Silverton , Oregon
They made it

Old 05-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #101
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Maiden Voyage

Yes, it is true! Our Phoenix has flown the coop! We are not completely free of issues, however. Yet to be addressed: Repairing the plastic spline in the ZipDee awning, shake down on the furnace and water system (we "dry-camped"), caulking the shower door, and probably a bunch of other details.
Dave doesn't want to post pictures until he has the official "Airstream" logo reapplied to front and back. I am amazed that all of the alluminum sheets and rivet holes all lined back up!
Our first trip was a doozy. We were invited along on a trip to the far opposite corner of the State, Lake Owyhee State Park. We wanted to do a short shake out the problems trip before hand, but never had the time. We went with a large tool box, but didn't need a thing out of it. The trailer rolled and performed magnificently. Well, at least the systems that we had ready to go. Nearly 1000 miles, no problems! We borrowed my SIL and daughter's TV (Can O'Beans). So, looking for a used Ford F 250 or Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 Quad cab.
Pictures soon to follow!

Susan
Old 05-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #102
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Maiden Flight

Well you know how things go. You book a reservation at a campground so far far away, and they've got your money, so when the day comes you go even if you aren't ready. And we weren't, but we went, with the first stop the Airstream dealer for more parts.

450 miles later we pulled into Lake Owyhee State Park, a torrential thunderstorm in progress. All the lightning made the road easier to see!!

Our campsite the next morning:

That evening the lightning began to play again, and judging by the water standing in the beverage cup holders on the cooler, about 3/4 inch rain fell.

Another fine sunny morning dawned, and we saddled up. You drive thru a one lane tunnel going in and out of the State Park:

Down the road (US 20) a bit at Drinkwater Pass:

We headed to Silver Lake, OR, home of the Silver Lake Cafe, famous for steaks. It was closed!!! Rats, hot dogs again.

We took a local road connecting Silver Lake with the Klamath Marsh NWR and US 97. We detoured off to Upper Buck Campground, which wasn't even signed--I just pulled off the road at a side spur and voila, picnic tables, potty, campground signage.

We were so thrilled to have an operational, if not fully functional trailer, that we stopped at Crescent Lake Campground off of US 58 for another night out. Marvellous to have a whole campground to ourselves!!

Back to minding the homestead. My that lawn grew while we were gone!!

Thanks for watching.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #103
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
The Phoenix Saga Continues

Somehow I thought our campground reservation was for May 25. NOT. May 5. And the forecast was for heavy thunder showers, so I had to deal with roof issues stat leaving no time for systems testing prior to departure, other than the propane joints for leaks. Yep—leaks!! Picked up new regulator and connecting hoses on way out of town, installed next day at campground. Leaks fixed, stove, cook top, and refer running on propane!

May 18: unit washed and waxed. Yet to do: testing of water system and a dry run of using our septic system clean out as a dump station, install decals, misc detail work. Tally up the costs—the Phoenix didn’t turn out cheap—watch for later post.

During this project several issues cropped up of possible interest to Airstream owners. Some photos follow.

1) Caulk. Sikaflex 221 does not adhere to Fantastic Fans. I had to recaulk my new Fantastic Fans using Dicor Lap Sealant. Dicor Lap Sealant is supposed to have cracking/deterioration issues so I would have preferred to use Sikaflex 715 if I could have found it.

2) AC Drain Line Replacement. My AC drain line was cracked inside the trailer wall. I could neither remove it nor run a snake thru it, so I had to route a new line. To follow the pathway of the original, which runs from the AC to the front of the roadside wheel well, I would have had to remove the interior on the road side and drop the interior skin. Way too much work. In my unit the drain line starts in front of the refer, so I pulled the refer, cut a hole in the interior skin concealed by the wood cabinet to pass the new drain line into the refer compartment. I then ran the line in the roadside corner of the refer compartment, terminating at the well where the refer’s own drain line ends. Not an ideal situation as any condensate will now drip out the refer door BUT no good alternatives. A limiting factor here is the refer is a potential carbon monoxide generator when running on propane so I did not want to make any extra holes and thoroughly caulked around the one hole I did make.

