Old 06-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Stalactites and Stalagmites rule:
It's like ants in the pants. The mites go up and the tights come down.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Is there any burn smells remaining in the trailer?

Now that you are finished was it worth it? Talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Kelvin

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #115
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Another Week, Another Tow Vehicle

Our TV search continued, and we found a winner:

Yes, a 2010 F350 long box crew cab lariat with 48,000 miles on it. We are really happy to be done with the vehicle search.

We are a bit trepidatious about the legendary fuel consumption of the 6.8L V10, but the ride was way better than the F150 we test drove last week. And my is that cabin quiet--V10 is definitely smooooooth.

The F350 has a 'leveling' lift kit in it. Sharp eyes will see that the trailer is a little down at the tongue--that lift kit evidently changes the suspension travel per weight load as the same measurements that set the F150 nicely did not do the trick on the F350. I'll have to move the ball mount up one notch and perhaps bring the spring bars up another link.

Because the F350 sits so much higher, I had spring for a new hitch shank. The silver lining of that is I can now drop the tail gate while hitched up, which compensates for the increased difficulty of getting stuff in and out of the truck bed.

It was about 50 miles round trip to an official Zip Dee dealer for awning inspection and trouble detection. The primary problem is that the poly cord spline that keeps the awning attached to the segmented aluminum cover melted and shrank, allowing the awning to pull out of its channel. Our awning man doesn't do sewing repairs so we will be pulling the awning and resewing (if we can't tease in a new spline) ourselves.

But the tow rig and trailer handled fantastic--best pulling set-up ever!!

Thanks for keeping an eye on our adventure. I'll post soon on smoke smells, and later, on project cost, since we are still spending!!

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:22 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nice looking setup. It's coming together nicely.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #117
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Phoenix Progress:

Water system checked out and fully functioning. Was exciting to see 18" yellow flames coming out of the hot water heater, but after whatever obstructed the combustion chamber burned, we had a nice blue flame and normal on/off thermostat cycling. Whoooooeeeeee, that unit makes some hot water!!

With completion of testing the water systems, the Phoenix is just about done. The only remaining issue is the awning, and the replacement spline for it arrived just as we were taking the Phoenix out for a full field trial. Hopefully we will replace the spline and throughly clean the awning fabric this weekend, bringing the Phoenix's arcing flight from immolation to resurrection to a close.

That's not to say we are done, but the "To Do" list is no longer a list of repair and restore items. Now it is a list of routine maintenance and customizations, like a spice rack, switching out incandescents for LED's, adding a shelf or too so we can cram more stuff in.

To answer RJRitchie's query regarding odor, the Phoenix is remarkably free of smoke odor. Yes, there are enclosed spaces where you can smell a smoky smell--inside of the compartment housing the Sony entertainment system is one. The smoke penetrated everything, so while we did clean every surface we could reach there are a few places that still harbor soot--behind the cupboard that houses the kitchen range hood--didn't pull that. Didn't pull the cabinets at either end of the trailer, so probably behind them (these are integral with an interior aluminum panel). But we did pull the speakers, the bathroom cabinets, the refer compartment and the partition beween shower and bedroom, and so on, and cleaned any surface we could reach by hand or sponge mop. Much of the exposed surfaces we sprayed with a smoke sealer.

By dropping the center roof panel, we were able to clean and replace the insulation above it plus cleaning and replacing most of the insulation above the adjoining panels that transition wall to ceiling plus the upper portions of the endcaps down to the tops of the large windows. This also allowed us to verify that Tolleyizing the rivets was effective--some leakers required three or four applications of Captain Tolley's to seal.

And our test flight?? Just great, everything worked. Here's a few images from our trip over Santiam Pass to Suttle Lake:

Campsite 17 at Cold Water Cove Campground, Clear Lake, Willamette NF, OR:

Canada Geese at Suttle Lake, Link Creek Day Use Area:

Mt Washington from the Round-Suttle-Lake Trail:

A Ponderosa Pine in our Link Creek Campground campsite:

Suttle Lake from our campsite at Link Creek Campground, Suttle Lake, Deschutes NF, OR:

It was cold!! Rained both evenings into the night. Which allowed us to check out the furnace's operation--toasty although the CCC-2 was a bit confusing to properly operate. Guess we need some education there.

Thanks for following us on our adventure. May you have a great next trip, too!!!

Old 06-24-2016, 11:34 PM   #118
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Awning Repair

As mentioned last post, the remaining big repair and unknown was the awning. We could see the awning fabric was pulling out of the aluminum case so we were afraid the awning could completely come apart and we didn’t touch it. Sure missed having an awning on our three test flights, tho.

We pulled the Phoenix over to the closest Zip Dee authorized repair guy, where we unrolled the awning. The fabric appeared good, but it was off the case roll most places. And we could not connect the locking arms for some reason. Bad news—have to pull the awning off the trailer. Good news—may only need new polycord.

