Old 07-11-2016, 01:45 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Probably got too warm. Bottom dog worked his way to the chair arm to cool off. Sillies!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468219510.865506.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	266459

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #128
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Adorable! That's a lot of feet in one trailer! You must have some sort of a foot-wiping system going on there! (Good for you, rescue King!)

Old 07-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #129
Rivet Master

Corona , California
The pups are small enough to pass through to open slider thingie in the screen door. One of us inside, the other outside walking them in pairs.

These two were wandering in the street, starving and so matted they could hardly walk. Now they are totally committed to the art of being a lap dog.

I sometimes think dogs deprived of human contact get real psychological issues.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #130
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I sometimes think dogs deprived of human contact get real psychological issues.
With you there. We're convinced that Golden Retrievers suffer real psychological pain and eventually go bonkers if they don't have enough human contact. Definitely *not* a "yard dog" breed.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #131
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think that is true for any dog that gets used to human contact, and then is deprived of it.

My Lily certainly craves it, and is so grateful every day for love and care...wags her tail, without fail, every time I fill her food bowl.

Maggie
Old 07-14-2016, 01:10 AM   #132
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Check out my Smoking HOT Deal on a 2009 FB Flying Cloud

Yep. Now multiply that joy by half a dozen. All at the same time. The love is palpable.

We suspect the pups had little human contact, but they crave it the most. The rest take turns as they need and prefer. It's interesting how they share and cooperate. (To a point). The Alpha male gets his way when he wants it, but willingly yields when he is satisfied--about 20 minutes. The rest take their turns, but the picture ends up as above late in the evening. Contentment to the max.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #133
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
There's too many pillows
Old 07-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #134
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Pillow Fight Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can of beans View Post
There's too many pillows
If this seems arcane, please refer to post 122. Can of beans is borrowing our Phoenix for the weekend and is gaining first hand experience of the pillow plethora.

Can of beans? Both of you thinking there are too many or just the male half opining? These are treacherous waters and I must be careful!!

And Evelyn, she must be taking the opposite view that there aren't near enough (for proper pillow fort building).

Anyhow, it was with great sadness that we watched the Phoenix disappear down the drive and over the hill--like a setting, silvery moon gleaming less and less until gone altogether. Our escape pod had vanished, leaving us stranded and, horrors, face-to-face with the weeds and other work we've ignored around here.

We had to revive our spirits with a nicely chilled Pinot Gris.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Feels like "Along Came Polly" 😀
Old 08-07-2016, 12:10 AM   #136
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Foldette Door Cleaning

When refitting the Phoenix we discussed the Foldette Doors. The originals came thru the Phoenix’s fire OK—yep, could still use ‘em. But they were sooty and smelly. Do we really need them?

DW and I circled the need issue, deciding finally they were an easier alternative to closing the drapes and blinds each time we wanted a clothing change or a shower. This decision made, I looked for Foldette Door cleaning instructions.

First stop was the owner’s manual which, despite its lengthy section on cleaning, doesn’t mention cleaning Foldette Doors. Next was Air Forums where I found a mere handful of posts, none of which discussed cleaning. Last resort was Google, which found a few more posts on SOB RV sites, but no cleaning info.

Well Jeez, doesn’t anybody clean ‘em? Since they sit in little pockets, is it out of sight, out of mind? Is this a taboo subject never mentioned in polite society?

I inspected the fabric and it had that “dry clean only” look. Our choice was clean it, or buy a new one. With nothing to lose, I suspended the door from its own track which I had clamped to an upper tread of an orchard ladder. Concerned that the fabric would not remember its pleats if wetted, I fastened the center strap and rubber banded the top and bottom, making a neat pleated bundle. I sprayed down the Foldette Door with water, followed with a liberal application of “Oil Eater” (available at auto supply stores in a spray bottle), rinsed copiously until the foaming quit, and let the door hang until dry.

The Foldette doors came out pretty clean. The obvious soot was visible only if you knew where to look. The odor wasn’t as strong but still detectable. The pleats looked fine. So I reinstalled one of them. Holding off on installing the second in hopes the odor will fade—a false hope no doubt. Maybe I’ll try another cleaning product. Maybe if I could scrub a bit? Have any of you cleaned your foldette doors? And how did you achieve success??

Sorry, no photos.

The Phoenix’s other ‘soft goods’ are similar. In the best and most well financed world we would change out the lounge cushions, mattress, and Foldette Doors for new. So we are not done spending.

But we did get out of town to Crater Lake NP!!! Awesomely cool place, that.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:53 PM   #137
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
I Locked Myself In The Shower!!!

During one of our many parts trips to the local Airstream dealer, we toured a 2016 25’ Flying Cloud FB. The trailer is pretty much the same as our 2009 Phoenix. We did notice the 2016 had a shower door retainer-- one you turn 90 degrees to keep the shower door from opening as you jostle down the road. Why did we have a big screw in that spot?

Have to rectify this!! So we bought a shower door retainer—it was in stock and less than $4.00, so seemed an awesomely sweet deal. Until last week’s little trip to Crater Lake National Park, that is.

We did hike to the lakeshore from the crater rim and whew it was hot!!! And we followed with a side trip to the North Umpqua River’s Tokeetee Falls. (An awesome double falls located a short distance North of the National Park, but much lower elevation so even hotter).

So it was into the shower. And that is where the sweet deal went sour. The little retainer doesn’t clear the door in the “open” position.

As the shower door clicked behind me I had an awful feeling. Yep, I was trapped like a rat. And you can’t reach the door retainer from inside!! (Well, OK, you can unscrew it from the inside, but that’s cheating.)

“Dear, I think I’ve locked myself in the shower”.

“Oh!!! Really??”