3) AC/Heatpump Install Issues. The AC/Heatpump (Dometic Penguin II with CCC 2 Thermo) came with zero install instructions, no second gasket kit, and no 4 wire communication cable to connect thermostat. Many thanks to Lewster for his excellent thread covering the correct method of installing drain pans and second gasket kit. I used a 4 wire phone line for a comm cable. A standard 4 wire phone line does have the correct ends (RG11) but will need to be cut and respliced so one end is “flipped over” to work. Dometic does have instructions on the web, but they cover install of many different models so careful reading is required. Make sure AC dip switches are correct for your unit’s equipment.

4) AC/Heatpump can admit insects. The caulk job under my AC/Heatpump shroud left a gap in the wiring port marmolated stink bugs used to get into the trailer.

5) Wiring Color Code not followed. I found the 12V outlet at the Entertainment center was wired with brown wire (correct color for 12V outlets) but was electrically connected to the gray circuit. Pulling the brown circuit fuse did not cut power to this outlet, a fact which raised uncertainty about Airstream’s consistency in following wiring color code.

Photos:

Drain Line Connection. Tubing is 5/8” OD x ½” ID. Note two gasket layers—gray above (comes installed on Penguin II) and white (gasket kit you apply).

Penguin II wiring connections. At right AC romex, 10 gauge blue 12V and ground wires. At left, 16 ga blue and black wires to LP Furnace and 4 wire phone line to Thermostat.

Wiring port on Penguin II showing caulk job—insects can get in here.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #104
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Amazing work ethic and process engaged for a difficult and extended project!

<HatTip>

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #105
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Different Week, Different Tow Vehicle

Now that the Phoenix is a functional unit, we have to address the issue of an appropriate tow vehicle. Our aged 1990 3/4T Suburban has too many issues to be a safe TV and technology has moved on.

So, instead of working on the Phoenix and getting the last issues resolved and systems checked out, we've been test driving pickups!!

The local Airstream dealer rents tow vehicles and we rented one for a quick overnight trip to Big Lake off of Oregon's Santiam Pass. This gave us the opportunity to real life test drive the 2013 Ford F150 with 3.5L ecoboost engine with our trailer.

The departure:

Trailer Trip!!

Mosquito Repellent:

Landed:

Mt Washington seen from our campsite:

The Ford F150 with 3.5L ecoboost was a dynamite TV. Excellent torque, hp, and integrated brake control all very nice, almost car like steering but with a stiff suspension.

BUT no payload capacity. With just the two of us, some firewood, chairs and sundries in the bed, and a 900 lb tongue weight, we were maxed out.

If it were just the two of us, and no extras in the pick up bed, the F150 with 3.5 L would be the ticket with 365 hp and 420 ft/lbs torque. But we hope to have grandkids and their gear with us so we need to look elsewhere for more payload capacity.

As of today, we've test driven maybe 15 pick ups. Mostly Ford and Ram diesels. But in our price range most of what we've seen has some serious short comings. Almost all of the vehicles currently offered by dealers in our area are auction purchased vehicles out of Canada, mostly Alberta. These are oil field rigs and were driven by employees who didn't care about the company or its rigs. So we haven't been liking what we've been seeing for sale. Definitely caveat emptor.

Hopefully the TV search will end soon, as it has been a distraction from getting the Phoenix fully fledged.

And the camping? Good, but COLD. 41 degrees inside the trailer come morning, but the furnace worked like a champ getting the chill off.

Best to you!

PS. If you are in the Pacific NW, Airstream Adventures NW truck rental rate of $85.00/day can't be beat. No mileage fee charged.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #106
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Gotta say, your silver smoker is looking great! Awesome job saving her.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #107
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Trailer looks great. Glad to see somebody finally figured out how to remove the C learn coat.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Before:

After:

You guys have done an absolutely amazing job with this. Time to enjoy it!

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #109
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Check out my Smoking HOT Deal on a 2009 FB Flying Cloud

An amazing transformation, smart progression and a strong work ethic can work wonders.

I tip my hat to ya for a job well done!

What a change!!

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Interior

I'm not an interior decorator, so this is back to the basics minus the plastic melty parts that sliced our scalps open every time we walked through. The melted parts extended 1/3 of the way toward the floor--impressive! Like a stalactite----or is it stalagmite?
Front and back, but really could use new cushions and covers. However, it is Heaven to us!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160505_125012.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	263865   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160505_125141.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	263866  

Old 06-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The rule is stalactites " stick tight " to the ceiling. Stalagmites sit on the floor. Yeah, I know more trivia....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:39 AM   #112
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Panhandle , West Virginia
I just remember C for ceiling, G for ground.