The awning guy said he didn’t do sewing, so we were on our own. We checked Air Forums for guiding expertise and a big shout out to Zeppelinium, barts, and webspinner for their excellent informative threads. Thank you all!!

We ordered new polycord. The awning basically fell off after we unwound the spring—24 turns I counted. Our flatbed trailer made a convenient work table. Following Zip Dee’s pdf file on awning fabric removal, we also removed the first slat from the awning case.

The polycord had melted onto the awning fabric and we had to undo all the stitching and physically pull the fabric open where it rolled around the polycord. Fortunately we could pry the polycord off the fabric and Susan sewed in new polycord with her venerable Viking sewing machine using a #18 jeans needle and heavy UV resistant thread.

Susan tried getting the fabric and polycord into the aluminum slat—after 20 minutes she got ¾ inch inserted. So the next problem was opening the crimps. This photo shows the crimps at the end of the slat.

My first attempts involved wedging two slot screw drivers into the crimp and prying apart. This caused some damage and wasn’t particularly effective, so I tried wood chisels and other torture instruments without achieving better results. By this time it was dark, which gave me time to “sleep on it”.

Recalling that the Zip Dee .pdf suggests vise grips, I hot footed it to the hardware store the next morning where I found an 8 inch vise grip made for sheet metal working that was narrow enough to fit into the crimped channel.

Loading the awning slat into a bench vise, I gave my new vise grip a try and wow, that is the way to do it. Three photos: before, tool inserted, and after.

With the crimps spread open, I was able to thread the awning fabric into the slat by myself in minutes. Here’s a photo showing the completed stuff job and the tools needed to finish the end.

Here’s my crimp job with the vise grip tool I used. This tool looks exactly like the one in the Zip Dee .pdf and, for the detail oriented, it is a vise grip model 10R, which has smooth, not serrated jaw tips. Yeah, probably crimped the slat too much, but it was done!!

In this photo the awning fabric with attached slat is halfway installed. I fed the slat from the ladder while Susan backed the flatbed trailer slowly.

There was no way the locking arms were catching the awning roller ends and lock into place. Measuring showed the awning fabric shrank 4”, so I drilled a 3/8 inch diameter hole ¼” deep in each locking arm 4” from the last factory made detent. Our thanks to Jimmy at Zip Dee for suggesting the hole size and depth and letting us know that the heat our Phoenix went thru can make the awning fabric shrink.

We then rewound the spring, going 25 turns as the original 24 didn’t seem enough tension. That was too much and we backed out 4 turns, which, since the awning still readily rolls itself up, is still too much tension per instructions, but we liked the way the awning case snapped closed.

The results were great. The locking arms lock at just the right length—much better than the awning on our old 31’ Sovereign.

Had to give the awning a test:

Yep, the awning works perfect in our driveway. Now we’ve got to give it a field trial. Where should we go??

This ‘fix’ ends rehab on our trailer. True, I haven’t installed the blinds in the vista view windows yet; or finished recaulking the beltline and a few places here and there. But that’s minor so for now, at least, rehab is complete. Maybe. For I see that the clear coat isn’t looking so good on top. So probably this fall I’ll be stripping and re clear coating the end caps. Maybe.

So the next post up will be the cost accounting post. How much did it really cost? Does the result justify the expense? Knowing what we know now, would we do this again??

Old 06-25-2016, 05:32 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Check out my Smoking HOT Deal on a 2009 FB Flying Cloud

I don't know if the costs (including your labor) will be justified in a financial/accounting sense - but even if it would have been "cheaper" to buy 2 Pendletons, you must feel so great for what you've accomplished! You know every detail of your trailer inside and out (Jackson Center knows mine better than I do) and we all got to learn a lot through the process.

It's been inspirational to see your vision what what looked like a destroyed trailer to something so beautiful. Money can't buy that.

Really great job. Thanks for sharing and congrats!!!
Old 07-02-2016, 06:50 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
You guys are great! I love the fact that you took something that most people would turn their nose up at & worked so hard to make it beautiful again. You have vision & tenacity as well as great skill! Thanks too for the awning tutorial....I'm coming up to that spot on my current project & those crimps are a bugger! Going to go find me a vice grip like you used! Enjoy your trailer :-)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #121
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
You guys are great! I love the fact that you took something that most people would turn their nose up at & worked so hard to make it beautiful again. You have vision & tenacity as well as great skill! Thanks too for the awning tutorial....I'm coming up to that spot on my current project & those crimps are a bugger! Going to go find me a vice grip like you used! Enjoy your trailer :-)
Why thank you Becky B. Susan and I admire your work, too!!

