Old 03-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #57
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I think you will find the Plasticoat has melted from the heat, and the soot melted into it. You may have better results getting some Aircraft Stripper, removing the ruined Plasticoat, then either re-coating or polishing.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Christine wasn't evil....just a bit over-protective.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #59
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I like your TV. I really miss my 83 Sub. I saw a post about a person that had painted their AS with a metallic silver automotive paint. It really looked good.
But the "Kingsford" look is cool too. Everything has a story. If the lookie-loos drive you nuts with questions, you could have brochures printed. You could tell everyone it was used by NASA at area 51 on a UFO experiment gone bad.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Or you can say it exceeded warp factor one for a brief period.....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #61
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I have read that stripper will not remove the newer plasticote.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The big picture of your trailer with the police car really shows that the upper panel itself has expanded/drooped/warped. But from here (admittedly a safe distance) the bottom panel and the curved segments look remarkably good. Well, they could look very good IF the tar can be coaxed off.

So as I see it you have three choices:
  1. replace the upper side panels and clean everything else so it's almost as good as new.
  2. leave it alone and travel in areas where hail occurs frequently - on the theory that the hail keylors will draw attention away from the burned clearcoat and distorted sections.
  3. paint it or so something gaudy - maybe phoenix wings - to draw attention TO the survival and it's scars. And it's gnarly rep as a tough survivor.
Me... I'd go for new panels.

Happy trails. p
Old 03-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Phoenix Progress to Date

First and foremost, I want to thank everyone who made suggestions about our firebird. We have carefully considered your input. Photos follow that show our progress to date after a month’s off-and-on work.

Our progress was impeded by a windstorm March 17 that brought wind gusts to 60 mph. We did not have the windows latched on the airstream, and the wind broke out the rear window. We live on a wooded lot, and we had a major pick-up project of broken tree limbs.

Here is what we started with:

And how the Phoenix looks today:

Here’s the exterior cleaning test, for review:

From this test I noticed that the Orange GoJo hand cleaner seemed effective if allowed to dwell on the surface. Here is the same window after four hand cleaner applications, all with extended contact time, one with overnight (12 hour) contact time, and two with baking soda added. All scrubbed with a toothbrush.

This was promising, if labor intensive. The window cleaned up without stripping the clear coat. Unfortunately this procedure did not translate to the other windows—the staining did not come off and the clear coat was spotty or missing under the stain. I had to use gasoline, the least aggressive of the clear-coat-dissolving chemicals in my test, to finish up.

Windows and awning rail before.

Windows after successive scrubbings with the three products shown in photo.

Windows after gasoline cleaning.

This still left the glops of melted roofing material to deal with. I noticed that these were softer when the sun warmed the trailer’s skin, and found that the cheapest ice scraper at Walmart, a $0.75 item, was effective at scraping them off, although a heavy residue remained. Unfortunately, I did not realize at first that using force to scrape off the glops dented the aluminum skin. When I used a heat gun to soften the remaining residue, these small dents became much more noticeable.

My current procedure is to heat the glops with the heat gun and then scrape them off gently. The downside to this is that the partially melted glop smears over the surface, making the area requiring hand scraping much larger. But it works.

Roofing Tar glops removed, but surface not cleaned

Surface cleaned using heat (heat gun) and scraping (blunt metal wood chisel) followed by cleaning (‘Crud Cutter’ and gasoline).

This photo shows my process on cleaning the glops. At left, furthest up shell, glops are not removed, in middle, glops removed but residue not scraped or chemically cleaned, and, above lettering, scraped and cleaned. The remaining stains seem to be in the clear coat. We hope a light cut with ‘swirl remover’ like Mequiar’s ‘Swirl Remover 2.0’ will remove/reduce these.

We do not intend to do a complete clear coat strip and recoat. If we have to recoat it looks like PPG, the manufacturer of the clear coat, makes effective clear coat strippers. These are listed on their website under their aircraft product line. Also, FYI, Methyl Ethyl Ketone and Laquer Thinner both appear to be weak solvents for the PPG product—not strong enough to use as strippers, but potentially useful for spot clean up.

Duncans has been working like a fiend on the trailer’s interior. Here’s the magic she has performed on the bathroom.

Bathroom Before

Bathroom After

Refrigerator Compartment Before—How can a closed compartment get so sooty?

Refrigerator Compartment After

It’s Alive!!

Better Than New (Filled with Cold Refreshment)

We still have a long ways to go. On the interior, the soot is extremely hard to remove. It penetrates every bit of every surface. Since the cabinets and floor have a wood grain finish, it is virtually impossible to get it out of the recesses. We have made big progress, but are still working on the traces and hidden places.

I still have to remove the gloppy tar from the trailer roof and ends. Once completed, we can repaint the top of the trailer and use a light cut compound on the clear coat cut followed by polish. If you have used a cutting compound on your later airstream with the PPG coating, please let me know what you used and how satisfied you were with the results. On the advice of a local body shop, I was going to go with Meguiar’s ‘Swirl Remover 2.0’, which is rated as a light cut product.

Finally, once the exterior is as good as we are going to get it, we can start installing new lights, fans, vents, and the AC.

Summer, here we come!!

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Nellysford , Virginia
Wow. Thanks for the update. We admire your hard work.
TAC VA-18 | WBCCI 1927 - Unit 149 | AIR 53869
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Looking great! I love this thread.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Now that's a satisfying project, for sure! Thanks for posting....I always look forward to your progress! I never thought it would look as good as it does already!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:21 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
That's an amazing transformation, great job!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #68
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
What a beautiful transformation. You're going to have a showcase Airstream with all the attention to detail you're putting into this. Congrats and keep us posted. Love it.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I'm in awe. I apparently lack the vision and the skills to pull of that miracle. Well done (and no pun intended...).

Truly awesome!!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
This is some amazingly painstaking work...

But, I gotta admit...I kinda LIKE the bronze-ish smoked exterior!!!