Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Aptos , California
Black vs. Cashew Ultraleather with kids

Anybody have any thoughts on black vs. cashew ultra leather and how it might show dirt and scuffs with kids? I'm looking at buying a new bunkhouse and can't decide which would be better with my four minions dragging everything in with them.
Thanks,
Dave
farmerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
They're probably equally rugged. Everyone thinks dark is better... but black and white cars look dirty if they're not washed every week or so. A mid tone car shows a bit less dirt. Cashew would be my choice - plus I'd get a couple of cheap blankets OR big bath sheet sized towels to toss over the furniture too.

Paula
Old 03-15-2015, 02:42 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Black leather is great for a jacket but I , too, would vote for the cashew.
I think it will show less dirt. Plus in the heat of summer during the day the black ultra leather might be hot.
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
We have beige in our 2014 which I believe is very similar to cashew. After a year with 3 kids (5, 9, and 11) it still looks like new. Food spills is the biggest mess we have, but it cleans up easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB. We specifically sought out a new 25FB with the Black ultraleather. This is our second Airstream with the black ultraleather. Our first Airstream (2005 Safari 25FB) had a lighter cloth upholstery. We spent over 1,300 nights in this Airstream. With the heavy use that the 2005 got, the lighter material became dingy over the years.

When we traded the 2005 Safari for a 2012 Flying Cloud 23FB, the slightly used unit that we found had black ultraleather. We traveled in the 2012 extensively in one year and spent 150 nights in it. The upholstery still looked like brand new. We camped in Florida Summer weather and did not experience any extra heat problems with the black ultraleather. This experience prompted us into looking for a new 25FB with the black ultraleather. We have now spent only 60 nights in the 2015 25FB. We are still very happy with our choice.

One additional issue that pushed us to the black ultraleather was our experience with the tan leather interior in our 2011 Silverado pick-up truck. We ordered the truck new and were able to choose between tan and black leather interiors. We chose the tan thinking that it looked nicer. That was a big mistake. We have now had the Silverado for 3 1/2 years and have driven it almost 90,000 miles. The tan seats and door panels look really dingy. We have thoroughly cleaned the interior several times. It looks good for about a month before the dinginess returns. Please keep in mind that we really use our truck. We spend a lot of time on unpaved roads exploring the back country. We even ordered the truck without carpet on the floor due to hard use we give it. The tan interior is better suited for a shopping trip to the mall.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We had the lighter beige ultra leather in our 2005 34 and loved it. Very easy to keep clean, washed up nice, and still looked great after 3 years when the kids stopped wanting to come with us and we got a 27. We had shoe scuff marks on the wall mouse fur ( don't know how that is possible but kids are very resourceful) that were hard to wash off but the couch always looked spotless.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
I'm for Black/dark for the reasons above. I have an old Ford Explorer with tan and it never looks clean. The Camry with almost white leather is a pain to keep clean. My old BMW with black looked as new as the day it was built. Plus I think black is a way cooler look.

If it doesn't work out there is also the option of buying new replacements. Who knows what Airstream will produce next.
DuncanK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Have 2014 Classic with cashew ultraleather. We eat and do every thing on it and after almost 2 years looks like new. Love the lighter color for v/s our old trailer that was darker material.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Years ago when we were raising 3 kids, we purchased a white Oldsmobile Cutlass with white (pleather? vinyl?) interior. The white seats would get hot in the sun but nothing like black vinyl. The exterior helped keep it cooler. The white vinyl was easy to care for and we kept up with spills, dirty fingers, etc.

The exterior always looked good except in winter when the dirt-snow-salt would get on it. I've owned several white cars and they don't show dirt all that much. We have a black car now, just coming out of winter and I think it still looks pretty good. We're all in-city drivers so not much highway grime.

I dunno, maybe we're just not that picky about what you'd call "clean". But I have sat on black seats that have been in the sun and I'd never have them. I still prefer the cloth seats anyway, even dark colors won't burn you.

Cleanup is much easier with a light colored leather, much easier to see the dirt to get rid of it so it doesn't build up over time.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #10
Riveting Travels

2013 30' International
Portland , Oregon
I'm not a huge fan of the black ultraleather -- mostly for its proclivity for heat-retention - but what really bothers me about the Cashew UL is that it doesn't quite match the vinyl right next to it!
The bare necessities of life will come to you!"
MichelleNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Fresno , California
We had a chance to buy one of two 2014 30' bunkhouses both with cashew ultra leather and we opted to drive 4 hours north to a dealership that had one with black ultra leather and buy that one. I don't have any solid experience with the cashew vs. the black but I figure the black will withstand greasy little fingers from my rugrats more so than the cashew.
Plus my wife and I agreed on the look of the black over the cashew.

BTW the two cashew bunkhouses are still sitting at the dealership near by.
bullet661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:25 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Aptos , California
Thanks for the input. Lots to consider.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We traveled with the Golden (beige) Ultraleather in our FC 25 for 14 months total (actually living in it) and they looked like new when we removed the seats to install beige leather recliners, which also are perfectly clean after 20 months travel and actual living with them. We like the light color to brighten the interior and match the cabinets beautifully.

Choose the color which looks nicest to you, either will wear and clean up very well.

cheryl k
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB International
Dayton , Ohio
We went with the black because we have an active six year old. All of the dealer's golden ultraleather trailers showed dirt, pen marks, etc. when we were looking. If you don't have messy kids I'm sure the lighter color is fine but we went with the black so wouldn't have to constantly be wiping it down. Also the ultraleather is cooler than vinyl or real leather and in our part of the country a lot of the camp sites are shaded.
Artvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
My Allegro Bus had a mid gray, my Serenity has Espresso. I think if I were to order again, I would go with cashew. UltraLeather is very stain resistant and cleans easily with a damp cloth.... Even chocolate!

Ms. Tommie Lauer
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
It will not matter...there have been many discussion among parents and dog owners on this site, including I think some extensive discusson on a couple of the bunkhouse threads...when I bought mine I had the same question of the golden ultra vs. the black...and many have said nice things about all of them.

I will say this...the black shows all the bits of crumbs, dust, and dirt pretty easy in our trailer, but it is so easily cleaned...that ultraleather is magical I swear.

a small vacuum and baby wipes for anything more sticky and its all clean in the blink of an eye. Even some sticky day old marshmellow wiped right off with zero trace.

IggyWalker (my neighbors) have the golden ultraleather and have a young daughter and a dog and seems to like theirs and others in previous threads gave great feedback either way.

SO.....I would choose entirely based on what you like based on my own meta-analysis of feedback on these forums. my $0.02 anyway. Good luck!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We have Everyone remove shoes at door. Visitors we may not request, but folks usually imitate.

Grandkritters will be a challenge. For us, we are going to the lighter fabric on our "reupholster"... Then use "throw blankets" where "outside" stuff may land.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:01 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Aptos , California
Thanks for the replies

Old 03-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Aptos , California
I put a deposit on the black ultra leather bunkhouse. Thanks for the opinions.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerdave View Post
i put a deposit on the black ultra leather bunkhouse. Thanks for the opinions.

Sent from my iphone using airstream forums
sweet!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote