Old 03-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
We just carry our bikes INSIDE our AS. We bought a $25 rack at Lowes and they ride fine - no dirt, rain or danger of losing them

SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Kathy, what kind of rack do you use? Any photos?

We have a cap on our F250 and I have cut a 2x12 to fit the slots in the bed and mounted bicycle fork mounts from Yakima to secure them. Works well, but we like to use the back of the truck for the generator, extra water, and miscellaneous gear. If I could find the perfect alternative (ha!), I would try it...

Old 03-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Streamer View Post
We just carry our bikes INSIDE our AS. We bought a $25 rack at Lowes and they ride fine - no dirt, rain or danger of losing them
Kathy, I have done this for over 15 years in my old SOB. I actually mounted them with fork mounts on the dinette, folded down sans cushions. Can't do that with the AS as the dinette seats are metal framed and don't allow for tie downs.(Cushions are integral to the seat base) Had been using a board with the fork clamps in the LR and covering with a blanket and wedging them in to prevent motion with the AS for a year. HOWEVER, I found with the previous trailer, it is inevitable that you WILL booger stuff up moving them in and out as well as potential movement during emergency braking, etc.

I just am not willing to do that with the AS.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
No boogers in the Airstream!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
No boogers in the Airstream!

Don't look under my couch!!!!!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
We received our Arvika rack for our 25'FB 2010 in a week. Took about 2 hrs to install. Love it! Have traveled from Oregon to CA to AZ in snow And rain and bikes are secure and clean on arrival!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' Safari
Iron River , Michigan
Check out this link. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ier-89244.html. I made this rig last week with the help of my local welder. The rack is a Yakima swing daddy. and it works Great!!! No problem turning or backing up.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #64
Ladylongwinger

2000 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Hello, I am trying to install the Airstream bike rack on the back of my 1999 27' Safari, and am stymied at making sure there is access to both the back luggage compartment as well as the bumper storage. The back luggage compartment seems wider than the frames for the bike, and there won't be enough clearance to open the door. Anyone else tried this and had success (or failure?) Thanks! Anne in VA
Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #65
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
I am sure that we will all have to buy new ones.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #66
Winemaker

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
Airstream/Fiama Bike Rack

I recently purchased a Fiama Bike rack from AS and installed it on a 2012 FC. It took me about 3 hours and was fairly straight forward. If installed correctly the rear access/storage door clears the rack. It is however very difficult to access the storage with either the bikes on or the rack not in the folded up position.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #67
Ladylongwinger

2000 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
I bought the Fiama bike rack just before going full-time, and although I should have checked this before I departed, there was so much going on I only worried about the luggage compartment. The bigger issue is the emergency exit through the back window, which is blocked with the bike handlebars and unless you finagle the support arms, possibly the rack itself. I have several pictures I will try to post. The fix was to work the top support arm over the curve in the rack and to a position where it would not interfere with the open window. The bike needed an allen wrench to loosen and move the stem/handlebar to point behind the trailer. It will need to be readjusted every time you use the bike or store it for travel. I haven't posted pictures before so someone help me through this and you can see what I mean.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #68
Winemaker

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
I installed a Fiamma on my 2012 Flying Cloud without issue. There is a YouTube video that shows the installation procedure. Search under Fiamma bike rack and I think you will find it. It is pretty thorough.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #69
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
1975 31' Sovereign
durango , Colorado
go to https://picasaweb.google.com/1065285.../BambiBikeRack#
and see what we did for a trip to Alaska on our Bambi. Getting the bikes up and down requires some strength. We took a 3 step folding ladder which helped with that and getting the kayaks off the top of the Landcruiser.
We purchased a Thule rack for 4 bikes, but only put three on because making tight turns with 4 was risky. You take the horizontal bar off of the rack so you can mount it vertically in the new one on the Airstream. Take all of the parts along and you can switch the rack to your car if you want to go on an expedition and leave the Airstream at camp. This worked great and you can keep an eye on the bikes and not worry about them when backing up!

Folding 3 Bike Towing Rack for 2" Trailer Hitches - Swagman XP Swagman Hitch Bike Racks S64955
and here is another option, but it says for bikes and a lightweight trailer, but you could also have this fabricated.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
I was just reading your post on your bike rack. What brand is it? I see that it folds down for rear compartment access, is that correct?

Mike