The Take Away from Crater Lake:
Don’t fix everything—sometimes it’s that way for a reason.

Removed shower door retainer, with PO’s screw solution:

Installed door retainer in “open” position.

Installed door retainer in “travel” position.

Tokeetee Falls:

Crater Lake’s Wizard Island:

Blue Water:

Old 08-07-2016, 11:41 PM   #138
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Check out my Smoking HOT Deal on a 2009 FB Flying Cloud

Heh. The smallest engineering change has the widest, most far-ranging side effects...

Murphy was an optimist 😀

Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 AM   #139
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
That shower retainer looks like a different, larger one than what we have on our 2013 25FB FC.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:11 PM   #140
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
The Phoenix Flies Wyoming

The Phoenix flew to Ray’s Wyoming Rockdocking adventure. We aren’t keen on marathon mileages, so Phoenix and we took several days to get to Wyoming and back. The whole trip was tremendously scenic and, in the course of 2700 miles and 15 days we found more items to add to the fixit list.

Buck Deer roaming downtown Union, Oregon.

We camped in a boondock area in the Snowy Range. Elevation was about 10,700 feet and the hot water heater acted up. The door of same has no perforations at the air intake, and apparently at this elevation the air moving thru the burner was a mixture of fresh and used air and didn’t have enough oxygen to keep the flame going. The solution was to leave the water heater door open.

View out our window at the Snowy Range boondock site.

Near the end of the trip the bathroom lights quit working. Well, I knew what had happened—miles of washboard roads had jiggled the wires off the switch contacts. Sure enough, I popped the switch out of the wall and both wires were no longer attached. I looked at the wires. The wires looked at me. And as I reached for them, they, snake-like, retreated into the wall cavity and disappeared from sight.

“Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!” I screamed. But in Wyoming’s high altitude, no one could hear me. So for the balance of the trip we used a backpacker LED lantern in the bath room. Back home I removed the little panel behind the Foldette Door to access the wires. I fixed their wagon good. Not only did I tape those two wires to the other four running into that switch assembly, but I taped all six wires to the wall above the switch so if any come off they can’t fall down the wall cavity.

Home sweet boondock in the Snowy Range, WY.

Then there was the incident at the propane refill station in Laramie, WY. Surprisingly it was difficult to find a place selling propane in Laramie on a Saturday, and the place we did find employed very diligent students from the University of Wyoming. They noticed that the propane bottle needed recertification and, as all places that could recert a bottle were closed, we had to buy a new bottle. This was a bit of a rankle, as we had to pay $10 more for the exact same bottle we could buy at home PLUS pay Wyoming sales tax, which was another $10 (no sales tax in Oregon). But this begs the question, why was there an out of date propane bottle on a 2009 trailer?? Phoenix, do you have another story to tell??

At least the student’s tips about where to eat lunch were excellent. Lovejoy’s signature burger comes highly recommended.

Trail sign in saddle between Sugarloaf and Medicine Bow Mountains, Snowy Range, WY.

And the water pump, it did an excellent job of pumping water, but Wow! Something like 25% of the energy it used was dissipated as noise. The only consolation was the noise wasn’t loud outside the trailer, so we hopefully didn’t annoy our fellow boondockers. Gotta remount that pump.

Tri level dust. Pink from Montpelier Reservoir, grey from Doublecabin, tan from Pahsimeroi.

On a positive note, Phoenix is pretty dust tight. Certainly tighter than our 1973. Yes, there was a nice dust accumulation inside the refer compartment, the hot water heater compartment, and you could grow potatos in the bumper storage compartment, but the furnace and tool compartment were clean, and no dust in the living quarters.

Smoke from the Pioneer Fire, central Idaho. Still burning August 31, I might add.

We did have an adventure with the cook top. On about day 5 a spider crawled into the cook top and did some web building in the orifices of the main burner. The effect of the spider’s addition was to occlude the main burner causing some of the gas to diffuse underneath the cook top. With the burner on, this accumulating gas would eventually ignite, and a small wall of flame would flash across the entire width of the cook top. This was certainly exciting—much more effective at waking us up than the coffee we were so desperately attempting to brew—and did help warm the trailer up.

47WeeWind assisted us in diagnosing the failures of the cook top, which after some cleaning and compressed air, cooked coffee just fine. Thanks, Fred. We raise our coffee cups in salute of your assistance.

Mist on Stanley Lake, Idaho. Temp 38 inside trailer, 25 outside.

The furnace worked like a champ. The coldest night was our second in the Snowy Range. We got up to view the Perseid Meteor Shower at 3 AM and the ground was frozen hard. We were concerned our tanks would freeze so we fired up the furnace to keep heat on our plumbing. Maybe a skirt for the trailer isn’t a bad idea.

Stanley Lake Inlet Campground, Sawtooth National Recreation Area, Idaho.

We had quite a few issues with doors coming open. Mainly the frig door, but also the shower door, some drawers, and the cabinet doors beneath the sink. We reinstalled the shower door retainer as the shower door just would not stay shut and we were afraid we could break it. The old Dometic refers had a positive lock that you could close over both freezer and refer doors—sure hope to find something similar as there is nothing like finding your groceries warm and a couple of leaking pop cans rolling over the entire floor to top off a long road day.

Bridgework. See why I don’t like those plastic blocks?

And finally, the last morning, the ultimate bone head operator error. I’m part way thru departure preparation, have the stabilizing jacks all up, but go in for breakfast without putting up the tongue jack. Somehow I think I’m done—“Pull ahead dear, we’ve got to get off the blocks”. Scraaaaape. No more tongue jack tube!!! Oh well, we are almost home.

Except for that little indignity we and the Phoenix shared an excellent adventure. Nothing like views like this:

Mt Borah, Idaho’s Highest.