Old 01-16-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Sacramento , California
Command Sticky hooks

I don't know if this is the right forum, but here I am again asking beginner questions. This time I have two questions, both related to hanging stuff with adhesive. The first is using Command hooks. Will the adhesive harm the Formica cabinets and can you use it inside on the aluminum without leaving a mark if it is later taken off??

Second, has anyone used Scotch double sided mounting tape on Formica?? Can you take it off later on??

Thanks for any help you can provide.

stanwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We've used both without any problems. We kind of rotate our art work so the Command Strips come in handy.

Old (usually dirty) Nissan Titan
Old (enhanced with "male pattern baldness") Sovereign
Young, lovely bride
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #3
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
The one thing about Command strips is that they can't be removed from a cold surface , so I doubt you will have a problem where you are but for others.... beware! The command strip has to stretch to release and it won't do it if cold, warm first with a hair dryer. That being said, I love them!

Why do you want to use the tape on formica? If we knew what you were trying to do we might be able to offer a better alternative?
Shelly : TAC NH-6 | AIR 41359
Visit my blog!
Parts needed : Braund Antenna front tube fold down model!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
Sacramento , California
command hooks

I am hanging a paper towel holder underneath the cabinet at the sink. I did not want to drill into the Formica if I don't have to.

Thanks for the info,

Old 01-17-2016, 03:33 AM   #5
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi
2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
Use the double sided to figure out where you want it, but it is GOING to fall off A LOT when it gets warm. Don't use it on anything that will have edges and weight so it is going to screw something up when it falls. Trust me on this. I used the expensive 3M stuff rated for 20 and 30 pounds. It comes off the formica and aluminum pretty good with medium effort when you want to take it off.

You will eventually drill it in. You can get little flesh colored plugs at HD and many places if you take it off later and wish to neaten up things.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member
Sacramento , California
Command stickies

Thank you, that was what I was wondering about. Looks like they all use the same type of glue. This will work until summer and then I will screw it in.
Thanks again,
Old 01-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Our 2001 Safari 25 had something that looked like formica on the wall behind the galley. It was NOT formica. It was a vinyl layer glued to some kind of a fiberglass-like substrate. The previous owner had hot-glued a picture to the wall and the weight of the picture ultimately pulled the vinyl away from the substrate. I ended up having to cover it with something so we used the stainless mosaic tile from Lowes. It makes a nice look behind the cooktop.

Just a warning - make sure it is formica before sticking anything, particularly anything heavy, to it.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
Sacramento , California
command hooks

Thanks for all the info. I will check to make sure it is all Formica. The wall on ours is aluminum.

We head out on our first trip (test run) Thursday to Jackson Rancheria. We had a motor home before so we have some adjusting to make.