to go to the bathroom.
Like 'Jpas' said it is behind the panel under the refrigerator. LP gas detector is there on mine. I added additional length to the power wires on the LP gas detector, so I can pull that panel and set it to the side easily.

I'll see if I can get a pic of when the pump is one my AS.
safe travels !
Old 10-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Thank you for the follow-up, Richard. Drats!

You probably realize this, but you will be running a small risk that there may still be a small amount of water left in the pump, filter, and/or supply line coming from the tank. You have the option of putting a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze into the fresh water tank and turning the pump on, to suck it up if it can get a prime. Maybe more than two gallons?

I support your avoidance of antifreeze however!

Good luck,

Peter
Old 10-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
awesome

Quote:
Please re-read this entire thread including the linked earlier threads which disclose that the pump in Richard's model MAY be very difficult to access, and that your advice may be inaccurate. In particular the member DeltaRon here had a bear of a time accessing his pump, as referenced in Post #5 here.

Thank you for this courtesy.

Peter
Awesome moderation Peter. I did see previous post #6 and #7 where 'Artic Fox' and 'Ian Poulin' confirmed the pump's location, ' under the fridge' , and your acknowledgement in post 8.

Feel free to continue your crusade against RV anti-freeze.
I was just trying to help 'whitegs' .

whatever,
Old 10-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Yes, they thought they knew where Richard's pump is, but in my opinion, they weren't looking at his trailer, and did not fully read Delta Ron's thread, which detailed the difficulties he had finding his pump.

Here is Delta Ron's older thread which was linked in Post #5:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ss-140909.html

Please take the time to read it, and appreciate that Richard's pump may be in a difficult location. 46 posts detailing DeltaRon's laborious process to locate his actual pump! It was under the fridge, but buried way in the back, so access via the front bottom panel was no good. You have to read the thread to appreciate it, so I won't go on.

No moderating going on, just attempting to be factually very accurate. My acknowledgement in Post #8 was incorrect, as it turned out later, when we learned how complicated the pump location might actually be.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 10-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Yes, they thought they knew where Richard's pump is, but in my opinion, they weren't looking at his trailer, and did not fully read Delta Ron's thread, which detailed the difficulties he had finding his pump.

Here is Delta Ron's older thread which was linked in Post #5:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ss-140909.html

Please take the time to read it, and appreciate that Richard's pump may be in a difficult location. 46 posts detailing DeltaRon's laborious process to locate his actual pump! It was under the fridge, but buried way in the back, so access via the front bottom panel was no good. You have to read the thread to appreciate it, so I won't go on.

No moderating going on, just attempting to be factually very accurate. My acknowledgement in Post #8 was incorrect, as it turned out later, when we learned how complicated the pump location might actually be.

Thanks,

Peter
Just ike the referenced thread, the converter and fuses are under the frig. I can hear the water pump under the hall closet but I just can't get to it.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Just ike the referenced thread, the converter and fuses are under the frig. I can hear the water pump under the hall closet but I just can't get to it.
Thank you for this confirmation, Richard, as you first said in Post #17 earlier in this thread.

Peter
Old 10-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Quote:
I think then your best bet is to go the route you were reticent to earlier in the thread. Once you complete your previous winterizing steps, finish by dropping a gallon or two of RV-grade antifreeze into your fresh tank, turn on the pump, and fill your lines to your faucets, etc., through the pump.

This will clear the fresh water sufficiently from the pump and offer winter storage protections without having to locate and/or remove the pump at the present time.

From my own experience, I usually de-winterize/re-winterize 8-10 times per winter to go camping; and the RV anti-freeze clears from the system fairly quickly. I think I've only ever noticed a lingering smell of it in the shower; but I also have an water-saving shower head, so it's likely simply a matter of how long it takes to pump the same amount of water through the line.

Ian