Old 10-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #15
Richard

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
Randy NH has the only permanent solution. Search on Woodworkers Hardware. Download the catalog. Get the self closing or stay closed hardware. Get new hardware for all your drawers and enjoy your Airstream.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Drowers falling out.

:c ool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Picked up my new to me 2014 FC 23 FB and towed it about 350 miles today after putting clothes in the street side drawers under the wardrobe closet. Upon arrival, BOTH drawers had slid out onto the floor. A piece of hardware was torn out by the screws as well, haven't looked yet to see what it is. Appears to be something that attaches underneath a drawer, possibly a latch to allow drawer removal. Will check it out after I wake up with some energy in the am.

Pretty ridiculous, I know 'it's an RV" but you'd think that well secured drawers would be a basic thing to get right, especially on a product that costs what these do. It was smooth highway towing too, not some crazy dirt road.

Anyway...any tips on best way to secure these drawers so they don't come out again and next time damage surrounding wood work. (Ps the black plastic latches aren't broken)

Remember it does no matter what U paid for UR unit it is the people U travel with in the club that is important

I have been a Airstream member from 1990 to present and the Airstream traler is not built any better than an other trailer on the market. The best part of an airstream is the axles and the aluminum strocktor. The workmanship is no better than any other trailer on the market. The only thing that has kept airstream in business is the WBCCI. Airstream could care less how U feel about there trailer and the problems U may have with it. Take it back for repairs and they will charge big dollars and u hope they did the work right.
End of story

Old 10-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We put pillows on the floor and go ahead and take out the drawers and put them on the pillows.
As we were traveling to Poverty Point in Deli, LA just a little while ago we stopped in Vicksburg, MS for a potty break.
One drawer had come out on its own and was lying on the pillow.
The other drawer was half-way out, so I took it out and placed it on the pillow.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Had similar problems and resolved it by mounting auxiliary latches at teh backs of the drawers.

They are the tpe that use a spring and ball arrangement as a detent on the striker and the spring tension can be adjusted so as to get the amount of restraining force you want. I bought them from "Lee Valley" here in Canada.

No drawers coming out since installed a year or so back.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
This is a common problem, and it seems as if the drawer slides used on the 2014 AS were part of the cause. Check out Posts #289-290, 1048 and 1083 on the 20-footer thread, as Bob [CruizinDux] and I both posted about this.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...rs-127845.html

There are other threads which cover similar issues, for instance:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ns-148215.html

I had to glue our bottom pots/pans drawer back together and use longer screws to attach the slide pieces to the drawer and cabinet.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Edit -- My solution also includes the very low tech, and visually imperfect, addition of bungee cords to keep all drawers, oven, fridge and closet closed while on the road. See Post #1101 from 7/9/16, also in the 20-footer thread.

PS2 -- Congratulations on the new trailer! I guess that missing track/folding room divider in the 20' did not work out? Did you ever get the low-down on why it was missing?
Thanks for the info! Will follow up on the referenced posts.

The 2013 20 with the missing accordion door sold before I could commit--why the door was not there I never could establish. In any case. Got a great deal on the 2014 23 FB that made it a no brainer. Like a stupidly good deal. Had to drive 1700 miles from UT to TN to get it, but so worth it. Mint condition and I'm loving the storage and the queen bed. Working in some visits to friends and family while out this way. Currently in Cedar Key FL moochdocking and enjoying copious amounts so fresh seafood :-)
Old 10-11-2016, 10:23 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Thanks everyone for the great info and suggestions! M.hony love yours, really made me grin. As much as I think it's ridiculous we need to make fixes to our ridiculously expensive trailers just to make them functional-- I'll admit there is no other brand I'd have any interest in owning. So I'll roll with the improvements we need to make, and enjoy using it with a song in my heart :-)
Old 10-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We're headed out in a couple of days for a long cross-country trip. I don't recall ever seeing this problem on our trailer in extensive travel the past five years, now I'm concerned. Sounds more common than I would have thought.

Thanks for the heads-up, we'll watch a little more closely and report back if we see anything coming loose. I put in much larger batteries last week, more weight in the front. I might leave the spare tire at home to make up for it and keep the good ride we've had.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I am in my trailer now with my drawers on pillows on the floor because we are traveling to Texas along I-20 in Louisiana tomorrow.
I don't totally blame the trailer's construction. It takes two motions for the drawers to come out- up and out.
For both motions to be happening in tow the roads have got to be rough.
Portions of US 49 and MS 3 and I-20 in Louisiana have been repaired. It's a little better than last year. Lots of construction along I-20. Maybe it will be better in Bossier City/Shreveport. We'll see in the morning.
I might get the child proof latches.
I had them in one of my stick-built houses. I bought them at Walmart.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:55 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Sherwood , Oregon
We have not had the drawers come out but have had the drawer release mechanism pull out of the back of the drawer face because the screws are too short. When you see that the screws only penetrate the veneer you scratch your head and think why would they do that when they have a 3/4" drawer face to accept a much longer screw. Then, you replace all of them and no longer have the problem!
Old 10-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Bedroom drawers wound up on the floor. How to secure?

We use footman loops and a strap to secure everything including the fridge, closet, accordion door and oven.

Just making improvements, not changes....

Our 23 has had very few issues....and we are making lots of improvements.

Just got the nameplate from the mother ship. Looks very nice. (Virtual Caravan perk)

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I've tried and tried to upload a couple photos but it's frustratingly un-intuitive so I've given up.

I had a closer look at the drawers, each one has a pretty hefty piece of locking hardware on each side with a red plastic lever that screws under the drawer at the front, that the slide ends are supposed to lock into so the drawer cannot come off the slide if it opens. Well, on one of my drawers one of these latches tore out of the drawer and was on the floor. But on the other drawer, they are both still attached but the drawer slid off the slides anyway.

As stated on these replies, preventing the drawer from opening in the first place with beefier catches or child locks is the solution.

I should note that the first 300 miles the drawers were empty and did not open. On the second day I had loaded them with clothes, that's when they slid open, and then at some point came right off the slides and onto the floor. I'm thankful there was no damage to adjoining cabinetry or the drawer fronts.

They'll be coming out and riding on towels on the floor for the 2,000 mile ride back to Utah till I install a fix.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Field use durability testing was one of the goals of Wally's Caravans. They resulted in improvements that were not driven by the marketing department.

"Market feedback" is really letting the customers do the final product durability testing. As long as the liability suites and loss of product reputation do not kill you, it a cost effective way of avoiding the cost of conducting the tests in the engineering department.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
That's why I would never trade my 1978 AS for one built after 2002 ! My AS doesn't have drawers or top cupboard doors just bins under everywhere and 11 Tambours. I did have to replace the hinges on the 2 lower cabinets with piano hinges. Good luck with the drawers I can't offer any repair suggestions but I'm sure someone on this site will come up with a fix!
Old 10-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
What happened in 2002?