That vice grip for sheet metal worked so well it was a crime not to post about it, and then you get into telling the tale so anybody can understand, so we ended up with a tutorial kinda thing. Generally the Zip Dee instructions are good, but they did not adequately describe the tools--there are a lot of different Vise Grip tools these days. Overall, the awning was easy if awkward to work on

As far as the Phoenix goes, we tried to punch out our 'punch' list today with the usual mixed results. I did finally get the vista view window shades installed--photos below. Plus a few odds-and-ends jobs and addressing the leaks in both the shower head and the galley side spray. Shower fixed by reinstalling the original, even tho it was discolored. The replacement sidespray leaked worse than the original, so put the original back on and will address some other day.

Made some anti-rodent screens for the trailer frame. In our 31' Sovereign mice found their way into the trailer by following the 7 wire loom thru the trailer frame tubing and into the trailer interior. Putting 'hardware cloth' in the open ends of the frame tubing at the 'A' frame put an end to their cohabitation!!

Since rodents accessing airstreams thru the frame has been a chronic problem well documented in these forums, we thought the mothership corrected the design, but inspection showed the tubing wide open on the 2009, too. So made some rodent defeaters for the Phoenix, too. These are easy to make and the sheet metal vise grips allows you to make nice, tight bends.

I took a long time to mount the shades in the Vista View Windows. I felt these were not the right shades from the get go and actually took them back to the dealer. The original shades had 12 pleats, as do the shades used in Airstreams right up to the present. Here's the part No and the shades as installed--they are stretched so tight it takes two hands to open and close them. After installing them I still feel they are not the right part, damn the official parts book.

Here's the anti-rodent screen. We push these into the open end of the frame tubes underneath the coupler. They are a little bigger than the opening size, so friction holds them in place. The ones for the 1973 Sovereign are still in place 25 years later.

Hope to get out camping for a couple days. You all do the same!!

Old 07-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #122
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Pillow Fight!!!!

He says: Aaugh!! What are all of these stupid decorator pillows for? It is baffling! Where do I put them when I want to go to bed? Where can I put my clothes?

She says: They make me happy! They make our trailer comfy, cozy and inviting. Besides they look good!

He says: Look good? Who sees it? Just me and I see a waste. All that gas we spend hauling those decorator pillows around!

She says: You just don't understand, you never will! You men!

...to be continued....
Old 07-10-2016, 11:09 PM   #123
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Point to ponder: Happy wife, happy life.

Don't continue, Logic will NOT work.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:28 AM   #124
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Pillow Fight 2

So the bountious pillows take up half the bed. DW moved them to the lounge area so we had enough room to sleep in the bed.

Once she was up, we moved them back to the bed. Kind of a Sisyphean task, and no doubt this saga will continue.

But on to other things. Yes, we did take a Phoenix Flight over to the back side of Oregon's highest point, Mt Hood. And it was a very enjoyable trip with only one misadventure.

Seems that when testing the leaking hand spray in the galley, I left the water pump on. Anyhow, we are enroute and we pull over at the Bennett Pass Snowpark to check out boondocking possibilities and I round the trailer to check the tires--you know--good swift kick to the sidewall and if your foot hurts the tire's still inflated nicely.

And I hear the water pump running.

I rush to the tow vehicle for the trailer keys, all the while imagining the galley sink running onto the sink cover, water sloshing and splashing merrily over the kitchen counter, onto the floor, then coursing downhill to the bed room.

Prying the door open, I find the galley faucet running full bore, but luckily dear wife had neither put the sink cover on, stored anything in the sink, or closed the sink stopper. Whew!! Why didn't I buy a lottery ticket at that moment.

Here's what that offender looks like:

I turn off the water and turn on the systems monitor. Status: fresh water tank empty; gray water tank full.

So here we are, enroute to a campground that doesn't have drinking water or a waste dump with a trailer bereft of drinking water but endowed with a full waste tank!!! My shower, my shower, my poor, poor shower!!

What to do?? Ah, we'll manage, besides, its all downhill from the pass to the campground anyway.

And we had a very nice flight (once we determined there was enough water left to make coffee for the whole trip).

And more about those pillows later, maybe in a new thread. Pillows hijacking a perfectly good fix-it thread, I tell 'ya!

Not to worry, rmkrum:

And for what else we did this flight:

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/vi...hp?f=8&t=24220

Happy streaming!! Oh, and always turn off your water pump! Doh!!!

Old 07-11-2016, 01:11 AM   #125
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Love the undignified doggie portrait. My crazies do this all the time. Nothing like a pup as a traveling companion. Our pack is up to half a dozen, all rescues. Lapsitters all.

Edit: Oh, yes they get along well, travel even better. They have their little lap sharing protocols and order. Interestingly the latest rescues get the most lap time, but yield quickly when the alpha male needs my lap.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:34 AM   #126
Rivet Master

Corona , California

The two latest rescue pups are crammed together next to me. They take turns being on top of the pile. Arm of the chair is the backstop. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468218876.620749.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	266458